Scrimmage update

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You know @GTNavyNuke might have a convert from me this season...

Great. Two QBs with different games will kill the other D.

But I'm much more interested in the DL. Heard above Shamire looked good.

Who started on DL and how did they look? How were the second team DL players? CPJ said he had to look at tape which is what he usually says about the DL. That's where we are going to live or die; unfortunately we can only play one QB at a time.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Didn't think the presumptive starting QB was going to get dinged early and miss most of the scrimmage

Didn't think the presumptive quarterback would get injured early and his back up would light it up. On top of Paul being frustrated with the presumptive starting quarterback's inability to pitch and pass the ball with confidence.

So much so it is now officially an open competition

Thats my take ;)

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Just some personal observations, a big drop off between first and second defenses. The offensive line man handled the second defensive line. I do hope the O line puts it together this season. Not sure the pass blocking is where it needs to be.

Jordan got hurt on a play that I thought should not have happened. He got flushed and the defenders rolled him on the ground. Not sure when you are scrimmaging your selves you would intentionally try to hurt your own player. Just my thought at the time on the play.

During warm ups the QBs all looked to have lively arms.

Did our dback twins put on some weight in the off season? They are short but look to be a bit thicker. That is one of the things I like about getting to be down nearer the field (I am in the East Upper Deck since 85). You get to see the size of the players more clearly.

The QBs all have talent. Johnson has recruited well. Obviously folks here are very opinionated about their favorite.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Didn't think the presumptive quarterback would get injured early and his back up would light it up. On top of Paul being frustrated with the presumptive starting quarterback's inability to pitch and pass the ball with confidence.

So much so it is now officially an open competition

Thats my take ;)
The bad thing is, if MJ doesn't start people will say it's only because of injury and it never was a competition until he got hurt.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just a little experience talking here: When I hear coach say stuff like "player x is a big play waiting to happen for somebody" try to remember, it is way easier to learn not to make a big play for the other team than it is to learn to make a huge play for your own team. Generally speaking, the guys who are capable of making big plays often will end up rising to the top, because all they have to do is pull the reigns in a little and tap into their brains. JT was the same way. Remember how many plays he forced trying to play as a RS frosh?

All I have seen is the spring game, so tifwiw. My opinion means less than nothing at this point. However, as a coach, when I hear CPJ say stuff like "can't be tackled" or "making huge plays for somebody" it garners my interest a little more than some of the other comments like "did some good things" or "moved the team".

Truly, CPJ is unlikely to take huge risks early. What coach would? However, let's be clear about what we are dealing with here in the long term. There are a couple guys out there on the field who are above everybody else, even if they haven't reached their potential yet.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Just some personal observations, a big drop off between first and second defenses. The offensive line man handled the second defensive line. I do hope the O line puts it together this season. Not sure the pass blocking is where it needs to be.

Jordan got hurt on a play that I thought should not have happened. He got flushed and the defenders rolled him on the ground. Not sure when you are scrimmaging your selves you would intentionally try to hurt your own player. Just my thought at the time on the play.

During warm ups the QBs all looked to have lively arms.

Did our dback twins put on some weight in the off season? They are short but look to be a bit thicker. That is one of the things I like about getting to be down nearer the field (I am in the East Upper Deck since 85). You get to see the size of the players more clearly.

The QBs all have talent. Johnson has recruited well. Obviously folks here are very opinionated about their favorite.
I can't stress this enough, I highly highly doubt our guys were intentionally trying to hurt our own QB. Also the 2nd D didn't look good because some of them were 3rd team guys that played because some 1st and 2nd team guys did not play.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good reading everyone's thoughts. Many have hit the nail on the head and it's pretty obvious with all of PJ's pressers this week. I've hinted a bunch on here about why he has been so angry with the O. Now, I like every player and appreciate all of them and have no favorites. What I have heard is MJ has had a very poor camp so far and today was no different. He gets a pass with the injury today. But the rest of camp he has been reluctant to pitch, we all have seen the tape from prior years, and his passing has been as one source said "abysmal".
Pretty obvious PJ, like almost all of us, thought MJ would be QB1 and take the reins. After a week of camp and one scrimmage, its the exact opposite. I can tell you others have said they thought LJ may be the guy until today with TM's performance. TM just seems to be a gamer. Let me stress for those saying its one scrimmage, the talk all week has been of the same issues with presumed starter, pitching and passing.
Now we still have 3 weeks left and it's now wide open. I'm not counting anyone out including MJ

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck

I can't stress this enough, I highly highly doubt our guys were intentionally trying to hurt our own QB. Also the 2nd D didn't look good because some of them were 3rd team guys that played because some 1st and 2nd team guys did not play.

Do you recall the play? I am not calling out that the intention was to hurt the QB, but in an intersquad scrimmage, no matter how hard you are trying to impress the coaches, there are times when you let up on the QB. Just my view of the play.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Do you recall the play? I am not calling out that the intention was to hurt the QB, but in an intersquad scrimmage, no matter how hard you are trying to impress the coaches, there are times when you let up on the QB. Just my view of the play.
I didn't see it. I thought you were under the impression the defensive guy was out to hurt the QB, my bad if that wasn't the case.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know that this is true, but the adage is that it's less safe to let up than it is to go 100%.

Abother way of looking at it is that's why God invented the gold jersey.