Scrimmage update

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we all remember they are all Tech players and get behind who will be the starter. Just WIN.
It's a good problem to have. I firmly believe that Matthew Jordan is at least a "good" quarterback for us. If somebody beats him out, it means they're better than "good", because one thing I have absolute faith in is that Paul Johnson will play the best guy

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
There seems to be some disagreement as to whether TQ was playing against the 2s. Did he start playing with / against the 2s then go with the 1s when MJ got hurt? Or was it just kind of a merry go round scrimmage?

MarineJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My first post on this web-site by the way, but really looking forward to this year for Tech and hearing more about the development of this team during August.

To all, thanks for the great reports, especially you guys that have been down in the trenches (Ibb). For those of us that have no way of making it to scrimmages, these reports and views are a god-send! I'm currently in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia but will be back in time for opener, but info like the above that many of you provided is great. THWG.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My first post on this web-site by the way, but really looking forward to this year for Tech and hearing more about the development of this team during August.

To all, thanks for the great reports, especially you guys that have been down in the trenches (Ibb). For those of us that have no way of making it to scrimmages, these reports and views are a god-send! I'm currently in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia but will be back in time for opener, but info like the above that many of you provided is great. THWG.
Welcome aboard & thank you for your service!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just a personal note, people always reference Kaepernick when they talk about guys who eat up ground with long legs, but the guy who I'll always remember for that is Matt Jones out of Arkansas. He didn't look fast at all but he ran away from everybody.

Dude was 6'6 and ran a 4.3 at the NFL combine

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
What a great day to be on the flats. I got chance to catch up with old buddies and coaches. Nice turnout by the GT faithful. With all that said there is no QB controversy. This should be Taquan job now with Lucas as #2 nipping at the starter heels.

TQM was poised, confident, and had command of the offense imo. A former player, stated how TQ burst to edge to make the defense commit is the biggest difference btw MJ & TQM. TQM and LJ both rotated with 1s and had their moments. If today was the test to see what direction we are going in this season then get on the Marshall train. He threw the ball good (Under threw a fade that could've been a completion). Some nice intermediate throws.
Lucas is the QB guys like @ATL1 has been begging for. Big (legit 6'2) true dual-threat that appears to have been coached very-well to be passer. He also eats up a lot of ground with his legs. Looked like Kaep on that today to me. Was extremely impressed to see him get flushed out the pocket, keep his eyes down field and deliver a strike. He will be pushing whoever is #1 all year long. Jay Jones showed that Mike Vick type ability alluded to by coach I think. He alluded 2 tacklers and threw a bomb wth just a flick of the wrist. I'm sorry but one of these QBs won't be with us very long bc the competition is too good

Jerry Howard also impressed. Hard, tough runner who imo should and will backup Mills. At the least, he will be contributing on majority of the special teams.

The defense was flying around they had their moments. I usually focus on the defense, but I was so intrigued by the QB position that I couldn't take my eyes off. But for those who want to we were in a 4-3
Simmons, Branch, KCH, Freeman on the DL
Vic at WLB, Brant MLB, Lewis at SLB
Step & Lance at Cb
Law & Kagawa S
Super vanilla and appeared we were giving the O a look
I with you on the "One of The QB's might not be here long" comment. Unless we can find a way to get someone like JJ or TM on the field more I wouldn't be shocked to see someone go. In the back of my mind it's been LJ to me if he can't see the field. I can see him having a good career with a shotgun spread option type school. Hopefully they all stick it out and my paranoia is way off base.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I know everyone wants the backup QB. But the truth is, Matt Jordan is 3rd string at best. He's a great kid and a warrior but he just doesn't have the tools to lead us down the tunnel come Labor Day weekend. TaQuon has taken a strangle hold on the #1 spot and it's not because Matt played terribly. The kid is a JT clone and arguably more aggression as his two best runs today came between the tackles. Lucas J and Jay Jones are the QBs of the future but right now LJ is #2. His passing continues to be top notch and he is getting his footwork down. Big run today. This offense looks mid season form and there were no plays to our top two receivers, Lynch was out and andy Marshall was out. Looked like they shifted Will to right tackle and big shamire ran the guard.

Lot of redshirts on defense but saw aggression to the ball. 93 and 94 look good. Big Adams was out. Both safeties were held out.

But again I'm so pumped by the plays I saw from TM! He put on an absolute clinic. Three ropes out there not those loopy passes. Qua missed one of those rocket passes. Nice zip on the ball. He also has the reads. Made a nice pitch too. Just all around command. He's the most polished and I expect to see him on game days
I appreciate the info, but if you are not at practices it's hard to say who is what on the depth chart. Guys have bad days and good days so you wouldn't know what was happening those other days. Also CPJ just this week hinted that TM might move back to AB, I doubt the head man would say that if he actually had a strangle on the #1 spot.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't remember seeing a lost fumble or an interception. That was a good thing. There were a lot of penalties on the offense. I hope we get those out of the way before September. In my opinion of the QBs, Marshall looked poised and really good. Jordan didn't look too good. Stinks because I'm sure he worked really hard over the summer to get back. I heard PJ yelling at him, "Pitch the ball!" Lucas Johnson looked good. He throws a nice ball and did well on his reads. Jay Jones is really elusive but to me he still needs a lot of work. T. Oliver was ok but you can definitely tell he is a freshman. Unfortunately, I think we are going to lose one of these QBs to transfer.
My main concern for this season still remains. It is the defense. Can we get pressure on the QB? Can we get off the field on 3rd down?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I appreciate the info, but if you are not at practices it's hard to say who is what on the depth chart. Guys have bad days and good days so you wouldn't know what was happening those other days. Also CPJ just this week hinted that TM might move back to AB, I doubt the head man would say that if he actually had a strangle on the #1 spot.

Well scrimmages is the culmination of what is taught in practice. If you can't execute what you the coaches want you to with live bullets, then our observation is justified.

Key word is might: meaning he is too talented to keep on the bench, so if he can't take the QB job, then Aback it is .

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I with you on the "One of The QB's might not be here long" comment. Unless we can find a way to get someone like JJ or TM on the field more I wouldn't be shocked to see someone go. In the back of my mind it's been LJ to me if he can't see the field. I can see him having a good career with a shotgun spread option type school. Hopefully they all stick it out and my paranoia is way off base.

My hope is that if LJ beats out JJ for starting QB (next year) that we will put him at a-back as opposed to losing him. He is exceptionally difficult to get to the ground and I so much want to see what he can do in games.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't have to be at practice to make an educated guess. For example Jerry Howard will be the #2. Sometimes a days sample size is enough to see talent soar. TM played well in the spring. Matt Jordan looks the same as the VT game. I posted my thoughts as I know it's a burning topic and your starting QB should never look that bad 20 days before kickoff. Others seem to have agreed with my assessment. We don't have a whole helleva lot of time to figure out who the QB is at this point. We go to scout teams in like 3 days so this scrimmage was vital to separating QBs.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't know about everybody else but the more people post good points on the different QBs the more excited I get for the future. It's great to have depth.