Scrimmage update

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems like CPJ is more upbeat than he was earlier this week. Still seems like we have a lot of work to do but having capable options at QB is promising

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing worth considering: it's possible CPJ doesnt want to show all his cards to the media. I seem to remember the last time a team prepared for one of our QBs but ended up having to defend the other, it worked out pretty well for us. VT 2016 was definitely expecting JT (speed guy who even warmed up on the field before kickoff) but they got MJ (a bruiser) who ran the ball on them all night. I expect it works the other way too.

Preparing for our offense is one thing. Having two or three different flavors of our offense based on which QB is playing is a whole different animal. If Tennessee prepares for the midline MJ-Dedrick train and they get the Taquon-Qua-Lynch perimeter attack (or vice versa) they will be in for a loooooong night. Who knows, they might get the Lucas Johnson run-and-shoot. CPJ is no dummy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My take away from reports = we have real depth - qb dinged = replacements shine. Mills rests = true freshmen shines. Let's hope that the guys asked to go to scout team make us a better team. If they do we will be good for a while .
In past not so much.

Also I hope we have a set rotation in 3rd q to rest some guys and play others so we are ready for end of uga

Last edited:

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Oops, just watched CPJ press conference. He explicitly stated that the starter at QB won't be announced till game time vs Tennessee. Tough for us message board people in the meantime but good strategy for our team, it may give us an edge. And I guess it gives us something to talk about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the talk about one of the QBs tranferring if they don't win is speculation. It's more of how bad do they want to play QB versus another position. Taquan would not play QB at another school not named Army/Navy. I think he would accept moving to another position, and he has. Jay Jones...I don't think he was recruited to another P5 school at QB, though he was recruited as an athlete to various schools. I think he would make a fantastic WR with his speed and explosion should QB not work out for him. AB is also another position he could play. Lucas Johnson, if he doesn't win, would be the only candidate in my mind that would think about leaving GT to play QB at another school. He backed out of his commit to San Diego to play for us. If QB doesn't work out for LJ, and he's willing to move positions, he could play WR.

If you can't play QB somewhere else, and you'd have to switch positions at another school, why would they not just stay at GT for the degree and play football?

It's a good problem to have for us at QB.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well scrimmages is the culmination of what is taught in practice. If you can't execute what you the coaches want you to with live bullets, then our observation is justified.

Key word is might: meaning he is too talented to keep on the bench, so if he can't take the QB job, then Aback it is .
I get that, but you should know as much as anybody on here that one scrimmage doesn't tell the whole story. If we got to see all the practices/scrimmages, we might say LJ, MJ, TM, and JJ would be the starter after any given practice or scrimmage (they have small scrimmages throughout the fall) because some guys have good days and some have bad days. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone of them has looked better than the others at some point, so one day isn't going to be the deciding factor in who the starter is. As far as my comment about TM and A back I wasn't saying he will make the move but saying if he had the #1 spot locked down at QB like the other poster said, I doubt CPJ would have made the comment he made. But like others have said CPJ will field the best guy.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't have to be at practice to make an educated guess. For example Jerry Howard will be the #2. Sometimes a days sample size is enough to see talent soar. TM played well in the spring. Matt Jordan looks the same as the VT game. I posted my thoughts as I know it's a burning topic and your starting QB should never look that bad 20 days before kickoff. Others seem to have agreed with my assessment. We don't have a whole helleva lot of time to figure out who the QB is at this point. We go to scout teams in like 3 days so this scrimmage was vital to separating QBs.
I'm not saying you are wrong, TM might end up being the #1 guy but I've also been around enough football to know 1 day isn't good enough to determine the starter. For all we know TM hasn't looked good all fall and just had the best game of his life (not saying this is the case). And yes it's vital to separate the QB's but not to determine the starter.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I assumed when CPJ talked about moving Marshall to AB, it meant MJ was ready and the two freshmen would be able to back him up. If today's scrimmage is indicative of what has been happening in practice, it maybe means at least one of the freshmen is ready to start with MJ backing him up. Only thing for sure is that every DC in the conference (and probably most everybody on this board) wishes CPJ would make up his damn mind and let us know what is going on. I am just about able to convince myself that CPJ already knows he has UT beaten with any of them.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel good about beating UT with the wealth of offensive riches we have, whomever wins the QB job. All of these guys are capable enough to win as long as can keep a healthy OL to block for them. I don't think QB will be decided until the last minute, it's going to be that hard to make this decision. Anyone could see that today, we have some serious weapons at quarterback. It's really hard to believe until you see them all play.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel good about beating UT with the wealth of offensive riches we have, whomever wins the QB job. All of these guys are capable enough to win as long as can keep a healthy OL to block for them. I don't think QB will be decided until the last minute, it's going to be that hard to make this decision. Anyone could see that today, we have some serious weapons at quarterback. It's really hard to believe until you see them all play.

I wouldn't feel good about beating UT even if we had JT. Not to say I feel bad about our chances--it's a new season and while UT may have been overhyped in the past, they are still a respectable team with talent.

Unless you actually think we are going to get an UPGRADE over JT (assuming you were there today), in which case I'd begin to get very excited about this season.

mcg

Georgia Tech Fan
Remember feeling good about TM during a set-up and throw he made during the spring game