Scrimmage update

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Anybody notice which other QB besides MJ ran with the 1st team offense?

I think they all got snaps. I know tm and lj ran with 1s.

After mj went out with his shoulder, he returned for one series and was out for good. So our "backups" got lots of work with the 1s.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Short note as I have to get on the road. TM had a great day, MJ looked hesitant, tough but hesitant. The 3 baby QBs are presently PJ and Candeto a wonderful problem for the next 4-5 years! O have a number of sustained drives, D had a number pf pressures and stops, tackling looked secure! D line is going to surprise some folks.

Saw Harvin warming up, 40-45 consistently, great hang time, can see he has a lot in reserve if he needs to boom one!

Will post more later :D

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Thanks to all that took the time to write up your thoughts. I am really pleased with the problems we have (lots of talented QBs), and grateful for the problems we don't have.

It's really funny GT with it's low ranking (by the "experts") recruiting classes have 4 solid options at QB. Yet some of those SEC schools have a 3 5* guys that can't throw a slant.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks to all that took the time to write up your thoughts. I am really pleased with the problems we have (lots of talented QBs), and grateful for the problems we don't have.

It's really funny GT with it's low ranking (by the "experts") recruiting classes has 4 solid options at QB. Yet some of those SEC schools have a 3 5* guys that can't throw a slant.

This is the genius of Paul. He knows how to recruit to his system which is why rankings don't matter

Taquan looked good, but most of his snaps were against the 2nd team defense. I think Lucas Johnson is our starter and 2nd is between Taquan and Jay. Jordan is afraid to pitch the ball and teams will catch on to that quickly.

ABs were a non factor for the most part because there is no qb that is very comfortable pitching the ball.

Jerry Howard and QW both looked good. I wouldn't be surprised to see Howard as the back up to Mills.
Jordan is rusty. He'll come around.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What a great day to be on the flats. I got chance to catch up with old buddies and coaches. Nice turnout by the GT faithful. With all that said there is no QB controversy. This should be Taquan job now with Lucas as #2 nipping at the starter heels.

TQM was poised, confident, and had command of the offense imo. A former player, stated how TQ burst to edge to make the defense commit is the biggest difference btw MJ & TQM. TQM and LJ both rotated with 1s and had their moments. If today was the test to see what direction we are going in this season then get on the Marshall train. He threw the ball good (Under threw a fade that could've been a completion). Some nice intermediate throws.
Lucas is the QB guys like @ATL1 has been begging for. Big (legit 6'2) true dual-threat that appears to have been coached very-well to be passer. He also eats up a lot of ground with his legs. Looked like Kaep on that today to me. Was extremely impressed to see him get flushed out the pocket, keep his eyes down field and deliver a strike. He will be pushing whoever is #1 all year long. Jay Jones showed that Mike Vick type ability alluded to by coach I think. He alluded 2 tacklers and threw a bomb wth just a flick of the wrist. I'm sorry but one of these QBs won't be with us very long bc the competition is too good

Jerry Howard also impressed. Hard, tough runner who imo should and will backup Mills. At the least, he will be contributing on majority of the special teams.

The defense was flying around they had their moments. I usually focus on the defense, but I was so intrigued by the QB position that I couldn't take my eyes off. But for those who want to we were in a 4-3
Simmons, Branch, KCH, Freeman on the DL
Vic at WLB, Brant MLB, Lewis at SLB
Step & Lance at Cb
Law & Kagawa S
Super vanilla and appeared we were giving the O a look

Last edited: