Scrimmage update

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think it's possible we'll have an upgrade over JT this year. Not in the passing game, but this may be offset by the versatility of whoever the guy is.

I would be most excited for TQ to have earned the job. Has the most potential to offer next year in combining talent, skill, experience, and leadership.

JJ does give you that energy, but I find it hard to believe CPJ will go with him out the gate. CPJ said he would be responsible for a ton of huge plays. Just wasn't sure for which team. The ball security today surprised him, but I can't imagine anything he does will make a difference.

Now, I do see him earning some playing time with the ones, alternating some series, and potentially taking over as things unfold.

Who's to say, though, it won't be LJ in that role instead?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If anyone didn't listen to CPJ, he specifically said we can't just take today we have to look at all the practices (my own words) the young DLine was being talked about, but imo this is true for all positions that are battles and for all the freshmen.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm just going to throw it out there, he says "he's a big play waiting to happen for somebody", that means for the opposition as well.
And then said he didn't turn it over. And as long as we're in over cooked analysis / hot-take town...
CPJ said LJ has to "get a lot more confident...a lot more mature."
Do we think that will happen by next week?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Short note as I have to get on the road. TM had a great day, MJ looked hesitant, tough but hesitant. The 3 baby QBs are presently PJ and Candeto a wonderful problem for the next 4-5 years! O have a number of sustained drives, D had a number pf pressures and stops, tackling looked secure! D line is going to surprise some folks.

Saw Harvin warming up, 40-45 consistently, great hang time, can see he has a lot in reserve if he needs to boom one!

Will post more later :D

Harvin is a BIG young man. IF he ever has to make an open field tackle on someone returning a punt, the returner we get punished!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Great write up.

I get what you're saying about Taquan. I don't think he's as fast in the open field as JeT, but I do think he possesses the same short space quickness and explosion as JeT. Where JeT is more apt to try and juke with stutter steps and change of direction, I think Taquan is more apt to get N/S after maybe one cut. He's more decisive in where he wants to go, where JeT tried to improvise more, and it worked to a certain extent for him. Taquan is also a little bigger than JeT, and I think CPJ would feel comfortable running more Midlines and QB follows with Taquan than JeT.

I alluded to the fact that all 4 QBs brings something different to the table, and it's going to be a fascinating competition to see play out. Although it's going to be disappointing for 3 of the 4 guys not to be the starter come UT, it's a battle that may play out throughout the season. The guy who starts the season as QB1 may not end the season at QB1. In the end, I think the winner will be GT football, so just enjoy the fun of watching 4 really good QB talents compete.

Oliver looked the part of a freshman at times but he also flashed some signs of being a really good runner who can throw. A RS year will do wonders for him. He is athletically in the class with the other QBs. At one point Oliver moved the O the length of the field but failed to score as a DT (Dawson?) made a terrific play at the 3 yard line.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you for the update and your 2 cents from everyone who was there. From what CPJ said and the reports everyone gave my reading of the tea leaves are that all 4 are still in contention for the top spot. Is that a reasonable conclusion? I was not there and everything I know about it was from CPJ presser and what was posted here and was just wondering.