Scholarship Slots remaining

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I doubt all of injured come back. It usually takes two years to make it all the way back from a knee injury and why put in that much work for one year, 50/50 at best chance of being successful, chance of further injury and no prospect of pro career. I know they love Collins and the team, but sometimes the rational decision is to move on with your life.

GT_EE78

Banned
and with 0 DT's thus far at such a glaring position of need.
this overage may grow
How many DT's will he sign?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Don't the coaches choose/evaluate who to offer to begin with ? So, the bottom 10-15% at any given time are failures on the coaches part ? Plus, what happened to the concept of scout team players "helping the program" ? Just because God Saban does it, doesn't mean Tech will endorse it.

1) In this case the current coaches aren't the ones who choose them so the point is moot. In any students on academic scholarship have to maintain certain grades. They don't say their failure to develop is the fault of the teacher, no matter how bad his teaching is, and still give them a scholarship anyways.

2) In general scholarships of all sorts have continuous requirements. They aren't once you get them they automatically roll over so even if they were once evaluated as deserving a scholarship, that doesn't/shouldn't mean they are immune from continued evaluation.

3) Scout team players help the program. So do walk ons.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I won't speculate who will leave, but it's not unheard of for players to finish their degrees in 3 years (Parker Braun and Trey Klock both did it). I could see some guys who have been here 3-4 seasons finishing up school and deciding to either transfer or go work for a NASCAR team somewhere. A lot of the guys in @bos list fit that description.

slugboy

Staff member
and with 0 DT's thus far at such a glaring position of need.
this overage may grow
How many DT's will he sign?

OK, this is completely baseless speculation, but if they find O Linemen they like, I wouldn’t be shocked to see someone moved from offensive line to DT, like they were doing with Lee.

I’m still hoping for a couple of impressive defensive tackles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The medical route has been used by the factories for kids that are not being kept on FB scholarships but want to remain at that school to graduate. Most of these kids are playing with injuries of some sort so pretty easy to justify with a sympathetic doctor. Bama has been accused of this for years. Some of these kids may want to become coaches and this allows them to stay around the team. AJ Gray comes to mind but he will be successful whatever he chooses. Most of our players come to GT for the degree and prestige of the school. If they are deep into their degree program they probably want to finish and that is the decision they have to make.

Deleted member 2897

The medical route has been used by the factories for kids that are not being kept on FB scholarships but want to remain at that school to graduate. Most of these kids are playing with injuries of some sort so pretty easy to justify with a sympathetic doctor. Bama has been accused of this for years. Some of these kids may want to become coaches and this allows them to stay around the team. AJ Gray comes to mind but he will be successful whatever he chooses. Most of our players come to GT for the degree and prestige of the school. If they are deep into their degree program they probably want to finish and that is the decision they have to make.

You get 85 scholarships for active players. Medical disqualifications don’t count, but they can still be tracked. I read an article several years ago that schools like Alabama and Clemson had 110-120+ total scholarships outstanding. I don’t remember the exact numbers because it has been a long time, and I can’t find that article. But the numbers were pretty astonishing for several schools.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Doubt wells is a transfer candidate. We was a walkon anyway. More than likely just not renew his ship. Don’t disagree on others except Howard, he seems to have a slot here.

DB room is crowded with more talent in next year; could see action there too.
Agreed, we have WAY too many DB’s, possibly any A-back types still on the team may move on as well

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
The business of college football is changing fast and forever. As much as we like the notion of honoring 4-year commitments, I wouldn’t expect anything to be sacrosanct going forward.
Developmental program, being a great teammate, effort based, etc etc etc. this is all we have heard. How do these words fit into this discussion? (1) yes, I understand that there may be some guys that are NOT giving the effort (2) yes I understand that there will be guys who want to go play somewhere else to see the field, but (3) how does the language above apply to guys that aren’t in category 1 & 2 and are not seeing the field? That is what everyone (I think) wants to reconcile. Hopefully it will all be category 1 & 2 and things will work themselves out, but life isn’t usually that neat.