Scholarship Slots remaining

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of you will hate to see this post and if it violates policy, please take it down. There will definitely be some attrition next off-season. 11 seniors on the roster, but 3 will come back. 5 open spots now, and with 8 seniors leaving that mean only 13 available.

21 commitments for the class of 2020 and at least 2/3 more expected. This does not include incoming transfers. It's almost a guarantees at least 10 guys will move on from the program.

Here's my attempt at top 10 guys most likely to transfer:

10: Christian Malloy - Surpassed by J. Griffin and D. Smith. 5th RB on the roster now at a position with no seniors and will battle Gibbs, Ellison, Amerson, next year.

9: King/Wells- No place for two kickers.

8: Charlie Clark- 6 incoming OL next year. In 3 years, has no PT.

7: Jerry Howard Jr.- Oldest RB on roster. Can take redshirt year. PT decreased from FR year.

6: Peje' Harris- Buried in the depth chart. All WRs coming back next year, including Ezzard. 2 of his closest friends Mcheehan and Jackson transferred.

5: Jair Hawkins-Anderson - Can be a grad transfer somewhere. No true position and little PT so far.

4: Luke Johns- Will have to battle too many long hybrid DE/LB.

3: Jaytlin Askew- Crowded DB position is set to even be more saturated with talent next year.

2: Stephen Dolphus- Not ATL and nowhere to be seen.

1: Lucas Johnson- If he can't win starting job, has no reason to stay. Could get immediate waiver if he transfers close to home in California.

Doubt wells is a transfer candidate. We was a walkon anyway. More than likely just not renew his ship. Don’t disagree on others except Howard, he seems to have a slot here.

DB room is crowded with more talent in next year; could see action there too.

Deleted member 2897

Some of you will hate to see this post and if it violates policy, please take it down. There will definitely be some attrition next off-season. 11 seniors on the roster, but 3 will come back. 5 open spots now, and with 8 seniors leaving that mean only 13 available.

21 commitments for the class of 2020 and at least 2/3 more expected. This does not include incoming transfers. It's almost a guarantees at least 10 guys will move on from the program.

10: Christian Malloy - Surpassed by J. Griffin and D. Smith. 5th RB on the roster now at a position with no seniors and will battle Gibbs, Ellison, Amerson, next year.

7: Jerry Howard Jr.- Oldest RB on roster. Can take redshirt year. PT decreased from FR year.

6: Peje' Harris- Buried in the depth chart. All WRs coming back next year, including Ezzard. 2 of his closest friends Mcheehan and Jackson transferred.

5: Jair Hawkins-Anderson - Can be a grad transfer somewhere. No true position and little PT so far.

3: Jaytlin Askew- Crowded DB position is set to even be more saturated with talent next year.

1: Lucas Johnson- If he can't win starting job, has no reason to stay. Could get immediate waiver if he transfers close to home in California.

We were able to successfully call about 80% of this year’s attrition the same way. IIWII.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I have no problem something has to happen. I hate to see it but facts are only 50% or less of any signing class stay all 4 years. But a question I thought Dolphus was hurt.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

Is Jump a viable project at OT? He hasn’t played

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I liked your post because u actually provided specific info and spevcific reasons AND NOT JUST a one sentence opinion.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Doubt wells is a transfer candidate. We was a walkon anyway. More than likely just not renew his ship. Don’t disagree on others except Howard, he seems to have a slot here.

DB room is crowded with more talent in next year; could see action there too.

Agree on Wells
Is Jump a viable project at OT? He hasn’t played

Jump was the 11th guy on my list actually. Being that he's just a RS Freshman with a lot of projectability in his frame made me leave him out. I think he's got the size; Key just has to work on his technique.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Expect more transfers.....

I could see some SA say (like Tobias Oliver) who the new coaches have no clue how to use or gameplan... graduating and enter the transfer Portal... Tobias could go play two years at another FBS program.... Much like Parker Braun... I hear he has options...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
So we should give students scholarships because we gave them scholarships? lol.
Didn't we recently have a commit who was injured on an ATV and still honored his scholarship? We frequently have guys who declare they're unable to play and yet remain on scholarship.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
That's fair, a ways to go. I guess I might pivot the question to this: has geoff collins traditionally processed anyone or can I trust that we're not offering more than we have?

Just a scummy practice that I know some school in the east does, so I'd like to see us not follow suit.

The business of college football is changing fast and forever. As much as we like the notion of honoring 4-year commitments, I wouldn’t expect anything to be sacrosanct going forward.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Aren’t you guys reading the other thread? None of this is going to matter when we can just have someone give a recruit a bunch of cash for “his likeness.” At that point he can just pay for his own school.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Everyone, no one will ever settle this debate because there are (at least) two different definitions being used for the word processing from what I can tell...

Def'n 1: When a coach tells a player that he probably never going to see the field and might consider looking elsewhere if he wants to play. BUT... The coach will continue to honor the scholarship if the player wishes to stay,

Def'n 2: A coach tells a non-productive player that he will no longer have a scholarship the next year.

Until everyone agrees on a definition, this will continue to be a circular argument...

I think everyone knows Defn 2 is what is meant, but some use Defn 1 as cover.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
According to 247 we have the following breakdown.

QB - 4 (0 seniors)
RB - 9 (2 seniors)
WR - 12 (1 senior)
TE - 4 (2 seniors)
OL - 12 (3 seniors)
DL - 15 (1 senior)
LB - 7 (0 Seniors)
DBs - 16 (1 senior)
Kickers - 2 (0 seniors)
Punter -1 (0 seniors)

Probably not 100% accurate but it puts us at 82 with 10 seniors. If all 3 redshirt and return we'd have 75. We currently have 21 committed.

There is no way we were going to go through a huge transition and have a recruiting class of 10 so yeah, read into what you want.

There is nothing scummy about it. Scholarships are one year deals. If you aren't helping the program, you shouldn't be getting a scholarship. It's not getting kicked out of school.
Don't the coaches choose/evaluate who to offer to begin with ? So, the bottom 10-15% at any given time are failures on the coaches part ? Plus, what happened to the concept of scout team players "helping the program" ? Just because God Saban does it, doesn't mean Tech will endorse it.