Scheduling

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
OK, Wisconsin lost 1 game to the #5 ranked team. The team they lost to only had 2 losses. The game was close and Wisconsin had a chance to win at the end. The game they lost was also the Big 10 Conference Championship game. They were in 1st place in their half of their conference.

Let’s see. Bammer came in 2nd in their half of their conference to a team that lost 3 games. The team they lost to is ranked #7 as opposed to Wisconsin’s loss to the #5 team. Bammer never had a chance to win that game because they got whipped unlike Wisconsin that was in the game at the end. Bammer does not play in their conference championship game because they didn’t win enough games, unlike Wisconsin that played a 13th game.

I can partially see the arguments against OSU, but under what queer logic could the committee select Bammer over Wisconsin? Oh let me think- they just thought Bammer looks like a better team. Really?
But wait, Wisky played the 50th hardest schedule in the country. Bammers was..... uh...... um.... never mind... (sigh)... (56th).

Lol.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Actually, the formula was pioneered by Johnny Vaught at Ole Miss. Their schedule in his time was once aptly described as "Nine pushovers and Bama." And, sure enough, it was. Dodd wanted to play Ole Miss in the worst way, but Vaught would never agree to that.

And, yes, the only thing that counts or that people remember is wins. It doesn't matter who they are against a couple of years up the road.

Don’t doubt that is what people said about Vaught back then, but the true complete statement would read “Dodd wanted to play Ole Miss in the worst way....... as long as he could play them in Atlanta.” Dodd was afraid to go play at Ole Miss as evidenced by his own words in pre bowl festivities leading up to the 71 Peach Bowl. There were several functions where both Dodd and Vaught were honored. The question was asked of Dodd, “why wouldn’t you go play at Ole Miss if they were willing to play here?” He answered, “because they would beat the hell out of us,”. That always struck me as odd considering how he handled Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl.

Dodd had a bad problem of thinking everyone he scheduled should play here. Look at the 1952 schedule. And he, for almost every time we played them, always had Auburn and Clemson here. There are those who say it was because we had the biggest stadium in the South and could pay them more money. If so, then a lot of them could say that about us now perhaps.

But Dodd, God Bless Him, ducked Vaught.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
How 'bout this caveat: Nobody gets in w/o winning your division???

or how 'bout this one: Nobody gets in w/o a SoS below 30??? (That would eliminate both bama-56, the mutts-37. OK would barely slip in at 29 as would tOSU at 28. The only one of the 5 with a decent SoS is Clemson at 8.)

Where do these numbers come from?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

The PAC-12 likes to complain about 9 conference games and how it is unfair that others only play 8. The ACC and SEC require one OOC game to be against a P5 team. That means that PAC-12, ACC, and SEC teams all have the same requirement numbers for P5 opponents. PAC-12 teams do also schedule FCS teams. Some do not, but it isn't because of any conference requirement. GT-UGA, UF-FSU, Clemson-USCe, Lou-Ky, Those all seem just as strong as playing another conference game to me.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The PAC-12 likes to complain about 9 conference games and how it is unfair that others only play 8. The ACC and SEC require one OOC game to be against a P5 team. That means that PAC-12, ACC, and SEC teams all have the same requirement numbers for P5 opponents. PAC-12 teams do also schedule FCS teams. Some do not, but it isn't because of any conference requirement. GT-UGA, UF-FSU, Clemson-USCe, Lou-Ky, Those all seem just as strong as playing another conference game to me.
He's saying you shouldn't be allowed FCS in November when other teams are playing real games.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Do what the NFL does and schedule the out of division games and conference games based on previous year’s record. Best team gets the hardest schedule, weakest team gets the easiest. Thanks it out of the school’s hands.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I believe the B10 used to ban playing FCS schools, but apparently started to walk it back.
They walked it back because they were the only ones doing it and it was making scheduling difficult for teams with only 4 conference home games. Now teams with 4 conference home games have the option to add an FCS game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
One other thing in regards to Alabama, is someone needs to stop the yearly neutral site game that they are taking advantage of. It is almost always just another home game for them because of how close the games are to Alabama and their fans willingness to travel. Next year they play Louisville in Orlando. Gee, I wonder which fan base will be better represented. They have Duke in Atlanta the year after that. They play that one "neutral site" game and three cupcakes every year. Its a pretty large advantage over everyone else that they aren't really called out on.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I’m ok with the Neutral Site thing. The bye week and FCS game prior to their 2 toughest games every single year is the ridiculous thing.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ya he's saying everyone should have the same schedule qualifications. I agree with him all conferences should require the same number of games and OOC should have the same conditions.

I have a difficult time understanding how a 9 game Pac-12 schedule is different or more difficult than GT playing 8 ACC games plus the mutts, or USCe playing 8 SEC games plus Clemson. Most of the time when I hear Pac-12 people complain about 9 games it is along the lines of: Pac-12 teams play 9 conference games while ACC and SEC teams only play 8 and then a lot of patsies. That argument totally ignores GT-mutts, FSU-UF, USCe-Clemson which happen every year. It also ignores games like Auburn-Clemson, NC State-USCe, and Alabama-FSU.

What should actually happen is that all of the conference champs(as decided by the conference instead of some committee) should be in the playoffs. Five teams with three byes, 8 teams with maybe a G5 and some at-larges, whatever. There should not be any committee or pundits deciding who qualifies. If you don't like the way your conference rules work, then you can change your conference rules.

Jmonty71

Banned
Personally, I fail to see why schools like UGA, Bama and such even play FCS schools. It nothing more than a W and way to pad stats. It contributes nothing to the sport. Even us. I rather see us play a MAC school, than some crappy FCS school. Which we see one, next year.. LOL But, there are plenty of lower FBS teams out there. Why waste the money to pay a FCS school? Just seems like a waste. I mean... do we (as fans) really like seeing us play Furman or Southern Methodist school for girls and craps like that?