Scheduling

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Who do you feel should be in ahead of them?

Do you feel good about CU, OU, & UGA getting in? It's the #4 that bugs you?
Yep. I'll copy my post from the other thread. My problem is the committee sets forth these guidelines they are supposed to follow when comparing similar teams and then throw it out the window.

It's ridiculous. The committee is supposed to value these things when looking at comparable resumes:
1. Championships won - OSU Check
2. Strength of schedule - OSU Check
3. Head-to-head competition (if it occurred) - N/A
4. Outcomes against common opponents - N/A

This committee is a ****ing joke. Just make up their standards as they go. One team took care of business this weekend. One team sat at home and whined "We're Bama! We have to be better than them!" 2 years in a row of being an absolute joke.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Tell me who they beat again?
Didn't I say idc about their strength of schedule? It's Bama, when's the last time they haven't been a top 4 team? Are you saying Ohio state should be in over them? if so I didn't see Bama getting rocked by auburn like Ohio state did with Oklahoma I also saw bama take care of business against the teams they should have unlike Ohio state against Iowa (55 to 24)

Can someone please tell me who is better than Bama that's not in the playoffs? And give me a reason of why that goes beyond strength of schedule.

jeffgt14

Didn't I say idc about their strength of schedule? It's Bama, when's the last time they haven't been a top 4 team? Are you saying Ohio state should be in over them? if so I didn't see Bama getting rocked by auburn like Ohio state did with Oklahoma I also saw bama take care of business against the teams they should have unlike Ohio state against Iowa (55 to 24)

Can someone please tell me who is better than Bama that's not in the playoffs? And give me a reason of why that goes beyond strength of schedule.
So basically Bama deserves it because they're Bama. Committee agrees with you.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So Bama is a better team than Auburn, a team that beat them by double digits just a week ago?
What's that matter? UGA got rocked by Auburn and then turned around and rocked Auburn themselves. It's called football, it's always and up and down game.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep. I'll copy my post from the other thread. My problem is the committee sets forth these guidelines they are supposed to follow when comparing similar teams and then throw it out the window.
I'm assuming (and you probably won't agree OR like it), the committee never got to this criteria to compare Alabama & OSU "on the margins" as the selection criteria states. They consider Alabama better based on their season/resume. One loss (Auburn... relatively close) on road. While OSU had 2 losses & one very bad one (Iowa).

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So head to head results should be ignored?
No, my point is it's part of the game. Just because a team beats another doesn't make them better over the full season. Do you really think UT was better than GT? Who do you think should be in over Bama?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Actually, the formula was pioneered by Johnny Vaught at Ole Miss. Their schedule in his time was once aptly described as "Nine pushovers and Bama." And, sure enough, it was. Dodd wanted to play Ole Miss in the worst way, but Vaught would never agree to that.

And, yes, the only thing that counts or that people remember is wins. It doesn't matter who they are against a couple of years up the road.

Vince Dooley too. Even before division play, he never scheduled Bama or LSU--UT only occasionally. They played UK, Vandy and Ole Miss, who wasn't very good, every year. UF was nothing special either. Auburn was the only team they played every year that was good most of the time.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So basically Bama deserves it because they're Bama. Committee agrees with you.
Not at all, I didn't even insinuate that. I asked when's the last time they weren't a top 4 team? I'll ask the question again that was completely ignored by you though, who is better than Bama that's not in the playoffs and should be in over them? And why?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What part did they throw out the window? Who should be in over Bama and why?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No, my point is it's part of the game. Just because a team beats another doesn't make them better over the full season. Do you really think UT was better than GT? Who do you think should be in over Bama?
I don’t think Auburn should be in over Bama but if we are going with the nonsense excuse of picking the 4 best teams then I’m not sure how you can conclusively say that Bama is a better team than Auburn when Auburn beat them with relative ease just a week ago.

Or maybe the better argument should have been that USC should be the number 4 team. They won the Pac 12, lost to ND at ND. Why aren't they in the conversation if Ohio St. is?

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Auburn should be in over Bama but if we are going with the nonsense excuse of picking the 4 best teams then I’m not sure how you can conclusively say that Bama is a better team than Auburn when Auburn beat them with relative ease just a week ago.
Auburn now has 3 losses and bama 1

jeffgt14

Not at all, I didn't even insinuate that. I asked when's the last time they weren't a top 4 team? I'll ask the question again that was completely ignored by you though, who is better than Bama that's not in the playoffs and should be in over them? And why?
You are making the ASSUMPTION that Alabama would beat OSU on a neutral field.