Russell Contract?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you're right; perhaps we should be focusing on the word "gear" in the photo and the uniforms aren't included...

On this one i know i am right. I was around the aa alot when this deal was signed. We also signed deals for shoes with nike in basketball etc

Addidas and mizuno are better baseball brands.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
On this one i know i am right. I was around the aa alot when this deal was signed. We also signed deals for shoes with nike in basketball etc

Yeah, we've worn Nike basketball shoes for years. If RA did make shoes ... and we wore them ... we'd never sign any basketball recruits. None. We'd field a walk-on team and I'm under-exaggerating.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
GT Baseball changes gear providers pretty regularly I think. I wouldn't put the secondary contracts as omens since GT has secondary contracts one way or another with a lot of companies

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Gents... I am clueless about this topic. I'm not a "brand" dude... I personally buy cheap clothing. Just not a priority to me to have any particular brand. Not sure why I feel I need to explain that... but I do have a some real questions for you guys who obviously have strong feelings about this.

What I care about is what is BEST for health of the Ga Tech athletics. Is this whole debate a bunch of folks hoping/demanding that we have a particular contract with Nike/UA/Adidas/Russell simply because you want the jersey/shirt that you buy to have your favorite logo on it? ....or is your position based on an understanding of the market and the process that one brand will benefit our "programs" the most?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gents... I am clueless about this topic. I'm not a "brand" dude... I personally buy cheap clothing. Just not a priority to me to have any particular brand. Not sure why I feel I need to explain that... but I do have a some real questions for you guys who obviously have strong feelings about this.

What I care about is what is BEST for health of the Ga Tech athletics. Is this whole debate a bunch of folks hoping/demanding that we have a particular contract with Nike/UA/Adidas/Russell simply because you want the jersey/shirt that you buy to have your favorite logo on it? ....or is your position based on an understanding of the market and the process that one brand will benefit our "programs" the most?

Heh, I don't think any (many) of us are overly-enamored with the whole 'branding' thing when it comes to what we wear.

A better apparel deal means better 'branding' which IMHO means better recruiting which aids winning.

These kids eat the uniform crap up. Always gotta remember it's more for them than for us. If that makes sense.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
i think it's gonna be adidas GT baseball is all adidas besides the jerseys now

I think your on to something, if we truly have a deal already worked out with another company then i think it would stand to reason that said company would want their brand on ALL of GT's atheletic gear going forward.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Unpopular opinion: I don't mind our Russell jerseys and I like having an "underdog" sponsor

I could get behind this sentiment if nearly all of our jerseys for every sport didn't look like they were designed by a mediocre 1st or 2nd year graphic design student. I mean most of them are just bad. The baseball jerseys in particular are god awful.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Are yeezy's a reference to a rapper or an athlete? I'm super not into celeb news or trends so pretty clueless here and not motivated to google it. But if not athlete related, which I don't like either (jumpman) then I'm just naturally opposed to that concept. Quality products shouldn't need stupid personal endorsements but I'm a damn old fogey now I guess. Probably a good thing I'm not the decision maker:cigar:
Kanye West

jzgt22

Jolly Good Fellow

Question from the uninformed for the uninformed: if we have a secondary contract for baseball gear with Adidas, would that pose a challenge to signing a uniform deal with Nike? Or would they be two separate entities? It would seem odd to have the baseball team wearing Nike uniforms with Adidas everything else.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
My guess would be Nike.
UA would be ok.
I also think, like someone stated, its an image thing for the recruits.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Question from the uninformed for the uninformed: if we have a secondary contract for baseball gear with Adidas, would that pose a challenge to signing a uniform deal with Nike? Or would they be two separate entities? It would seem odd to have the baseball team wearing Nike uniforms with Adidas everything else.

I think it would be a challenge, but only with respect to baseball. If GT were to go to Nike as the baseball uniform supplier, I believe Nike would require them to use Nike gear thus they'd have to buyout the adidas contract.

If GT were to go to Nike as the football uniform supplier, the baseball has no bearing as the deals are typically sport-specific.

Sorry to butt in.

jzgt22

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it would be a challenge, but only with respect to baseball. If GT were to go to Nike as the baseball uniform supplier, I believe Nike would require them to use Nike gear thus they'd have to buyout the adidas contract.

If GT were to go to Nike as the football uniform supplier, the baseball has no bearing as the deals are typically sport-specific.

Sorry to butt in.

Thanks for the insight!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
No. russell is a jersey only contract. Shoes and accessories not made by russell; bats, gloves, cleats gt can sign a second contract with

Fyi i hope we go with a blue blood brand. Nike. Or UA.
I do as well but as far as blue blood brand adidas is about as blue as you can get.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Nike is getting out of the equipment business. If tech signs an apparel and shoe deal with nike It will cover all sports. It may or may not cover other accessories. Most likely a company like nike, addidas will want both contracts shoes and unis.

If tech signs one with UA. It may just cover unis and shoes could be dependent to a degree on their offering. But ua has a great appeal now.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I do as well but as far as blue blood brand adidas is about as blue as you can get.

Addidas is about as new to sports unis as anyone iirc. The old days it was russell. Then reebok/nike. Addidas got in about the same time as UA i think. Now puma was trying to get in too for a while

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Nike is getting out of the equipment business. If tech signs an apparel and shoe deal with nike It will cover all sports. It may or may not cover other accessories. Most likely a company like nike, addidas will want both contracts shoes and unis.

If tech signs one with UA. It may just cover unis and shoes could be dependent to a degree on their offering. But ua has a great appeal now.

Doesn't Nike already have some sort of deal now with football?
They wear Nike cleats and other stuff.