Russell Contract?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Several graduating athletes have said that the Russell uniforms were the worst part of their GT experience. You can say "well, I don't want kids who worry too much about uniforms," but that's an easy way to make up some recruiting ground with kids we want here. If it matters to them, and it doesn't drastically change on-field strategy or off-field performance, we should be bending over backwards to accommodate. This isn't some unrealistic pipe dream like "Adding shotgun" or "Schedule 'Bama." This is an easy fix and it's a statement on the laziness of GTAA that it hasn't been fixed already...
Was their bad experience due to style or quality or something else?

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, probably the fact that guys they went to high school and camped with went to school where they got showered with the latest in fashionable gear while they were wearing Russell. It's not something that makes a lot of sense to people who aren't athletes, but they love it.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
When I go to a UT game (or Alabama, Penn State, etc), I never even think about "what uniform will we wear today?" It's just understood. Many of these programs have a classic simplicity that works exceedingly well. (It's a true-ism that fewer colors is more timeless than more.)

Tech, during my 35 years ... has been ALL OVER THE MAP. Black jerseys, blue jerseys, white jerseys, gold jerseys ... jerseys where you can read the numbers and jerseys where you can't. White helmets, gold helmets, helmets with honeycomb. How can Tech possibly translate any of this mess into an effective merchandising program? You can't. That's why we a) get crud and b) it doesn't sell.

Not sure I agree with this. I enjoy switching things up and think the different designs can be fun. I even enjoy the crazy Oregon and Maryland stuff as one-off type of game options. The biggest problems for Tech sales are that: (1) we are a small school, (2) we have a minuscule sidewalk fan base, (3) because of that there are less options and (4) Russell is uncool and poor quality.

Just look at a blue-blood program like Kentucky basketball, which I assure you has no problems selling their gear. They have had some really crazy stuff over the years.

ky-05-throwback-johnsommers-vert-620x936-600x906.jpg

2013-kentucky-baylor-nike-chrome-uniforms-620x1027-181x300.jpg

blackunis-300x196.jpg

grayuni-600x480.jpg

delk-197x300.jpg

...and...of course...the infamous denim:

kentucky-denim-uniform-675x380-600x338.jpg

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I agree with this. I enjoy switching things up and think the different designs can be fun.

I actually don't disagree with this. I like having a "special" for fun occasions. I have no idea what we could do, but I have really warmed up to UT's "Smokey" uniform ... it's all grey and their usual team colors are white/orange.

The biggest problem for Tech is weak demand. I do agree with that. While we are a "smaller" school, we are hardly small. Not only that, but according to the NCAA licensing guys (down at the Perimeter), Georgia Tech ranks among the highest, if not the highest, in spend per person. In other words, if a decent product is available, Tech fans will buy it. What they won't buy ... is junk. Which is mostly what we have.

My wife hates my closet. I think I have 50 GT ball caps and they all suck. New Era is probably the best quality, but the crown is too high and they won't make a low crown version (which I favor). The others ... not one uses the correct color scheme. Not one. Is it any wonder BDS looks discombobulated and not like an organized fan base?

I have finally caved in and designed my own. It's in manufacturing now. At least it will be correct, color wise.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
nyway we can get these in front of the appropriate heads?

No need. I started to reply with some of my own graphics and the reality is that no matter who is chosen (UA, Nike, etc), they are more than qualified to product 6-8 renderings to get the creative started. They will normally start with research, positioning vs. other teams, and then a draft.

So good things coming. We just need to dump Russell.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Mat has done a great job.... If GTAA followed this and UA came on board with $10-20M year deal..that would be great!!

That entire link is worth looking at, not just the unis. I didn't notice the honeycomb helmets when I first saw it, and I could definitely do without that design. I'm also not wild about the font that he chooses, but the uniformity he uses in all his suggestions makes total sense......something apparently recent branding and marketing people at Tech don't employ.
For those who may have missed it, that link again is https://mattkosmala.wordpress.com/portfolio/446/