Running Backs

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure Temple ran some I-formation. I think our personnel would work well for that. Something like Oliver QB, Benson FB, Cotrell HB, could run that pretty well I think. Need to find someone who can block in the TE role...

I don't think Collins wants to run any Flexbone because of the optics. But, using our upperclassmen who know how to run it to run the Flexbone triple in short yardage situations, would be a heck of a weapon. Basically use it the way other teams run the wildcat. Opponents would be totally unprepared for it if we only ran a handful of times each game.
Yes. The flex bone seemed better equipped on short yardage than most offenses I watched last year. Would love to see it as part of short yardage and goal line play.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree. We have a stable of good young qb prospects. It is the one position battle that has me "juiced" for spring. I'd be surprised if Yates wins it. The OL has me much more worried than qb. But then a crappy OL can make any qb look horrid. ('15)

I'm actually optimistic about the OL this year. Our two starting tackles come from SEC programs, so they won't have to make much of a transition. Cooper is a solid starting C, and Lee and Hansen should be able to fill in at the guard spots. I think we'll be better than people think (if everyone stays healthy).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm actually optimistic about the OL this year. Our two starting tackles come from SEC programs, so they won't have to make much of a transition. Cooper is a solid starting C, and Lee and Hansen should be able to fill in at the guard spots. I think we'll be better than people think (if everyone stays healthy).

Starting tackles haven’t been named yet.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Duh.. no starters have been named. I'm just making a prediction like everyone else in this thread.

That would have been more apparent if you had said..”I think so and so will start at the tackle spots and am optimistic about our OL.”.......or similar. Duh.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Nope. The post stands: if he is any good this is an opportunity for him. Nobody mentioned started last year, after all. Put 'em all in a sack and shake it out. My impression is Graham can't pass and we don't know anything about LJ.

Sorry, the “if Yates doesn’t start, then it’s another year of QB-less football” line you closed with says exactly that you believe Yates is the only “true QB” on roster. You’re not even leaving a chance in there that those guys might be any good at what we’re going to run. Own that statement if you’re gonna make it.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Who knows how, when or if Benson will fully recover from his knee injury? I hope he is 100% for fall camp but who knows?

In a recent post on the “Winter is Coming” thread there’s a picture of KirVonte doing a squat (can’t exactly see the weight, but it’s at least 3 plates on each side) with the team cheering him on, and I didn’t see a brace or anything on his knee. He’s a talented athlete who is highly motivated and a hard worker, I wouldn’t count him out being ready for spring practice, much less fall camp.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, the “if Yates doesn’t start, then it’s another year of QB-less football” line you closed with says exactly that you believe Yates is the only “true QB” on roster. You’re not even leaving a chance in there that those guys might be any good at what we’re going to run. Own that statement if you’re gonna make it.
Well, okay. Those two had their chances against a QB who could in effect run one play. Then the position is wide open,and as I recall Graham didn't show much in his brief excursion. We are again looking for a QB.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Well, okay. Those two had their chances against a QB who could in effect run one play. Then the position is wide open,and as I recall Graham didn't show much in his brief excursion. We are again looking for a QB.

Um Johnson likely would have taken the job without injury Graham was being held in reserve but without it johnsons injury he would have been a wr last year so he may still end up there.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
In a recent post on the “Winter is Coming” thread there’s a picture of KirVonte doing a squat (can’t exactly see the weight, but it’s at least 3 plates on each side) with the team cheering him on, and I didn’t see a brace or anything on his knee. He’s a talented athlete who is highly motivated and a hard worker, I wouldn’t count him out being ready for spring practice, much less fall camp.

I’m not counting him out, and i hope he comes back better than ever, you just never know with a major knee injury

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Um Johnson likely would have taken the job without injury Graham was being held in reserve but without it johnsons injury he would have been a wr last year so he may still end up there.

CPJ wasn’t exactly known for playing freshmen QB’s so i’m not really sure that Graham ever had a realistic shot at winning the starting job last season. I do know from watching warmups that he has a strong arm, and he looked like a tough runner in his limited playing time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ wasn’t exactly known for playing freshmen QB’s so i’m not really sure that Graham ever had a realistic shot at winning the starting job last season. I do know from watching warmups that he has a strong arm, and he looked like a tough runner in his limited playing time.
Nesbitt 2.0 I’m hoping!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will find out a lot about who will likely be our starting QB against Clemson during the spring game. That is barring injury during fall practice.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Forecasting positions is great for message boards but nothing in the past shows Johnson as "likely" starting ... except a message board. We have had buckets of QBs who were said to be starters and dropped by the wayside.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Forecasting positions is great for message boards but nothing in the past shows Johnson as "likely" starting ... except a message board. We have had buckets of QBs who were said to be starters and dropped by the wayside.

Watching him play in the spring game, CPJ had them calling deepshots over and over again with him. lower percentage passes that tq would not have hit or had called. That is indicative of him at least prepping him to do more than just ride backup.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching him play in the spring game, CPJ had them calling deepshots over and over again with him. lower percentage passes that tq would not have hit or had called. That is indicative of him at least prepping him to do more than just ride backup.
If Johnson was going to take snaps from Marshall, he would have done it in the second half of the 2017 season. Since he got no meaningful snaps then, it is doubtful he would have played much in 2018 - except for the games when Marshall was injured.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
If Johnson was going to take snaps from Marshall, he would have done it in the second half of the 2017 season. Since he got no meaningful snaps then, it is doubtful he would have played much in 2018 - except for the games when Marshall was injured.

Yes, because players don’t grow and get better at all from year to year. Nobody ever improves between freshman and sophomore years. Sounds legit.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, because players don’t grow and get better at all from year to year. Nobody ever improves between freshman and sophomore years. Sounds legit.
Well by that same logic shouldn't Marshall have gotten better in his second year as a starter?

If CPJ thought Marshall was better in 2017, almost assuredly he was going to see him as the better fit for the offense in 2018.

And I am not trying to be a jerk with these posts. I apologize if the tone if them comes across as such.