Running Backs

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I doubt Kirvonte will have the same success in Patenaude's system vs the Triple. This offense is going to require much more zone reading by rb's which he basically had to do none of in the triple outside of an a gap vs b gap decision.
Well … it could. But I'm betting that it won't.

Most shotgun spread offenses in college are basically double options with some passing. Same as what we used to run, except that there's no initial BB/B gap read. (Mind, the plays can be to the B gap too.) The QB reads the DE (usually) then either keeps or hands off/pitches or (RPO) throws off of play action. The RB goes to the designated hole - if DE bites - or blocks if he doesn't. You are thinking that we'll be running a true pro style and, if we do, then there will be two blocks (usually) to read both at about the same place. But, again, I doubt we'll do that; it would waste the running ability of our QBs and slow down the game, to our disadvantage.

Also, since Benson ran out of a shotgun spread (the real high school offense) in high school, I doubt he'll have much problem adjusting. Provided, that is, that can return to health in time for the spring. But we'll see.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Who knows how, when or if Benson will fully recover from his knee injury? I hope he is 100% for fall camp but who knows?

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Well … it could. But I'm betting that it won't.

Most shotgun spread offenses in college are basically double options with some passing. Same as what we used to run, except that there's no initial BB/B gap read. (Mind, the plays can be to the B gap too.) The QB reads the DE (usually) then either keeps or hands off/pitches or (RPO) throws off of play action. The RB goes to the designated hole - if DE bites - or blocks if he doesn't. You are thinking that we'll be running a true pro style and, if we do, then there will be two blocks (usually) to read both at about the same place. But, again, I doubt we'll do that; it would waste the running ability of our QBs and slow down the game, to our disadvantage.

Also, since Benson ran out of a shotgun spread (the real high school offense) in high school, I doubt he'll have much problem adjusting. Provided, that is, that can return to health in time for the spring. But we'll see.

Right, but I think this offense will involve outside stretch running plays that are really dependent upon rb reading and cut back ability which we just haven't seen out of him yet, has mostly been north south running. Not saying he won't be able to do it, it's just an adjustment that may take some time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot of skill players. The question is how to get them the ball. I think we need to go after one of these grad transfer QBs. I’m not sure any of the guys on this roster have the arm talent, and I don’t want to feed Yates to the wolves as a freshman.

I’ve defended our OLine, but Ive become more disillusioned about the 2019 group after Parker’s exit. Brent Key will be a great coach for us, and I know he’ll get the most out of this until. But I’m not sure his coaching is going to change the lack of size. 80% of our OLine would play center on other rosters. Nothing against them, it’s the offensive they were recruited to play. But I’m concerned about the lack of range and size that will be needed to operate a more conventional offensive system.
The college landscape is filled with freshmen QBs starting and playing well. If Yates is any good, then this looks like an opportunity for him. If not, well then one more year of QB-less football.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Way to sell Graham and LJ short
Nope. The post stands: if he is any good this is an opportunity for him. Nobody mentioned started last year, after all. Put 'em all in a sack and shake it out. My impression is Graham can't pass and we don't know anything about LJ.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I bet Oliver starts against Clemson. I bet he will surprise us in passing, seems to have ldrshp skills and is only one that has played at that speed.
Can he make progression reads on pass plays with 3 or 4 receivers running routes. I am worried we can't block long enough to make decent reads for any of them. TO is a good runner and if he can pass in this system he definitely has an advantage in experience. I would not be surprised to see him start.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Can he make progression reads on pass plays with 3 or 4 receivers running routes. I am worried we can't block long enough to make decent reads for any of them. TO is a good runner and if he can pass in this system he definitely has an advantage in experience. I would not be surprised to see him start.
Teach him to speed read or run like he**

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The college landscape is filled with freshmen QBs starting and playing well. If Yates is any good, then this looks like an opportunity for him. If not, well then one more year of QB-less football.
I disagree. We have a stable of good young qb prospects. It is the one position battle that has me "juiced" for spring. I'd be surprised if Yates wins it. The OL has me much more worried than qb. But then a crappy OL can make any qb look horrid. ('15)

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I bet Oliver starts against Clemson. I bet he will surprise us in passing, seems to have ldrshp skills and is only one that has played at that speed.

I agree, I think Oliver has the best chance at being the opening day starter. He may not stay there, and I hope the younger guys push him. But I don't know that JG is a better passer, even if he is a better athlete, to overcome the experience gap. LJ's health is a wildcard.

Based on our personnel, what makes the most sense is a multiple formation option-run offense, lot's of RPO, speed option, zone read, etc. While, I'm sure we won't see the Flexbone, I bet we run a fair bit of triple out of a spread formation. (But it'll look like this 'NFL-based' version, LOL:

Oliver, Cotrell, Gantt and Benson (or Jamious Griffin) could run the stuffing out of that play.)

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
TO was quicker getting out from center than TM last year. Not sure how that translates in a spread but he must have a pretty decent first step and foot quickness. Will we run anything under center this year? PJ made good point about why give up 3 yards with shotgun on short yardage situations. I hope we run some of both.

Pretty sure Temple ran some I-formation. I think our personnel would work well for that. Something like Oliver QB, Benson FB, Cotrell HB, could run that pretty well I think. Need to find someone who can block in the TE role...

I don't think Collins wants to run any Flexbone because of the optics. But, using our upperclassmen who know how to run it to run the Flexbone triple in short yardage situations, would be a heck of a weapon. Basically use it the way other teams run the wildcat. Opponents would be totally unprepared for it if we only ran a handful of times each game.

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Pretty sure Temple ran some I-formation. I think our personnel would work well for that. Something like Oliver QB, Benson FB, Cotrell HB, could run that pretty well I think. Need to find someone who can block in the TE role...

I don't think Collins wants to run any Flexbone because of the optics. But, using our upperclassmen who know how to run it to run the Flexbone triple in short yardage situations, would be a heck of a weapon. Basically use it the way other teams run the wildcat. Opponents would be totally unprepared for it if we only ran a handful of times each game.
I'd be OK with it if we just kept the VT game playbook (and blocking scheme). Of course, VT had a young defense last year, but I have never seen Bud Foster so befuddled as he was that night.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
TO was quicker getting out from center than TM last year. Not sure how that translates in a spread but he must have a pretty decent first step and foot quickness. Will we run anything under center this year? PJ made good point about why give up 3 yards with shotgun on short yardage situations. I hope we run some of both.
Agree. And you are giving up more like 6 yards with the shotgun on short yardage when you factor distance to a first down.

It is hard to argue with Clemson's success but I still cringed when quarterback and running back were deep on short yardage in the championship. All it takes is one defender knifing through to create a loss, something that is more likely to happen when most all of the defenders are closer to the line than the offensive backfield.

But then Clemson had a pretty near perfect offensive line that never seemed to miss an assignment.