1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Running Backs

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by Coloradojacket, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Coloradojacket

Coloradojacket Helluva Engineer

First, I am excited about what we are doing and what coach is doing. Caveat, need to see the team win, but that is for next season.

Here is the question, we now have 6 running backs that to me are all pretty good. Amerson is special as is Griffin. Add to that Nate Cotrell. Now what? H backs, full backs when we run the I, yes Temple ran some I.

who starts, who plays, who goes where?

2. bke1984

bke1984 Helluva Engineer

Kirvonte and Jordan-Swilling say hi

I think it’s slot receivers and DBs maybe.

buzz_wiser© likes this.
  3. gtstinger776

gtstinger776 Helluva Engineer

We have a lot of skill players. The question is how to get them the ball. I think we need to go after one of these grad transfer QBs. I’m not sure any of the guys on this roster have the arm talent, and I don’t want to feed Yates to the wolves as a freshman.

I’ve defended our OLine, but Ive become more disillusioned about the 2019 group after Parker’s exit. Brent Key will be a great coach for us, and I know he’ll get the most out of this until. But I’m not sure his coaching is going to change the lack of size. 80% of our OLine would play center on other rosters. Nothing against them, it’s the offensive they were recruited to play. But I’m concerned about the lack of range and size that will be needed to operate a more conventional offensive system.

BuckeyeJacket and Joeb21 like this.
  4. nyto

nyto Jolly Good Fellow

I'm sure some can catch passes and some can make tackles. C'est la vie

5. GT_receivers

GT_receivers Ramblin' Wreck

Jerry Howard maybe at HB? Maybe Kirvonte or Bruce Jordan at FB?

6. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

I disagree violently. James Graham and Jordan Yates aren't 4-star RBs, they are 4-star QBs. They can both throw very well. As can Lucas Johnson. If they all 3 stay healthy, QB play shouldn't be the problem.

gt69hjcollins, Sarrick, GTRX7 and 6 others like this.
  7. Jacket4Life9

Jacket4Life9 Ramblin' Wreck

I haven't been this excited about GT football in several years--certainly not the recruiting aspect. Jamious was a HUGE get and I'm glad he's on our team regardless of our RB #s.

I'm mainly concerned about the OL. Parker Braun is a high 4* or 5* OL that we (and not many teams) could afford to lose. I'm sure we'll be okay, but the offense will only be as good as the OL.

bobongo and Whiskey_Clear like this.
  8. GT_B

GT_B Helluva Engineer

I’m really interested to see how this shakes out because of size I could see benson, mason or Howard all being a fullback. But I also don’t see any of them wanting to convert from being a feature back to a blocker majority of the time.

I think we will have one of our smaller OL, convert into an H-back/full back role. Whoever doesn’t end up with the majority playing time as the main RB for us, I see transferring.

9. A Love Supreme

A Love Supreme Helluva Engineer

Is one of those running backs good at basketball? Pastner needs some players

10. SteamWhistle

SteamWhistle Helluva Engineer

At the end of the day the more we have means the ones that do end up playing are Elite.

11. iceeater1969

iceeater1969 Helluva Engineer

Ha , they could use help.

The shooting percentage is embarrassing..

What is concerning about the "backs" is the balance - few sr, some jr and a lot of youth. Throw in a young lb that was a great hs rb and it looks like a balence problem that won't be solved quickly.
    Qb also very young.

12. Milwaukee

Milwaukee Helluva Engineer

Does Swilling have 2 or 3 yrs left? I feel like we've wasted a year with him but I may be wrong. Imo he should've been on the field every snap at LB since the day he stepped foot on campus.

alentrekin likes this.
  13. gtstinger776

gtstinger776 Helluva Engineer

When have you seen them do that? I haven’t seen graham or Johnson throw a pass in a game situation.

14. tmhunter52

tmhunter52 Helluva Engineer

Has Parker Braun officially left the team? I see several players who entered the Transfer Portal, but who decided to stay with their current team. I wonder if Tech’s coaching staff continues to interact with Parker to try to keep him from leaving?

GT_receivers likes this.
  15. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

I watched their tapes.

alentrekin likes this.
  16. Northeast Stinger

Northeast Stinger Helluva Engineer

OL to H-back? I did not see that one coming.

17. TECH_Veteran85

TECH_Veteran85 Ramblin' Wreck

Why not keep the running backs in a rotation during the game so they all get playing time?

18. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

Most players need to develop a rhythm as the game goes on in order to reach their peak. Also, if somebody is tearing it up you don’t want to take them out.

19. 33jacket

33jacket Helluva Engineer

if you don't buy in you don't buy in. Florida will run essentially the same offense we are about to; or let me say, we will run a very similar set especially on the line. So iiwii.

Gtbowhunter90, Boaty1 and LargeFO like this.
  20. GT_B

GT_B Helluva Engineer

It’s not crazy to think an OL around 270 can slim down to around 250 and become a fullback type of player. When I said H-back I’m referring a hybrid back similar to a TE, not a half back if that’s what you are thinking. Pittsburgh has had a guy or 2 of this same type of build every year we’ve played them.

augustabuzz likes this.