Running Backs

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure we'll run plenty of sets with 2 backs and with some flex guys (slot, H-back) who can also go in motion. We'll incorporate the option somehow, possibly even triple-option plays but out of a different set. The future depends on how many guys leave, how many guys find other positions, and how flexible people can be. If our backs can run block (lead and otherwise), pass block, catch the ball on screens and outlets, and run a few routes crisply, they'll be in the game plenty even if the individual touches are small. And hopefully they can contribute on special teams too. True we're imbalanced, but if any of our guys have the talent to play, finding themselves on the field for a significant number of snaps is entirely in their hands.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
When have you seen them do that? I haven’t seen graham or Johnson throw a pass in a game situation.
Have you listened to Collins answer that question? Suggest you find some of his super bowl week intervie2s. He seemed pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Has Parker Braun officially left the team? I see several players who entered the Transfer Portal, but who decided to stay with their current team. I wonder if Tech’s coaching staff continues to interact with Parker to try to keep him from leaving?

He’s visiting 3 factories so I’d say it’s pretty much a done deal even if not official yet. If CGC were to reel him back in somehow it would be his biggest recruiting win yet.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
if you don't buy in you don't buy in. Florida will run essentially the same offense we are about to; or let me say, we will run a very similar set especially on the line. So iiwii.
Paul is that you? ;)

It concerns me when our best returning player/human being doesn't buy in.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I’m really interested to see how this shakes out because of size I could see benson, mason or Howard all being a fullback. But I also don’t see any of them wanting to convert from being a feature back to a blocker majority of the time.

I think we will have one of our smaller OL, convert into an H-back/full back role. Whoever doesn’t end up with the majority playing time as the main RB for us, I see transferring.
Which "smaller OL" would you try to move to HB/FB? Our smallest scholarship OL is Jahaziel Lee at 6'2" 287. I don't know why our fans keep believing that our OL is that much smaller than the average. At worst, we have a majority of guys that tend to fit more into the typical G/C template, but they're definitely more OL size than borderline TE/HB. Maybe Harrison Jump (at 6'5" 260) could slim down and have enough athleticism to fit that role, but he's also likely one of the few traditional OT frame guys we have. I think it's a lot more likely that we try to move someone like maybe Luke Johns to that role and just let his athleticism shine.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I have to think Collins saying he was surprised by our QBs (and the fact that he didn't aggresively target a transfer) means he is comfortable with JG, LJ and Yates. It's not hard to imagine JG being used as a package guy like Fields, and the other two are tailor-made for the O these guys want to run. Camp and Carter can play at this level, and Hawkins-Anderson and Sanders should fit better in this scheme. IMO, TO will be a hybrid/H, and Bruce may fit there nicely as well. A-Brown and some of the A-backs will be fine in the slot, and if JG isn't at QB, he will get touches. Also, Juanyeh on O plz...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Paul is that you? ;)

It concerns me when our best returning player/human being doesn't buy in.
Thanks for your concern.

I wish Coach had not accepted the 3 year extension and quit after 1 year. Then the new staff would have 1 year to win him over.

U sure seem to default to the new staff is failing.

I could be wrong but I dont believe u know him? family, OL veterans on the team , coaches.

I was thinking it could be a personal situation.
How about the injury history of ol guys in our scheme being a an issue for a guy that's a posible top NFL pick.???
Lee, morgans, bryan, marshall, stickler?
2 of these had major injuries running our blocking scheme. Lee and Bryan had injuries that took them out of multiple games and they lost starting position . Ditto Klock.

I also have never heard you discuss the games from the stand point of watching from the stands. I watch the interaction of ol players and coaches. I think would get a big kick watching coach cuss after a play goes bad. Then a number of plays later the ol guy that goofed up trys to sneak off field behind a buddy. Later they say coach sees everything and laugh about how he gives them an ear full. They all laugh about parker who just walks by and paying little attention . Looking through binoculars you can see coach sewak animatedly giving instructions eye to eye w the players. But there is parker who is listening but looking around. Guys say he totally knows the plays .

Parker is a great talent who could be simply looking for a new challenge.

I like to think positive and imagine he goes to UF, learns new offense, stars, beats uga. Then enters the NFL draft as top ol pick who has physical and mental ability to be a star.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Which "smaller OL" would you try to move to HB/FB? Our smallest scholarship OL is Jahaziel Lee at 6'2" 287. I don't know why our fans keep believing that our OL is that much smaller than the average. At worst, we have a majority of guys that tend to fit more into the typical G/C template, but they're definitely more OL size than borderline TE/HB. Maybe Harrison Jump (at 6'5" 260) could slim down and have enough athleticism to fit that role, but he's also likely one of the few traditional OT frame guys we have. I think it's a lot more likely that we try to move someone like maybe Luke Johns to that role and just let his athleticism shine.

If he has good hands. If not....defense.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Why not keep the running backs in a rotation during the game so they all get playing time?

The objective is to win, and the more talented running backs (faster, stronger, vision, production) give you the best chance to win. You aren't going to play an athletically inferior player just so that they'll get playing time.

Now of course you want to have depth, you want to spell players, so are you going to have a few. Some backs have different styles and depending on the game situation you might play someone else. Ahead in the 4th? Give it to the bruiser. Two minute offense? Probably want a back who can block and/or is a threat in the receiving game.

And every now and then you'll have two guys who are so good you have to get both on the field...but that's a good problem to have. See Cadillac Williams/Ronnie Brown or Michel/Chubb for a recent example.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Does Swilling have 2 or 3 yrs left? I feel like we've wasted a year with him but I may be wrong. Imo he should've been on the field every snap at LB since the day he stepped foot on campus.

He has 3 years. He's a RS SO I do believe. And yes he should've gotten more PT, but he was going up against some studs at LB in camp... I.e. Brant Mitchell

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It’s not crazy to think an OL around 270 can slim down to around 250 and become a fullback type of player. When I said H-back I’m referring a hybrid back similar to a TE, not a half back if that’s what you are thinking. Pittsburgh has had a guy or 2 of this same type of build every year we’ve played them.
I was just thinking that we already have a dozen or so running backs and some of them have the frame to add weight and are also used to holding a ball.

But it is an interesting idea.