Rothstein . . .

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So it's fine for a fan to make asinine comments as long as they don't work for a paper?

Because let's face it, we fired gregory because his terrible recruiting and transfer practices left us in a very bad situation talent wise and hired a coach who many in our own camp strongly doubted the coaching ability of. Predicting we'd win 0 when most of our own fanatics were predicting 2 wasn't exactly asinine at the time.

There's idiot fans in every fan base that make stupid (asinine) statements, but writers are held to a higher standard. They are paid to do research and give reasons. Most of us on the board expected a bad season, but at least the sane fans spelled out in pretty good detail why we would have a bad season, and it was hard to argue with. With Rothstein, he just made a stupid statement with nothing to back it up, and doubled down a few weeks later. There's the difference.

savjacket9

Georgia Tech Fan
There's idiot fans in every fan base that make stupid (asinine) statements, but writers are held to a higher standard. They are paid to do research and give reasons. Most of us on the board expected a bad season, but at least the sane fans spelled out in pretty good detail why we would have a bad season, and it was hard to argue with. With Rothstein, he just made a stupid statement with nothing to back it up, and doubled down a few weeks later. There's the difference.

Writers are paid to get attention in the internet age. If the views are because of well researched and insightful pieces great, but if the views are for asinine or just incendiary comments that works too. Both bring in advertisers and that's what brings in the money.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Writers are paid to get attention in the internet age. If the views are because of well researched and insightful pieces great, but if the views are for asinine or just incendiary comments that works too. Both bring in advertisers and that's what brings in the money.

That's my point. He made a statement to draw attention to himself without giving reasons, now he's on our bandwagon because he was proven wrong. Had we not won a game, he'd probably be gloating then given all the reasons why after the fact.

No thanks.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

First off. It was a tweet. If you were expecting a full fledged article explaining why he thought that on twitter then that's on you. Second off he did give a reason. Twice. Both times it was based on a roster that was pretty much universally agreed on as being really lacking on talent.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
First off. It was a tweet. If you were expecting a full fledged article explaining why he thought that on twitter then that's on you. Second off he did give a reason. Twice. Both times it was based on a roster that was pretty much universally agreed on as being really lacking on talent.

Yes, you can link to ful fledged articles in tweets. In fact, that's was the basis of Twitter.

If Rothstein did give reasons, then I guess I missed it. My bad on that.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL.

Yes, it's great for our kids and recruits to hear writers say GT is going to finish at the BOTTOM of the ACC and have ZERO wins. That does great things for our program.

I don't want writers who get called out for making asinine statements like the above jumping on our bandwagon. Sorry...can't have it both ways.

Geez get a clue

I just listened to Feinstein interview CJP. Even heard him sing ramblin wreck on the lead in. He spoke at length about how good a job CJP and the Jackets were doing and how wrong he was at the start of the year about the Jackets. I hate Feinstein with a passion but you can't buy that kind of publicity.

Fwiw CJP did his standard talk about how Georgia Tech didn't believe they would win a game this year. Should we get rid of them too?

I want as many talking heads as I can get having CJP on and talking about how wrong they were about this team. The best publicity we could ever get it for both the team and the school. And the best help for our recruiting efforts that we could get

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Geez get a clue

I just listened to Feinstein interview CJP. Even heard him sing ramblin wreck on the lead in. He spoke at length about how good a job CJP and the Jackets were doing and how wrong he was at the start of the year about the Jackets. I hate Feinstein with a passion but you can't buy that kind of publicity.

Fwiw CJP did his standard talk about how Georgia Tech didn't believe they would win a game this year. Should we get rid of them too?

I want as many talking heads as I can get having CJP on and talking about how wrong they were about this team. The best publicity we could ever get it for both the team and the school. And the best help for our recruiting efforts that we could get

No buddy, YOU get a clue. I wasn't talking about the media en mass with my comment so don't take it there. My subsequent posts should give you a clue as to the specific media member I was was referring to as well as the title to this thread.

If you read my posts on GTSwarm, I'm very vocal about the benefits of working WITH the media as opposed working against them, so don't don't get on your soapbox about the media with me.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Your comment was "you don't want writers who get get called out for making asinine comments jumping on our bandwagon ". That is a lot broader than Rothstein. Hell every media person I read or listened to would be included.

So is your vendetta just rostein now or all the writers the way you wrote it?

To me having rostein eat crow with CJP is the best thing in the world for tech. Especially rostein

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Your comment was "you don't want writers who get get called out for making asinine comments jumping on our bandwagon ". That is a lot broader than Rothstein. Hell every media person I read or listened to would be included.

So is your vendetta just rostein now or all the writers the way you wrote it?

To me having rostein eat crow with CJP is the best thing in the world for tech. Especially rostein

When a specific contractor does a bad job on one specific thing (i.e. making asinine comments) but you're fed up with him you use contractors the plural because you don't want to say that persons name...the specific thing should clue you in.

I brushed my teeth this morning, so I didn't want to say that writer's name specifically because then I would have had to brush my teeth again...

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Rothstein went out of his way to drive home the point (that most agreed with) that Tech would be unlikely to have a good season or win many games in the ACC, even possibly lose them all.
But he had a bizarre manner of seeming to gloat about how bad he expected Tech to be. That was simply strange or odd behavior. No one thought Tech would be good, not even their coach, so there was no need to express that opinion in an over-the-top manner as if you would win plaudits for being right about the team picked 14th in the league by consensus.

That said, I do want every podcast or sports talk radio station or espn programs to get Pastner on, including Rothstein's. Why? Because imo the more the feel good story of Tech's season is told, the more that story can influence tourney committee members. If they become aware of Tech due to national exposure and have it lodged in the back of their head how nice a storyline they are, plus how much they improved over the season, then it could make the difference if the team plays itself into a bubble.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Jon really lacks humility. He acknowledges his foolishness but......I don't know. He doesn't even feign self deprecation.
At the end he says stte I've never eaten as much crow as I have with this GT team... as if someone else made the prediction. The easiest way to get out of this is to say he was clearly wrong and a lot of people probably had similar thoughts but didn't put pen to paper. Stories like this are what make college basketball so great... then it would be over