Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
On offense! Smelter and Waller are no longer playing in the league. Prove to me than someone from his offense has made a career in the NFL. Go ahead I'm waiting. You can say Peterson did but he was not from tech.
Who cares. It's not CPJ's job to put players in the NFL. It's his job to win college football games. Now, I don't think he's done this with enough regularity, but putting players in the league isn't his job.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
They let Virginia score with less than 2 minutes to play as if they werent even on the damn field.

Happened against Tennessee, Duke, Miami, Georgia too at the end of half or the game...am I missing any?

Stats don’t always tell the whole story. Those half and game ending drives were just pathetic.

They should have never been in that position to begin with. A D that is tired because its O cant keep them off the field, and the ST keep giving them poor field position, will eventually make mistakes. Stats DO tell a story. In this case, they just don't tell the story you want to hear, so you ignore them.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
There are stats that support both perspectives I suppose and I don’t deny anyone’s viewpoint

But I would ask you to pull your football attitude out from within, the I don’t take **** mindset.

My belief is that any defensive player on this team would tell you that their job is to stop the other team from scoring. They won’t tell you that the offense lost 4 fumbles or threw 3 picks. They will tell you that it’s their job to stop the other team regardless of where they take possession of the ball. The oppositions 10 or our 10. They would tell you that they didn’t get the job done. What they wouldn’t say is that they wish the coach would have allowed them to attack, but you know they think it.

This is my belief also attacking is defensive.

I also firmly believe that regardless of any offensive sluggishness or mistakes 28- 31 points on the board should be enough to win the game for most teams

The phrase “ the defense only gave up 31 points” should be the lone wording of the indictment.

I don’t put blame on the players, mistakes are made. I put the fault at philosophy, that is a defensive mindset and game plan going in and that’s the mindset I find totally unacceptable. There is a time to play soft, playing soft is not how to play most of the time.

Those wishing to fire CPJ have a solid point to make, I agree on that, but not because of his offense. if I as a head coach have to tell you to get more aggressive repeatedly and you fail to do it I should be fired for not firing you ! I’m not going to watch my players playing 15 yards off the line while the opponent drives the field, I’m not gonna watch the offense I’m going against, run 7 consecutive plays before my DC adjust to it, I’m not gonna hold press conferences and make excuses for why my DC gives up 60-70 yard drives for points at the end of half’s or games.

I would have long ago lost my mind as the head coach, watching my DC play soft after I’d told him to play head up. Trying not to publically call him out as he ignored my directions prior to and during the games.

Maybe I wouldn’t be around long but maybe I wouldn’t be trying to justify losing games that we scored 41 points in. I wouldn’t accept losing to Virginia when we score 36 pts. I wouldn’t be trying to convince people that we would have won had the offense not turned the ball over and opponent put up 43.

And BTW how is it that simply b/c it’s OT I’m suppose to accept that TN scored 41 pts. If the defense played aggressive we wouldn’t have been in OT. TN scored on every second half possession. It was 28 -6 at one point wasn’t it ?

All these factors of what the offense did or didn’t do only support conjecture. Games are judged on the final score, there are players all over the team who expect their defense to hold even after a turnover, I’m Of the same expectations.

Giving up a score after a TO does happen giving up a score after a score or EVERY TO wouldn’t happen long !

I challenge anyone to find me a winning HC who accepts the excuses we have seen for why the defense gives up what it does. Saban ? Smart ? Sweeney ? Would this go over well with Ross ? O’Leary ? Dodd ? Alexander ? I don’t think so but then again none of them ever had the approach that laying back and being soft would get them or their team anything.

Jmonty71

Banned
They should have never been in that position to begin with. A D that is tired because its O cant keep them off the field, and the ST keep giving them poor field position, will eventually make mistakes. Stats DO tell a story. In this case, they just don't tell the story you want to hear, so you ignore them.
Roof could have 50 pts a game score on him and you'd make excuses. While I agree the D for better. But, not miles better. To add, we lose a lot due to graduation. This was a very veteran D and they didn't act like it, at times. Roof is a washed up has been. Sorry...but, his style is playing not to lose... The O was off. New QB... It was expected.. ST was bad...again..new kickers. The D had veterans. Yet, they failed to keep the lead in 4 or 5 games... Roof may be able to recruit, but he can't coach, they way we need it...

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are stats that support both perspectives I suppose and I don’t deny anyone’s viewpoint

But I would ask you to pull your football attitude out from within, the I don’t take **** mindset.

My belief is that any defensive player on this team would tell you that their job is to stop the other team from scoring. They won’t tell you that the offense lost 4 fumbles or threw 3 picks. They will tell you that it’s their job to stop the other team regardless of where they take possession of the ball. The oppositions 10 or our 10. They would tell you that they didn’t get the job done. What they wouldn’t say is that they wish the coach would have allowed them to attack, but you know they think it.

This is my belief also attacking is defensive.

I also firmly believe that regardless of any offensive sluggishness or mistakes 28- 31 points on the board should be enough to win the game for most teams

The phrase “ the defense only gave up 31 points” should be the lone wording of the indictment.

I don’t put blame on the players, mistakes are made. I put the fault at philosophy, that is a defensive mindset and game plan going in and that’s the mindset I find totally unacceptable. There is a time to play soft, playing soft is not how to play most of the time.

Those wishing to fire CPJ have a solid point to make, I agree on that, but not because of his offense. if I as a head coach have to tell you to get more aggressive repeatedly and you fail to do it I should be fired for not firing you ! I’m not going to watch my players playing 15 yards off the line while the opponent drives the field, I’m not gonna watch the offense I’m going against, run 7 consecutive plays before my DC adjust to it, I’m not gonna hold press conferences and make excuses for why my DC gives up 60-70 yard drives for points at the end of half’s or games.

I would have long ago lost my mind as the head coach, watching my DC play soft after I’d told him to play head up. Trying not to publically call him out as he ignored my directions prior to and during the games.

Maybe I wouldn’t be around long but maybe I wouldn’t be trying to justify losing games that we scored 41 points in. I wouldn’t accept losing to Virginia when we score 36 pts. I wouldn’t be trying to convince people that we would have won had the offense not turned the ball over and opponent put up 43.

And BTW how is it that simply b/c it’s OT I’m suppose to accept that TN scored 41 pts. If the defense played aggressive we wouldn’t have been in OT. TN scored on every second half possession. It was 28 -6 at one point wasn’t it ?

All these factors of what the offense did or didn’t do only support conjecture. Games are judged on the final score, there are players all over the team who expect their defense to hold even after a turnover, I’m Of the same expectations.

Giving up a score after a TO does happen giving up a score after a score or EVERY TO wouldn’t happen long !

I challenge anyone to find me a winning HC who accepts the excuses we have seen for why the defense gives up what it does. Saban ? Smart ? Sweeney ? Would this go over well with Ross ? O’Leary ? Dodd ? Alexander ? I don’t think so but then again none of them ever had the approach that laying back and being soft would get them or their team anything.
Love this post. So true.

slugboy

Staff member
Here are somes stats to chew on from the UVA game.

Defense
We held UVA to 4-17 on third down.
Defense scored an INT TD.
Held UVA to 97 yards rushing.
Kept the UVA QB under 50% passing with 6 YPA.
Only allowed 2 of 18 UVA possessions to gain more than 40 yards. (not including UVA final possession of 2 yards)
11 of 18 UVA possessions were less than 5 downs and resulted in punt or TO.

Offense
Surrendered 5 sacks and 8 TFL
2 INTs thrown
Surrendered a Safety
13 of GTs 17 possessions resulted in a punt or TO.

ST
Allowed 41.0 Yd AVERAGE on KO returns and surrendered a TD

Now, explain to me how the D lost this game?

When I remembered the kickoff return, I edited my post to give the defense a little more slack. But even with poor special teams play, should we have given up 31 points to UVA?
I edged that towards an all-around failure rather than one unit, but 31 points to a bad UVA team, when you needed that win?
And I mentioned the int return, and the fumble recovery. Still, there were inexplicable drives by UVA in that game.

It’s like you completely ignored the rest of the post, focused just on UVA, and then took that out of context.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I understand the frustration and share it. I also think it's easy for us to see a failure to stop a drive as a weakness in the scheme.

One example from COFH. I think it was the drive b4 the half. Mutts had the ball near midfield and we needed a stop bad. Might have been 3rd and fairly long. But we got agressive and blitzed and I think we sent 6 (not positive I haven't watched the replay yet)...that play the mutts ran the ball for a long gain and first down. One guy near me yelled in disgust "damn bend and break Roof" while another fan complained about blitzing on 3rd on obvious passing down and getting beat by a called run play.

I think the 2nd criticism had far more merit than the first. But both were made in hindsight. And I'm pretty sure the run play worked because we once again failed to set the edge properly. But if the edge had been set...and the blitz had picked up the run..it would have been a "genius" play call. And Roof would have been praised for finally, finally, embracing an agressive scheme. (Or would he have? Favorite scapegoats rarely earn praise even when deserved)
I also saw a 3rd and long/medium (not sure if it was the same play) on that drive but they passed. We had 3 down linemen and did a delayed blitz which makes no sense to me when they are in a two minute offense.
they were hardly on the field against UT, they weren't on the field an abnormal amount of time against Miami, they were on the field a ton against Duke and UGA because they could hardly even get a stop from the beginning. No matter what way we look at it we can twist things all we want to fit our own agenda. However, I do know the offense out preformed the defense this year they were ranked 24th before the UGA game and the D was 61st and these numbers are based on stats.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Who cares. It's not CPJ's job to put players in the NFL. It's his job to win college football games. Now, I don't think he's done this with enough regularity, but putting players in the league isn't his job.
I agree it's not his job. Did you get to see the new gt football renovation which highlites gt guys in nfl. Should we take that out and to de emphasize that when recruiting athletes.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

True. A great D could have overcome those issues and succeeded despite them. Though our D was improved, it certainly wasn't great.

Pair that D with our typical offensive performance, and a Buttkicker of a kicker, and we'd likely all be singing hallelujah!!! They would almost certainly have been even more successful.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here are somes stats to chew on from the UVA game.

Defense
We held UVA to 4-17 on third down.
Defense scored an INT TD.
Held UVA to 97 yards rushing.
Kept the UVA QB under 50% passing with 6 YPA.
Only allowed 2 of 18 UVA possessions to gain more than 40 yards. (not including UVA final possession of 2 yards)
11 of 18 UVA possessions were less than 5 downs and resulted in punt or TO.

Offense
Surrendered 5 sacks and 8 TFL
2 INTs thrown
Surrendered a Safety
13 of GTs 17 possessions resulted in a punt or TO.

ST
Allowed 41.0 Yd AVERAGE on KO returns and surrendered a TD

Now, explain to me how the D lost this game?
Thanks for the numbers that prove your point.

There are no numbers available to explain the decline of the ol . They still look confused against virginia - This late in year we should be crisp.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
let that sink in folks ----- we lost 2 games despite scoring 41 and 36 points

Do you bother to look at why we lost with those numbers? No, that would skew your agenda.

Against UT we scored 28 in regulation. OT rules stack the deck in the offenses favor so that drives up both our points scored and given up. Offense played well, but it was a lot of yards that didn't lead to points because of costly turnovers.
Against UVA we scored 36 when we had a pick 6 and another TD set up by a fumble on the UVA 14. So the defense basically spotted the offense 14 while special teams gave up a TD and set up a couple of other short fields for UVA that led to FGs, the offense gave up a safety, and a turnover giving UVA the ball at the GT 30.

BUt hey, when you think every point scored is by the offense and every point given up is on the defense then yeah, you'll view will always be skewed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Look at the possessions from the UVA game:

UVAs 1st series: After a 50+ yd KO return, they started on our 34. We held them to 16 yrds and a FG.
2 Series: 4 plays Punt
3 Series: 3 Plays Punt
4 Series: UVA recovered onsides kick in GT territory. GT held UVA to FG.
5 Series: 4 plays Punt
6 Series: 3 plays punt
7 Series: 5 plays fumble
8 Series: Kickoff Return TD
9 Series: 3 plays Punt
10 Series: 1 play INT TD
11 Series: 8 plays for 78 yds TD
12 Series: UVA intercepted the ball on our 30. Scored TD
13 Series: 4 plays Punt
14 Series: 3 plays Punt
15 Series: UVA starts on the GT 43 due to poor punt. GT holds UVA to FG.
16 Series: 3 plays Punt
17 Series: 3 plays Punt
18 Series: UVA drives 64 yds for TD
19 Series: End of game

So, we can argue that the D surrendered 31 points, but only 14 of those points came on sustained drives. The D was constantly given poor field position, and still managed to hold UVA to FGs instead of TDs.

So, for all you guys who keep blaming the D for everything, what exactly is it that you want? UVA had 18 possessions. We played well on most of them. Conversely, our offense DID NOT make use of their possessions to actively move the ball. much less score. Of our 36 points, the Defense, which we seem to want to blame for this loss, scored 7. At some point, every defense makes mistakes, and when you keep giving the opposing team short fields, it's going to magnify those mistakes.

Now, is our D good? No. It's middle tier and inconsistent. But it's no longer bad, and that's an improvement I don't think we're willing to admit. I think we'll see even more progress next year, and hopefully build some depth along the way.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
they were hardly on the field against UT, they weren't on the field an abnormal amount of time against Miami, they were on the field a ton against Duke and UGA because they could hardly even get a stop from the beginning. No matter what way we look at it we can twist things all we want to fit our own agenda. However, I do know the offense out preformed the defense this year they were ranked 24th before the UGA game and the D was 61st and these numbers are based on stats.

The UT game was again poor field position for the most part. Outside of the final drive, we pretty much gifted UT with field position.
The Miami game it's not like they played horribly. They held Miami to 25 points, 2-12 on third down, and generally acquitted themselves well. Even though Roof took a bit too long to stop the screens at the end, the fact is he did stop them, and Miami required a fluke catch on 4th down to win the game.

Duke and UGA were complete failures, and of these I blame the defense completely for the Duke loss. uga was a complete team loss all around. The D played well in spots vs uga, but got worn out in the 2nd half.

As far as the offense vs the D, yes, the offense rates out better. Even as broken as it is, our offense isn't bad, it's just wildly inconsistent. I have confidence CPJ can iron out the O inconsistencies next year, and I think that with an O that can routinely maintain possessions and close out drives, it will enable our D to play to its fullest as well. Otherwise, we're just blaming the D for the bottom line without digging into the reasons for the bottom line.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Roof could have 50 pts a game score on him and you'd make excuses. While I agree the D for better. But, not miles better. To add, we lose a lot due to graduation. This was a very veteran D and they didn't act like it, at times. Roof is a washed up has been. Sorry...but, his style is playing not to lose... The O was off. New QB... It was expected.. ST was bad...again..new kickers. The D had veterans. Yet, they failed to keep the lead in 4 or 5 games... Roof may be able to recruit, but he can't coach, they way we need it...

We could lose on a 2-0 on a safety and you'd still blame Roof. I fault CTR and the D when it's their fault. The UVA game isn't their fault.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There are no numbers available to explain the decline of the ol . They still look confused against virginia - This late in year we should be crisp.

We missed Fromayan and Klock more than we'd like to admit. With the injuries this year, our OL depth took a major hit, so much so that we had Will Bryan playing out of position most of the year. @flea77 can probably give us more insight there.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We could lose on a 2-0 on a safety and you'd still blame Roof. I fault CTR and the D when it's their fault. The UVA game isn't their fault.
I get it that the D had bad field position against UVA but imo they had a major part in the loss along with the special teams. They gave up 3 long TD plays. I'm probably in between you and some of the others you're arguing with in my beliefs in who's fault the losses were.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Most of the time we went into a game with only 5 or 6 OL to play in the game.
With Eason and Klock gone coach said the ol was poised to be very good. Mystery is why will Bryan had so little playing time in duke and uga. He lost weight over offseason - i guess so he could play ot. Maybe we played shamire to.pass block and get in shape.
Some of the coaches can comment on having a giant ol blocking in the middle. What I saw is when ever someone was in front of him he crushed them, but the crushed dl guy and shamire made a giant pile for the back. He was highly affective at down blocking but we did not do that very often for some reason?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I get it that the D had bad field position against UVA but imo they had a major part in the loss along with the special teams. They gave up 3 long TD plays. I'm probably in between you and some of the others you're arguing with in my beliefs in who's fault the losses were.

The way I looked at it, those long plays were the result of us switching to a more aggressive defense. That is what the D becomes vulnerable to when you switch from a bend but don't break. Frankly I am so sick of the Bend and Break defense that I accepted those long plays. We had way more than enough stops on D to be able to beat them. That is what we have been asking for. But sadly our offense took a huge step back this year and could not take advantage of what the Defense was giving us.

I still hate the Bend & Break before the half and at the end of games. I NEVER want to see that Defense again

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The way I looked at it, those long plays were the result of us switching to a more aggressive defense. That is what the D becomes vulnerable to when you switch from a bend but don't break. Frankly I am so sick of the Bend and Break defense that I accepted those long plays. We had way more than enough stops on D to be able to beat them. That is what we have been asking for. But sadly our offense took a huge step back this year and could not take advantage of what the Defense was giving us.

I still hate the Bend & Break before the half and at the end of games. I NEVER want to see that Defense again

The way we lined up at the end of the Virginia game didn't make any sense. They needed a FG to tie, but we lined up in soft zone and let them march down into field goal range...THEN once they were in field goal range we decided to play press coverage and gave up the TD. Hell, at that point we should have just stayed in the soft coverage to keep them out of the end zone since all they could do with a FG was tie. The time for press coverage was when they were out of FG range...

Status
Not open for further replies.