Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Do you think any D coordinator wants this job? I don’t think our D is gonna improve significantly regardless who the D coordinator is going to be. You can’t recruit bc of academic restrictions and the offense that we run. I think the offensive personnel can’t improve your D in defending pro/spread type offense bc we don’t have the players to replicate these types of offense (just like these types of O has problems defending option O).

With that said, I think the offense has to carry this team. I think CPJ has to look at the offense.. Any thoughts about adding an O coordinator? How about a new O line coach? Our o line should not be this bad year to year..

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

The post you quoted said that prior to 2014, the only way to get to the Orange Bowl was to win the conference. In the BCS era, starting in 1998, an ACC runner up would have been in the Orange Bowl if the ACC champ was in the BCS game.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Do you think any D coordinator wants this job? I don’t think our D is gonna improve significantly regardless who the D coordinator is going to be. You can’t recruit bc of academic restrictions and the offense that we run. I think the offensive personnel can’t improve your D in defending pro/spread type offense bc we don’t have the players to replicate these types of offense (just like these types of O has problems defending option O).

With that said, I think the offense has to carry this team. I think CPJ has to look at the offense.. Any thoughts about adding an O coordinator? How about a new O line coach? Our o line should not be this bad year to year..
We don't need an OC, CPJ is the OC and a very good one.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan

Amen, that’s the problem

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Dude, it’s not just my opinion, it’s reality. You’re not really comparing apples to apples when you give Johnson credit for making the Orange Bowl in 2014 as if it would have been the same thing for previous coaches to make the Orange Bowl. It’s basically the same thing as the Gator Bowl in 1998 when we tied for the ACC title. It’s not a bad accomplishment at all and I was proud as hell of the team...It’s just not the same thing as it would have been in prior seasons. Let’s just be realistic when using it to compare to prior coaches and seasons
You're not comparing apples to apples either. You can't really compare the level of competition now, compared to years in the past imo.

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
We don't need an OC, CPJ is the OC and a very good one.
If he’s such a great OC, why does the O seem down 2 of the last 3 years? And please don’t start with the stats bc stats can be analyzed/manipulated to make any case in point.

What I’m saying/asking is that we need to look at the O side of the ball. If CPJ is going to be here, we need to consider revamping our coaches. The o line/qb/RB/wr. Something is not working. We need that side of the ball to carry the team.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
You know, even with the recruiting restrictions, the fact remains that it is coaching that's the problem here. Ga.tech winning a title proves you can win here. Have to coach better all around, even if it means cleaning house.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
If he’s such a great OC, why does the O seem down 2 of the last 3 years? And please don’t start with the stats bc stats can be analyzed/manipulated to make any case in point.

What I’m saying/asking is that we need to look at the O side of the ball. If CPJ is going to be here, we need to consider revamping our coaches. The o line/qb/RB/wr. Something is not working. We need that side of the ball to carry the team.
“Tell me why the offense hasn’t been as good, but don’t use facts to back it up.”

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
“Tell me why the offense hasn’t been as good, but don’t use facts to back it up.”
We are going back to the “what came first the chicken or the egg” question.. no thank you.

Can we all agree that the offense needs to carry the team? If so, the offense didn’t get the job done this year. Correct? Our D is going to be the same regardless. That’s been the case since CPJ has been here. If we score enough on O and shorten the game, then our D gets better bc the D doesn’t have to be on the field as long. Isn’t that how our triple option offense is successful?

We are going back to the “what came first the chicken or the egg” question.. no thank you.

Can we all agree that the offense needs to carry the team? If so, the offense didn’t get the job done this year. Correct? Our D is going to be the same regardless. That’s been the case since CPJ has been here. If we score enough on O and shorten the game, then our D gets better bc the D doesn’t have to be on the field as long. Isn’t that how our triple option offense is successful?
Yes

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The runner up going to the Orange Bowl if the ACC champ is alive for the national title didn't start in 2014, it started in 1998.
FSU was ranked 3rd. 2014 was the first year an ACC champ ranked 3rd would have not gone to the Orange Bowl.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

I think the offense needs to be the side of the team that carries more weight, but I don’t accept that the defense will be the same regardless. I also think there needs to be some changes to the offensive coaches, specifically at offensive line.

But don’t come with that weak bulls—- about telling you why the offense isn’t as good but foreclose the usage of data to support or refute the point.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
A good OC has balance. We run 99% time. That is called either stubborn or outdated. You pick.
This just isn't true. Lots of potent offenses skew heavily to one side of run/pass. Oregon used to beat the daylights out of people spreading it out and running. West Virginia. Mike Leach offenses have never run the ball much, and he's scorched his fair share of earth. Tech's execution simply wasn't up to standard this year. The disturbing thing to me is that we appeared to regress as the year went on...

Status
Not open for further replies.