Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are comparing stuff to Gailey ? Mark these words my dude. Tech his heading downhill with Johnson in charge. I am thankful for his time here at tech and the good wins we have had but, his time is slowly coming to an end. Stansbury is a former player. He is looking at the same product most football guys like myself are seeing. We have played the game and there is a certain style you want to look like and play like. The product on that field is below standards. Some of you can defend and defend all you want but Johnson is coming to a close. Do you guys really believe Stansbury is going to keep giving Johnson extensions??
I compare things to Gailey, because he ran the kind of offense you want Tech to have, and he had less success than Johnson has had with his offense, other than 2 out of 3 losing seasons. Yes, Johnson must (and I think does) take the blame, but the fact is that he has been limited to a great extent by available funding to hire more and better assistants. I think TStan will provide that funding if possible, and if Johnson doesn't improve as a result, then he will not only not get extensions, he will probably retire. It frankly wouldn't surprise me if he retired after this season, but I don't believe that he will. I more and better resources don't produce results in 2 years, then he will go. I realize that's not soon enough for you, but I am willing to give him the chance, because I believe he is a very good football coach, and it will be far more difficult than you realize to replace him with anyone who will stay very long at all.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Look at it through the eyes/ears of a high school kid, and an elite football player at that. It's an easy pitch for an opposing recruiter to tell the kid GT will not do a good job preparing him for the pros. No chance to practice pass-rush against a cut-blocking, run-blocking offense. No chance to hone your pass coverage skills against the nation's best blocking WR corp. Oh and you're gonna get cut block for 4 years in practice. Doesn't matter the reality of that, that's what these kids are being told you can bet on it. A few defenders active in the NFL for GT isn't going to sway 98% of these kids.
In your hypothetical, it would help greatly if GT had a average size recruiting staff to rebut these arguments made by opposing teams.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Look at it through the eyes/ears of a high school kid, and an elite football player at that. It's an easy pitch for an opposing recruiter to tell the kid GT will not do a good job preparing him for the pros. No chance to practice pass-rush against a cut-blocking, run-blocking offense. No chance to hone your pass coverage skills against the nation's best blocking WR corp. Oh and you're gonna get cut block for 4 years in practice. Doesn't matter the reality of that, that's what these kids are being told you can bet on it. A few defenders active in the NFL for GT isn't going to sway 98% of these kids.

Opposing recruiters say lots of things. Cutcliffe said publicly that he didn't see why any WR planning to to the the NFL would go to GT's offense. Then ESPN named GT WRU. The kids you are describing who believe their entire future is in the NFL are going to pay less attention to the things you stated than: easy academics, parties, and sex. GT does not have easy academics, and the coaches tell recruits that straight up. GT does have sex and parties, but nowhere near the level of UGA, Auburn, FSU, etc. Those kids aren't coming to GT no matter what the offense is.

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
Opposing recruiters say lots of things. Cutcliffe said publicly that he didn't see why any WR planning to to the the NFL would go to GT's offense. Then ESPN named GT WRU. The kids you are describing who believe their entire future is in the NFL are going to pay less attention to the things you stated than: easy academics, parties, and sex. GT does not have easy academics, and the coaches tell recruits that straight up. GT does have sex and parties, but nowhere near the level of UGA, Auburn, FSU, etc. Those kids aren't coming to GT no matter what the offense is.

I think 95% of the kids signing D1 scholarships these days are planning on making the NFL. It didn't used to be that college was viewed as merely a stop-over. GT has enough to overcome with these kids with the academic load, my point was the offensive system adds to the difficulty in recruiting these kids certain they are headed to the pros.

Oddly enough I do think the coaches have a story to tell putting WRs in the league as clearly the word is out our WRs come to the league as the best blockers out there.

I think 95% of the kids signing D1 scholarships these days are planning on making the NFL. It didn't used to be that college was viewed as merely a stop-over. GT has enough to overcome with these kids with the academic load, my point was the offensive system adds to the difficulty in recruiting these kids certain they are headed to the pros.

Oddly enough I do think the coaches have a story to tell putting WRs in the league as clearly the word is out our WRs come to the league as the best blockers out there.
The sad thing is that probably at least 75% of that 95% don't make it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I have heard players say that in their first meeting with CPJ, he told them that if they are not serious about being a student that they should not consider GT. I understand that GT promotes the Total Person Program and the success that former athletes have had in professional sports and in business. I understand that they stress that after attending GT, the recruit will be a better person overall and ready to succeed in whatever career path they take. In the radio show, CPJ discussed recruiting at Hawaii. He said that they didn't put a lot of emphasis on kids with strong families that attended all of their games. The reason was that many of those kids wouldn't want to go to Hawaii where their parents couldn't reasonably attend. I believe at GT, they try to recruit players who can handle and who value the academics. Those kids probably aren't as vulnerable to the "you can't make it to the NFL there" attacks as other kids. There aren't as many of them, and GT needs to recruit the entire country to try to find more of them. That is one area that extra recruiting staff would help very much.

75southjacket

Banned
Not really. If you're in shape I'm sure you could take most big league coaches 1 on 1. Break down defensive tape or offensive tape. Heck prove you know what you're talking about and do an offensive breakdown of the GT / UGA game. Talk about schemes and designs, or even easier pick an offensive scheme you'd like GT to run and give examples of why that would work well here.
Physical superiority is why tech lost today. Our D line is undersized and UGA was able to run the ball and make easy third down conversions. They have really big D lineman that forced Marshal to keep and they have long DE that can run . We lost today because they have all those 4 and 5 star players.

Physical superiority is why tech lost today. Our D line is undersized and UGA was able to run the ball and make easy third down conversions. They have really big D lineman that forced Marshal to keep and they have long DE that can run . We lost today because they have all those 4 and 5 star players.
They had all those 4 and 5 star players last year too, and yet Tech won. A healthy Chubb, plus Sony Michel is the only thing Georgia really has that's different from last year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Bay Bay went 25th in 2010 and Morgan followed in the second or third round. Could have been Stephen hill with the Jets in 2012. That's a good question but I'm close to my answers
Bay Bay was the second highest, Morgan was actually drafted number 16 in the 1st round and Bay Bay was drafted 22nd. Then you have Hill, Attaochu, then Gotis.

I had to look it up, I was thinking Attaochu.

I am a fan of the up tempo run n gun attack. I think y

Derrick Morgan I believe . I think the Titans

Let's be honest here , UGA has owned Johnson , hell they have owned tech the past 35 years. It all comes down to recruiting. They have bigger , stronger , and faster players.
They have always had bigger, stronger, and faster players, and they probably always will. And yes, they HAVE owned Tech over the past 35 years, and there is virtually no coach in the country who could do any better. Even the might Saban would not succeed at Tech, for the same reasons that most of the other coaches since Dodd have not succeeded. At least Johnson has an ACC championship and two Orange Bowls to his credit.

75southjacket

Banned
They have always had bigger, stronger, and faster players, and they probably always will. And yes, they HAVE owned Tech over the past 35 years, and there is virtually no coach in the country who could do any better. Even the might Saban would not succeed at Tech, for the same reasons that most of the other coaches since Dodd have not succeeded. At least Johnson has an ACC championship and two Orange Bowls to his credit.
So why are still trying to compete at the highest level but yet the school isn't willing to fund at the highest level? What are our options here? Do we just sit around and whine about it or do figure out how to make the correct moves ? From my standpoint and that is me doing the eyeball test. Tech does not have a roster that will even win the coastal in a very long time.

So why are still trying to compete at the highest level but yet the school isn't willing to fund at the highest level? What are our options here? Do we just sit around and whine about it or do figure out how to make the correct moves ? From my standpoint and that is me doing the eyeball test. Tech does not have a roster that will even win the coastal in a very long time.
We try to figure out how to make the correct moves, and I believe (HOPE) that TStan is the man for the job. It's for sure that Dave Braineless, DRad, and MBob were not.

75southjacket

Banned
Bay Bay was the second highest, Morgan was actually drafted number 16 in the 1st round and Bay Bay was drafted 22nd. Then you have Hill, Attaochu, then Gotis.

I had to look it up, I was thinking Attaochu.
I was going off the top of my memory. I knew it was one of the two . I've been following tech for awhile. I'm very disappointed in the product on the field. Since your a guy who's played ball his whole life. Remember when you would watch teams get off the buss or go through their warm up drills , you can always tell whose going to be a problem and who wasn't ? Did you ever do this ?

75southjacket

Banned
We try to figure out how to make the correct moves, and I believe (HOPE) that TStan is the man for the job. It's for sure that Dave Braineless, DRad, and MBob were not.
All we can do is hope. A lot of us come here to this board to let off our emotions to one another. We can't beat each other's throat if our opinions are different. We all have one thing in common , and that's to see Ga Tech football win.

Status
Not open for further replies.