Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Pete Kwiatkowski Or Jimmy leak are two other guys. Pete is the defensive coordinator at Washington and leak is the co defensive coordinator there. We could hire one and they could get a pretty good raise. Neither are making over $600,000.

75southjacket

Banned
Pete Kwiatkowski Or Jimmy leak are two other guys. Pete is the defensive coordinator at Washington and leak is the co defensive coordinator there. We could hire one and they could get a pretty good raise. Neither are making over $600,000.
Tech want hire someone from that region. The DC from Jax St us going to be looked at hard.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Johnson has been to two Orange Bowls
We really need to be careful tossing this out a lot. If the CFP didn’t exist in 2014 FSU is in the Orange Bowl as the #3 team in the country and we are in the Peach Bowl. I love the 2014 team and all, but the only way we could get to the Orange Bowl in prior years was to win the conference, which Johnson did once.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone is inter
Ah, great question. I'm not in favor of a new head coach. I'm just tired of all the "fire Roof" crowd. If it's a forgone conclusion by the powers that be (not GT Swarm) that we must replace the DC, then I say "No. We've been through many with the same result." Maybe it is the head coach. Once again, I'm not in favor of this move, but to those who keep insisting it's the DC, I think we will get the same result. Maybe it's the players. The good thing about that is we get 25% new players each year. My guess is focus on that. Improve the players you bring in. We average 40-50th best recruiting class year after year and same result. That's the one thing we haven't changed over the years. Change that and lets see what happens.

Everyone is interested in what adjustments need to be made to compete effectively...that does not necessarily mean winning, it means putting yourself in a position to win. This season began with very competitive efforts and has devolved into these last few games resulting in non competitive efforts. That is what has prompted the understandable call for change. Does that mean replace the coaching staff and flip the apple cart? That certainly would introduce change, but is that change targeted and productive? Probably a hit or miss venture. Perhaps the existing staff needs to recommit to recognizing that the ACC is much stronger and competition now requires new thinking (starting with benchmarking with successful peers)- and most importantly innovating...the current mind set of stating the obvious, shrugging and moving forward with that same mindset is erroding base support and is not sustainable. CPJ is a sharp guy. He is at a crossroad of opportunity...let's see how he responds with most of his starters on offense returning...it's tough to win with a first year QB...UGA did because 1. Fromm beat out a five star, ( we don't have a five star) 2. Four top NFL draft picks inexplicably decided to stay and play with a chip on their shoulders, fair enough. Everyone is confused and concerned, a reactionary response is typically not most beneficial in the long run...next year will tell the story.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Ah, great question. I'm not in favor of a new head coach. I'm just tired of all the "fire Roof" crowd. If it's a forgone conclusion by the powers that be (not GT Swarm) that we must replace the DC, then I say "No. We've been through many with the same result." Maybe it is the head coach. Once again, I'm not in favor of this move, but to those who keep insisting it's the DC, I think we will get the same result. Maybe it's the players. The good thing about that is we get 25% new players each year. My guess is focus on that. Improve the players you bring in. We average 40-50th best recruiting class year after year and same result. That's the one thing we haven't changed over the years. Change that and lets see what happens.

No offense, but that’s a good grasp of the obvious to say we need better players. As you point out, CPJ has had 10 years to do that, and he hasn’t done so on a consistent basis. 40th - 50th is either what he’s happy with, or it’s the best he can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No, but we were a few points away in 2014. Think about how close we could be if we could just match a school like Boston College in monetary contributions to the program.

Edit: Just asking that people try to remember that we are not far removed from 2014. A year where one defensive stand against UNC and a healthy Smelter against FSU gets us into the playoff. Even with a horrible budget for football.
Our record since that 2014 season is 17-19. One bowl game.

This season seemed to be on a nice trajectory until the fluke loss at Miami. I thought we played well at Clemson in spite of the loss. At that point we were 4-2 and had barely lost to two teams in the Top Ten.

My hopes were shattered after the debacle in Charlottesville. Our defense that played so well earlier all seemed to disappear. It is now clear the "great" defense we saw against VT was really their lack of an offense. I was so embarrassed by the Duke game that I never really expected a different outcome against uga.

I am not sure it's Roof's fault, but something has to change. It has been my opinion for some time that our offense hurts us on the defensive side as well. When the offense is clicking we can overcome a lot, but Roquan Smith playing 7-8 yards off the LOS and focusing on Taquon may be the blueprint for beating our offense. We could not block him ever and that is not Roof's fault.

Animal02

Banned
Our record since that 2014 season is 17-19. One bowl game.

This season seemed to be on a nice trajectory until the fluke loss at Miami. I thought we played well at Clemson in spite of the loss. At that point we were 4-2 and had barely lost to two teams in the Top Ten.

My hopes were shattered after the debacle in Charlottesville. Our defense that played so well earlier all seemed to disappear. It is now clear the "great" defense we saw against VT was really their lack of an offense. I was so embarrassed by the Duke game that I never really expected a different outcome against uga.

I am not sure it's Roof's fault, but something has to change. It has been my opinion for some time that our offense hurts us on the defensive side as well. When the offense is clicking we can overcome a lot, but Roquan Smith playing 7-8 yards off the LOS and focusing on Taquon may be the blueprint for beating our offense. We could not block him ever and that is not Roof's fault.
It is only a blueprint when the dive and pitch were not an option.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
We really need to be careful tossing this out a lot. If the CFP didn’t exist in 2014 FSU is in the Orange Bowl as the #3 team in the country and we are in the Peach Bowl. I love the 2014 team and all, but the only way we could get to the Orange Bowl in prior years was to win the conference, which Johnson did once.
“We have to be very careful using a fact that doesn’t support my worldview.”

slugboy

Staff member
Passing attack!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting on you to mention this category
. Do you want to talk numbers on passing ? I'm sure I don't have to tell you. Running the damn ball 90% of the time is not going to win championships at this level. Maybe in D2 or high school but this is big boy football.

Looking at the ESPN stats, passes are 16% of our plays, 25% of our touchdowns, 22% of our yards, and we completed 36% of our passes.
By total offense, we’re the number 74 team this year. UCF, Army, and Navy were all better running our offense than we were.
We should have passed more, but we weren’t good at it. We weren’t good at running either.
We did play one less game, so looking at F+, we were the number 45 team before yesterday’s hammering, 61 defense, and 24 offense (behind Navy, Army, and Central Florida, who also played one less game).
Watching us pass yesterday, there were a few time that I thought the pass blocking looked better than the run blocking. QB and WRs seemed like they were on a different playbook.
On defense, we got pushed all over the field.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Many pages of nonsense. Announcement today on this?
I wouldn't expect an official announcement until Monday from the School or CPJ.
Not sure what to make of KQ's twitter, but sure sounds like Roof may be gone and CPJ staying. However the school will be adding / beefing up staffing to match other schools. The school just can't afford CPJs buyout I don't think unless he just straight up retires

75southjacket

Banned
Looking at the ESPN stats, passes are 16% of our plays, 25% of our touchdowns, 22% of our yards, and we completed 36% of our passes.
By total offense, we’re the number 74 team this year. UCF, Army, and Navy were all better running our offense than we were.
We should have passed more, but we weren’t good at it. We weren’t good at running either.
We did play one less game, so looking at F+, we were the number 45 team before yesterday’s hammering, 61 defense, and 24 offense (behind Navy, Army, and Central Florida, who also played one less game).
Watching us pass yesterday, there were a few time that I thought the pass blocking looked better than the run blocking. QB and WRs seemed like they were on a different playbook.
On defense, we got pushed all over the field.

As the great Johnson would say " you have to look at a body of work and not the last game " if you are true Tech and schedule your fall around football, than you know the passing game sucks. It has been that way since Johnson took over. Please , nobody compare anything to Gailey for the love of God. All I know , Tstansbury is watching the product. He knows there is talent issues. He knows we are undersized. He knows Johnson and his below average staff is not going to take tech to the next level. For all of you that can't admit that this offense hurts recruiting, it hurts the defense, and more importantly his hurts attendance. It's boring and outdated. If you don't see those three things as a issue, you don't need to watch football anymore.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
“We have to be very careful using a fact that doesn’t support my worldview.”
Dude, it’s not just my opinion, it’s reality. You’re not really comparing apples to apples when you give Johnson credit for making the Orange Bowl in 2014 as if it would have been the same thing for previous coaches to make the Orange Bowl. It’s basically the same thing as the Gator Bowl in 1998 when we tied for the ACC title. It’s not a bad accomplishment at all and I was proud as hell of the team...It’s just not the same thing as it would have been in prior seasons. Let’s just be realistic when using it to compare to prior coaches and seasons

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Johnson’s going to be in his 11th year in 2018. It’s not crazy to have had four DCs in that period of time. Richt hired Pruitt in 2014, who was his fourth (after Van Gorder, Martinez, and Grantham). Hell, Gus Malzahn is on his third in his fifth season.

I don’t expect anyone to come in and make us Alabama. All that I ask is that we make tackles when we’re in position to do so. At least make the opponent earn it. Roof hasn’t done that.
Lol because Muschamp took another job

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Dude, it’s not just my opinion, it’s reality. You’re not really comparing apples to apples when you give Johnson credit for making the Orange Bowl in 2014 as if it would have been the same thing for previous coaches to make the Orange Bowl. It’s basically the same thing as the Gator Bowl in 1998 when we tied for the ACC title. It’s not a bad accomplishment at all and I was proud as hell of the team...It’s just not the same thing as it would have been in prior seasons. Let’s just be realistic when using it to compare to prior coaches and seasons
I guess I missed the BCS rankings at the end of 2014. Assuming FSU - the undefeated, defending champion - would not be in the title game is a bit much. Hell, they were ranked #2 in both polls after the championship games.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
I would like Tech to take a long look at Jacksonsonville State defensive coordinator as a replacement for Roof.

Milwaukee

Banned

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.