Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Roof’s should be fired...his offense was terrible today...only managed 7 points...oh wait....

Sure, they had their shortcomings on defense, but let’s be honest...it was the strength of the team this year. Our offense was average, our special teams was pathetic, and our D was ever so slightly above average...and we are going to make Roof the scapegoat.

So it’s silly and stupid because it was the only year under Johnson that I can remember blaming something other than the defense. But the sad thing is that even as unfair and stupid as it looks, it’s probably a good move. We can’t play defense as passively as we do and be a good team. We have to play a super aggressive style and just live and die by big plays (both ways). Letting teams drive down the field at the end of halves like Georgia did, and Miami did, and Virginia did, and Virginia Tech did is not condusive to winning football games.

Now...that being said, there are some other position coaches that should be evaluated as well. O line, QBs, ABs, WRs...in fact, just about every position on O and D looked pretty sad a lot of the time this year. We can’t just give everyone but Roof a free pass like we have in the past. If we are going to keep the HC and make staff changes then we need to do some real evaluation across the board and figure out where our true problems lied and address them.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
I can accept being beaten on a play. Badly missed tackles, playing off receivers 10 yards on 3rd and 5, especially the slot man running free on a slant is preventable. Rushing 3 and playing off all receivers in 2 minute drill is virtually a certain score with clock stopping on every first down - that isn't the players it is whole coaching staff.

Scubapro

Banned
Yeah, Roof’s should be fired...his offense was terrible today...only managed 7 points...oh wait....

Sure, they had their shortcomings on defense, but let’s be honest...it was the strength of the team this year. Our offense was average, our special teams was pathetic, and our D was ever so slightly above average...and we are going to make Roof the scapegoat.

So it’s silly and stupid because it was the only year under Johnson that I can remember blaming something other than the defense. But the sad thing is that even as unfair and stupid as it looks, it’s probably a good move. We can’t play defense as passively as we do and be a good team. We have to play a super aggressive style and just live and die by big plays (both ways). Letting teams drive down the field at the end of halves like Georgia did, and Miami did, and Virginia did, and Virginia Tech did is not condusive to winning football games.

Now...that being said, there are some other position coaches that should be evaluated as well. O line, QBs, ABs, WRs...in fact, just about every position on O and D looked pretty sad a lot of the time this year. We can’t just give everyone but Roof a free pass like we have in the past. If we are going to keep the HC and make staff changes then we need to do some real evaluation across the board and figure out where our true problems lied and address them.
The key stat is how many turnovers did the D generate? They O didnt play well for sure not to mention our special teams But next to no turnovers puts the team behind the eight ball

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The key stat is how many turnovers did the D generate? They O didnt play well for sure not to mention our special teams But next to no turnovers puts the team behind the eight ball
I agree the D wasn’t very good and I think we need someone more aggressive. But I think it’s stupid if we just make Roof the scapegoat. The O was pathetically bad at times this year. Position coach changes are needed over there as well. A D coordinator change is going to handle the D assistant coaches by default.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm not old but I have more of a old school mindset. I think stuff like loud colored uniforms, turnover chains, and turnover planks are all gimmicks. But if thats what gets these kids excited these days then I guess there does need to be a change.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If Roof is gone so should Speed & Pelton.
So shoul the o-line coach and the WR coach.
None of these guys offer much in recruiting or coaching.
Dead weight.

There gonna be a lot of good coaches in need of employment soon. Better grab some.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Look on the bright side about not making a bowl game. If Roof is fired and other coaches we will have all kinds of time to interview/make offers earlier than other teams preparing for bowl games.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Roof went back to his same dumb ways in the Duke game, but it's not his fault we have 5 serviceable o-lineman because of our OL coach's archaic recruiting habits. There's also CPJ's loyalty to some offensive starters. That's all I'll say.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Johnson’s going to be in his 11th year in 2018. It’s not crazy to have had four DCs in that period of time. Richt hired Pruitt in 2014, who was his fourth (after Van Gorder, Martinez, and Grantham). Hell, Gus Malzahn is on his third in his fifth season.

I don’t expect anyone to come in and make us Alabama. All that I ask is that we make tackles when we’re in position to do so. At least make the opponent earn it. Roof hasn’t done that.

If Roof is gone so should Speed & Pelton.
So shoul the o-line coach and the WR coach.
None of these guys offer much in recruiting or coaching.
Dead weight.

There gonna be a lot of good coaches in need of employment soon. Better grab some.
Actually, the O-line coach is a good recruiter. But I'm not convinced he is a good O-line coach anymore.

Maybe I was reading something into what he said, but IMO Johnson gave a pretty big hint on his call in show last Monday that Roof might be gone. He said that he (Johnson) couldn't coach everybody, and he has certainly had to tell Roof to get aggressive several times over the past 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.