Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Your post is complete garbage. Roof is the 3rd or 4th highest paid DC in the conference.
His comment said when CPJ wanted Ellis Johnson money wasn't available and that when CPJ wanted Kelly money wasn't available. Those statements are true. Even after CPJ passed over a salary increase for himself to get raises for the assistants, the salary pool at GT is the dead bottom of the ACC. It appears to me that there are a lot of proven facts in his post.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/12/08/how-tech-stacks-up-in-assistant-coach-salary-pool/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Your post is complete garbage. Roof is the 3rd or 4th highest paid DC in the conference.
There’s nothing false about not being able to afford CEJ or CCK. That happened. Truth is it takes a bucket of cash to attract a decent DC here. What other reason would a quality DC wanna come here? It sure as hell isn’t because it’s easy to recruit.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson's very tricky response could mean one of 3 things:

1. He's staying but God is it fun to mess with your beat reporter mind.
2. He's as good as gone but I think I'll mess with Ken's mind for a couple of weeks just for the fun of it.
3. He's hanging in the torture chamber and it's just a matter of time until he says "Uncle, I quit".

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Johnson's very tricky response could mean one of 3 things:

1. He's staying but God is it fun to mess with your beat reporter mind.
2. He's as good as gone but I think I'll mess with Ken's mind for a couple of weeks just for the fun of it.
3. He's hanging in the torture chamber and it's just a matter of time until he says "Uncle, I quit".
Or it could be that he has nothing to say on the matter and he is tired of people asking the same questions in different ways trying to devine an answer that doesn't exist.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Or it could be that he has nothing to say on the matter and he is tired of people asking the same questions in different ways trying to devine an answer that doesn't exist.

That makes sense. I do not have an opinion on Coach Roof except to say that he has not had the horses for the most part. It always goes back to recruiting. For whatever reason we are not getting difference makers on either side of the ball and it is most glaringly apparent on defense. The recruiting rankings for the Johnson era are for the most part in the 40s and 50s. The wonder of it all is that we have managed somehow to mask the lack of talent with smoke and mirrors but that can only go on for so long. This year's class is more of the same while our rivals are hauling in top 20 or better classes.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The weird thing to me is, if Roof was staying why would CPJ not just say it. Hes still under contract and our D coordinator as of now so why not just say it? That’s why I think he won’t be the DC this coming up year. However, I could see him at GT in some other capacity.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That makes sense. I do not have an opinion on Coach Roof except to say that he has not had the horses for the most part. It always goes back to recruiting. For whatever reason we are not getting difference makers on either side of the ball and it is most glaringly apparent on defense. The recruiting rankings for the Johnson era are for the most part in the 40s and 50s. The wonder of it all is that we have managed somehow to mask the lack of talent with smoke and mirrors but that can only go on for so long. This year's class is more of the same while our rivals are hauling in top 20 or better classes.

Someone did a tally of the elite recruits that have signed during CPJ's tenure. The vast majority of of the "elite" (4-5 star recruits) signings has been on the defensive side. In year 3 of a coach's tenure, you start seeing "his guys" play bigger roles. Ted has been here long enough, and his defense has had the majority of the higher rated kids. IMO, we know what we're gonna get with Ted. Another year or two isn't going to change anything.

You look at CPJ. He won 9 games and 11 games his first two years with a majority of guys he didn't even recruit.

There's no reason for GT's defense to be ranked lower than in the 40's. GT's defensive FEI is 66 this year, Roof's 5th year.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think all he was saying was unless Roof decides to leave on his own volition, I don't foresee any change. CPJ likes to screw with our local press pool. That's why he said you would have to ask Roof about Roof's future.

Go Jackets!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Someone did a tally of the elite recruits that have signed during CPJ's tenure. The vast majority of of the "elite" (4-5 star recruits) signings has been on the defensive side. In year 3 of a coach's tenure, you start seeing "his guys" play bigger roles. Ted has been here long enough, and his defense has had the majority of the higher rated kids. IMO, we know what we're gonna get with Ted. Another year or two isn't going to change anything.

You look at CPJ. He won 9 games and 11 games his first two years with a majority of guys he didn't even recruit.

There's no reason for GT's defense to be ranked lower than in the 40's. GT's defensive FEI is 66 this year, Roof's 5th year.

Well, Ted I tried to defend you. Son, you are own your own now.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
His comment said when CPJ wanted Ellis Johnson money wasn't available and that when CPJ wanted Kelly money wasn't available. Those statements are true. Even after CPJ passed over a salary increase for himself to get raises for the assistants, the salary pool at GT is the dead bottom of the ACC. It appears to me that there are a lot of proven facts in his post.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/12/08/how-tech-stacks-up-in-assistant-coach-salary-pool/

At that time it was true. But today the dc budget is by far large enough to do better

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Thats because he his a crappy coach. Denial is only preventing people to see that. And cpj is apparently flawed when it comes to dc. Much like chan was flawed with oc. Coaches have weaknesses too.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Curious to know if, in fact, when CTR was hired if He called us as you stated.

I have heard some $ guys said hire him due to GT connections first & foremost.
I remember that from the initial article that was released after his hire. Though it's difficult to find older articles online to confirm. I think the idea was that he knew O'Brien was going to leave for the Texans, so Roof took advantage of the vacancy at GT and applied. I'd imagine we are a dream job of his.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
At that time it was true. But today the dc budget is by far large enough to do better

How do you know that the budget is really enough? I have always felt like Roof was a hire out of nowhere and that there was a big donor who put up the salary money behind the scenes. I'm not entirely convinced that he was PJ's first choice nor am I convinced he didn't have some extra money attached to him due to his famed alumni status. Of course I openly admit that it's pure speculation and I tend to think like this because I have always hated Roof's defenses.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How do you know that the budget is really enough? I have always felt like Roof was a hire out of nowhere and that there was a big donor who put up the salary money behind the scenes. I'm not entirely convinced that he was PJ's first choice nor am I convinced he didn't have some extra money attached to him due to his famed alumni status. Of course I openly admit that it's pure speculation and I tend to think like this because I have always hated Roof's defenses.

Roofs salary is in the top 10 percent of all ncaa DCs. That is all i need to know to know we have enough money to hire a better dc.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We play a very vanilla D under Roof. Very poorly disguised blitzes and lots of cushion. It' like he is waiting for the other team to make a mistake. We were pitiful with getting turnovers last year so we sure weren't causing many mistakes by the opposition. My opinion we don' have dominant personnel to be that vanilla.

TechPhi97

Jolly Good Fellow

When Charles Kelly went to FSU he made $275,000. Even when he got the promotion to DC, he got $500,000. We hired Roof for $600,000 the same year we let Kelly leave.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Roofs salary is in the top 10 percent of all ncaa DCs. That is all i need to know to know we have enough money to hire a better dc.

Was the salary that high before Roof? My point was that the money may have been a donation contingent upon hiring Roof - not anyone in particular.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Was the salary that high before Roof? My point was that the money may have been a donation contingent upon hiring Roof - not anyone in particular.
I'm pretty sure that's been reported elsewhere as well about the salary going up if Roof was hired. Also, regarding Kelly, I believe he was given a multi-year contract when he signed with FSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.