Injuries this year would indicate our numbers at the offensive skill positions are not over abundant.
You had me with your initial productive points then left me disappointed with your concluding judgemental rant...clearly there are deficiencies that need addressing ...what those might be are of interest to your fellow MB participants...Smh....there are a lot of football experts on this board.....with excellent memories....not. I'm not certain where to start...but I'll be done with this thread sooner than later...
I'm not gonna say everything we coach is perfect...or even best practices for scheme, fundamentals etc. I can't, because I'm not at any practices. Neither are the vast majority of y'all.
I was a fan of Tenuta. I thought he did a helluva job with what he had.
As for those who espouse O'leary, a coach I like tons actually; his defenses as head coach were often awful. Just as bad if not worse than now. How many good Ds did Hamilton play with? Did that mean O'leary was a bad D coach? Or would put up with an ineffective / bad D coordinator....like our guy Roof?
So when is the last time we had a dominating D? Really...put your thinking caps on, when was it?......1990?......??
If you want a dominant D you have to have at least 4 Dline guys starting who will play at the next level. Or at least all conference types. When has Tech ever had that in the modern era of football?
How dominant was any D we faced last year? Food for thought.
Roof is starting to bring in the best talent we have seen in quite some time. That is probably more important than scheme or fundamentals in many respects. How good is Roof at scheme and fundamentals? Coaches he has coached for and players he has coached are qualified to decide. Message boarders here? Most are more clueless here than a janitor expressing his disfavor with NASA scientists' capabilities. Janitor might not like the results but he is clueless on the details involved.
You don't have to have played college ball to know more about football than someone who has. CPJ never played college ball. My dad played college ball and was an official, I had 2 brothers that played in college ball and I know football.
I agree. But it's the rare guy who didn't play who is truly football knowledgeable. I have heard and read enough armchair quarterback opinions to have a pretty clear understanding that those opinions are mostly uninformed and often downright ignorant. I don't know much about schemes and don't pretend to. I do think that even football knowledgeable folk don't have all the answers unless their butts are physically observing practices as well as the games. Those opinions may be informed on football in general but uninformed on the particulars of our team / players and their ability to execute schemes and plays.You don't have to have played college ball to know more about football than someone who has. CPJ never played college ball. My dad played college ball and was an official, I had 2 brothers that played in college ball and I know football.
It's possible that your opinion is as valid as anyone else's.
Yep, it's true that you don't have to come up with a replacement. But the fact is that you either will not or cannot come up with a better option. That's lazy, and it's intellectually incomplete.
(1) I liked Tenuta's defenses. Not the person (whom I did not know) but his defensive game plans of being aggressive were generally more entertaining than....whatever you want to call what we are doing now.
(2) I would rather be aggressive and be beaten than be soft and stretch out the misery. CPJ pretty much admitted that we play "bend but don't break" this year in his radio show last night. His reasons made sense. I still don't like it.
(3) Last year, CPJ said he decided we were going to get off the field one way or another on defense. Either they were going to score quick or we were gonna stop them. That worked better.
(4) I have no idea if Roof is a good or great or terrible coach. I do note we have some freshmen playing on defense, which is (I suppose) a good sign for the future. If recruiting gets better and better, that cannot but help us down the road
(5) Our defenses have been poor under 3 straight D Coordinators which usually means its not the coaching. Just saying'
I would return to last year's strategies on D because at this stage of the year, what have we got to lose?