Roof needs to go and Ray is gone

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
They would have murdered each other. Two alpha males
This. First meeting between the 2 of them didn't go well.
Jon was used to be able to scream at everyone (Gailey included) and get away with it. I'm REALLY reliably told that Jon and Paul both knew about 10 - 15 minutes into their meeting (a very cordial meeting, I might add) that it wasn't going to work for him to stay at Tech. He wasn't going to be asked to stay but he probably wouldn't have accepted the offer anyway, is what I'm told.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
This. In truth, I think our biggest problem is recruiting. i do not see the talent on the field defensively. We have no speed, especially in the front seven. We are easily outflanked. Our D linemen are often pushed 5 years downfield on run plays (just isolate on them and watch, you'll see what I am talking about). With little talent on the field, there isn't much any D Coordinator could do, But this is ridiculous. I do agree that last year we seem to switch to being more aggressive and this year we seem to have gone back to bend but don't break. No matter what. I'd rather lose being aggressive, even without the talent to run a decent defense.
Honestly I think we have the talent, even if they need to play a bit over their heads a lot -- and I think that's what we saw last year. There wasn't the mass turnover on D that there has been on O from last year to this.

Tenuta D scares me. It's a little too far in the opposite direction. That said, I get the feeling -- and I have never played nor coached, so take it fwiw -- that you play with your head on O and with your guts on D.

I think very highly of CTR -- as a player, as a Tech man, and as a coach. I also think that a restrained, careful, thoughtful approach on D isn't going to bring out the best in our guys. Turn them back loose, let them play on fire again, let them do more of what I'm guessing they really want to do out there.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
My biggest thing about D (and not just Tech's D) is that you cannot be passive on defense! It's contrary to everything I was taught about how a D should go about their play. Disciplined, yes but you cannot sit back and play catch and chase, as I call it. D has to play downhill. Tech did that in the 2nd half of last season and I had every confidence in the world that is how they would approach this season. Why it hasn't I just don't know.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Honestly I think we have the talent, even if they need to play a bit over their heads a lot -- and I think that's what we saw last year. There wasn't the mass turnover on D that there has been on O from last year to this.

Tenuta D scares me. It's a little too far in the opposite direction. That said, I get the feeling -- and I have never played nor coached, so take it fwiw -- that you play with your head on O and with your guts on D.

I think very highly of CTR -- as a player, as a Tech man, and as a coach. I also think that a restrained, careful, thoughtful approach on D isn't going to bring out the best in our guys. Turn them back loose, let them play on fire again, let them do more of what I'm guessing they really want to do out there.
It's still the same old problem. Other than Gotsis we really have very little on the line. Better line play and we don't stink near as much.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know if I am advocating for this change or not, but I have wondered recently if pushing Gotsis out to SDE and having Gamble and JHD play inside would be worth it. I dunno. Adam seems like he could do a lot with space. He sheds blockers pretty well and has some push and a little bit of speed. We simply have to get something going on the edge.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We are very fortunate to have Ted Roof as our defensive coordinator. He is a solid coach, a great recruiter and an excellent representative for Georgia Tech in general and the football program in particular. I'm confident he is as frustrated as anyone over our lack of success on defense. Unfortunately, he can not go out there and rush the passer, make tackles or make game changing plays on his own.

We need to stay the course and continue to develop our existing players and recruit better players going forward.

Go Jackets!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if I am advocating for this change or not, but I have wondered recently if pushing Gotsis out to SDE and having Gamble and JHD play inside would be worth it. I dunno. Adam seems like he could do a lot with space. He sheds blockers pretty well and has some push and a little bit of speed. We simply have to get something going on the edge.

Hmmm I think I like this idea. Not only for the outside rush but also a very capable SDE who can and will set the edge. That would allow Rook-Chungong and Freeman to stay fresher at the WDE as well.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Also would like to see Durham, Austin and Gray get dramatically more paying time. Bring Kagawa in as the third linebacker on passing downs. He is underrated by our fan base with a huge upside. These guys are very good athletes and as Jesse Palmer( I know but the point is valid) said last night, you don't get better on the bench, it takes game experience. I think they make some mistakes but I also think they would make some big plays and the mistakes would lessen over time. I think it is time to take a chance on making the D much more athletic. This ties in well with moving AG outside.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
We are very fortunate to have Ted Roof as our defensive coordinator. He is a solid coach, a great recruiter and an excellent representative for Georgia Tech in general and the football program in particular. I'm confident he is as frustrated as anyone over our lack of success on defense. Unfortunately, he can not go out there and rush the passer, make tackles or make game changing plays on his own.

We need to stay the course and continue to develop our existing players and recruit better players going forward.

Go Jackets!
Two things...

1) Would you have the same feeling about Roof if he wasn't a "GT" guy?

2) Roof may not be able to get on the field but he needs to put our guys in spots where they can be better. That's not my opinion, that's fact based off his time here.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am going to reserve judgement on who (if anyone) should go until the off season. There will be plenty of time for that later IMO.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
As a reminder, Miss State set an Orange Bowl record for passing yards last year against GT.
Appears the GT pass defense has not improved over last year Most of same players are on this years team.
So why would it improve?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Smh....there are a lot of football experts on this board.....with excellent memories....not. I'm not certain where to start...but I'll be done with this thread sooner than later...

I'm not gonna say everything we coach is perfect...or even best practices for scheme, fundamentals etc. I can't, because I'm not at any practices. Neither are the vast majority of y'all.

I was a fan of Tenuta. I thought he did a helluva job with what he had.

As for those who espouse O'leary, a coach I like tons actually; his defenses as head coach were often awful. Just as bad if not worse than now. How many good Ds did Hamilton play with? Did that mean O'leary was a bad D coach? Or would put up with an ineffective / bad D coordinator....like our guy Roof?

So when is the last time we had a dominating D? Really...put your thinking caps on, when was it?......1990?......??

If you want a dominant D you have to have at least 4 Dline guys starting who will play at the next level. Or at least all conference types. When has Tech ever had that in the modern era of football?

How dominant was any D we faced last year? Food for thought.

Roof is starting to bring in the best talent we have seen in quite some time. That is probably more important than scheme or fundamentals in many respects. How good is Roof at scheme and fundamentals? Coaches he has coached for and players he has coached are qualified to decide. Message boarders here? Most are more clueless here than a janitor expressing his disfavor with NASA scientists' capabilities. Janitor might not like the results but he is clueless on the details involved.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
CPJ talked about having bracket coverage on Pitts reciever........ well if you have all day to throw, its doesnt matter what coverage you have....and you are going to get big plays against you almost every time which we have because we have no pass rush.......

Liked it earlier and would like to think that most of us agree!

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
Just listened to PJ's post game presser. Link

He is pretty unhappy with the defense and the pass protection of the OL. He basically said about the pass protection and I'm paraphrasing here, "I'm ultimately responsible, but there are some other cats responsible too". Looks like Sewak and Rychielski better get their act together. And Roof definitely needs to get his act together. Honestly, I think Joe Speed needs to be let go. @Leonard Larramore, at one point, said that the techniques Speed teaches are basically ****. I'm starting to agree with him.

Nick Saban could be our defensive backs coach and the results would be the same. Every QB we play is relaxed in the pocket with time to go through their progressions twice. Roof's style is the problem. He's almost as bad as Groh.