Roof needs to go and Ray is gone

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
From rewatching the game, we did a fair job of having guys in position to make the tackle, we just failed to do so on run plays.

I am hopeful we get a little more aggressive this week with some cover 1 and cover 0 defenses. We are better off allowing big plays, and playing a boom or bust strategy.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our guys can cover. They have had a pretty tough mission as of late. I have said this many times on this board and I will say it again, you could take last year's pro bowl defensive backfield and even they won't be able to stay in coverage as long as our guys have to sometimes, against good players no less. Many of our breakdowns in the backfield have come, not as a failure to cover, but rather, failure to make a strong play on the ball after being in good coverage, a different issue but still a deficiency. We have some speed out there on the edges and some cover ability. I was stunned that we had no coverage sacks against PITT Saturday. There were some plays where he had all day, still couldn't find anybody, then had to manuever around before finally running to a sideline and chucking it away. I honestly feel like we would love our DBs if we had a front four that forced some early throws and happy feet.

One of the reasons I liked Tenuta's scheme, is that with the zone blitz packages you can get pressure without having Clowney on one end and Michael Johnson on the other. It has its weaknesses too, but so does sitting back and covering all day.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Our guys can cover. They have had a pretty tough mission as of late. I have said this many times on this board and I will say it again, you could take last year's pro bowl defensive backfield and even they won't be able to stay in coverage as long as our guys have to sometimes, against good players no less. Many of our breakdowns in the backfield have come, not as a failure to cover, but rather, failure to make a strong play on the ball after being in good coverage, a different issue but still a deficiency. We have some speed out there on the edges and some cover ability. I was stunned that we had no coverage sacks against PITT Saturday. There were some plays where he had all day, still couldn't find anybody, then had to manuever around before finally running to a sideline and chucking it away. I honestly feel like we would love our DBs if we had a front four that forced some early throws and happy feet.

One of the reasons I liked Tenuta's scheme, is that with the zone blitz packages you can get pressure without having Clowney on one end and Michael Johnson on the other. It has its weaknesses too, but so does sitting back and covering all day.

The zone blitz package is high risk high reward. It is the quickest way we could make a difference one right now. But we have to recognize you are going to give up some big plays, which as CTR stated we were trying to stop,or eliminate against Pitt.
I would take high risk high reward anyway over what we are currently trying to do on d.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Might be time for Roof to go. He's had three years with very little improvement as a unit. Last year's poor defensive performance was masked by a plethora of turnovers. The hope was that experience would produce results, but I'm not sure it can when lack of aggression is the problem. We need to turn the heat up on opposing offenses...

I would argue that our historical offense masked a lot of the difficiencies of last year's defense. Our inept offense this year has just magnified what was already broken.

To be fair. The defense has played better in some games for us to win games. They're not a defense that can carry us, but if our offense is half as good as last year's O, we win a few more games.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I would argue that our historical offense masked a lot of the difficiencies of last year's defense. Our inept offense this year has just magnified what was already broken.

To be fair. The defense has played better in some games for us to win games. They're not a defense that can carry us, but if our offense is half as good as last year's O, we win a few more games.
Spot on...last year our best defense was our offense's ability to not only put up points but possess the ball.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
That's about as close as we have gotten. How dominant was our D then? Johnson was still developing, Morgan was very young. Put them all together as seniors and now we are talking.

08 was a new DC....Wommack...i think that didn't help. But johnson was a senior, if you mean still developing in the sense that he was still young in that position? But he was pretty good though. Richard and walker were seniors I think too. Morgan was a Soph.

I don't know what you call a dominant defense. What is that for you? For me there is really only 2-3 dominant defenses each year in college football. The rest are really good. At georgia tech our Total D is as follows: This is total yards. This is a statistical difference and significant drop in performance. Under tenuta, statistically we were REALLY good on D. And it bares out across both categories. Dominant? Maybe not...2004 possibly...2005 possibly

GT Ranked in total yards
2003 26
2004 15
2005 18
2006 28
2007 25

2008 30 (with that good DL)
2009 50
2010 61
2011 42
2012 44
2013 40
2014 78
2015 so far 57

Now I will do that same in yards per play just to compare

2003 35
2004 15
2005 23
2006 22
2007 31

2008 43
2009 101 Wommack fired
2010 74
2011 68
2012 71 Groh fired
2013 74
2014 111
2015 so far 93

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
It's always fun saying coach X should be fired. And while this isn't intended to be a defense of Roof, Kevin Steele seems to be doing just fine at LSU. Maybe the players have something to do with it, and maybe Roof's improved recruiting will pay off. I don't know, but I do know that screaming for a coach to be fired is only part of the equation. Gotta have a replacement and a reason s/he would be better. Finish the thought.
Kevin Steele will be exposed at some point, because eventually they will miss Chavis, but of course having the talent level of LSU would be nice. They have athletic freaks all over their defense, but about 95% of teams would like to have LSU's talent, but 95% of teams don't have worse defenses than we do. Our talent level compared to results on the field are pretty bad on defense, and pretty good on offense. If we could get our results to be better than our talent on defense we would be a pretty good team. Roof hasn't ever showed me that he knows how to be a good defensive coordinator. I don't know if part of that is being hurt by the offense that we run, but we should be better than we are. Our soft zones and awful pass rush are not acceptable.

Also, we are fans. If the GTAA wants to pay me 6 figures to figure out who the defensive coordinator should be then I'll do it, but until then I am a fan and I don't have to have "names". That isn't my job, but I can see the results and say "hmm something should change".

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
With regards to Tenuta....I loved him and his style. It got good results and was fun as hell to watch. For a while I thought his type of aggressive scheme would be the perfect compliment to our current offensive scheme. As time has gone on Ive changed my position on this a bit and I see the value of bend but don't break styles. That tends to limit quick strikes and prolong opponent drives and thus possessions. I think either style can work for us. I also want to clarify that I don't think we are playing bend don't break. We do mix in blitzes. Rarely run all out blitzes and the blitzes we send haven't gotten the job done. I think this tends to skew our view on how aggressive we are currently. Now when standard blitzes aren't getting it done, do we limit blitzes more or go to more all out blitzes sending multiples in? Pick your poison there...I'm not qualified to answer the question myself.

Roof did pretty good with Penn State talent. Good enough at Auburn to help win a natty. How good was their D the year after he left? I honestly haven't researched and don't follow Aubie.

But to those who claim any of our coaches aren't good / qualified / etc....how much coaching have you done? How many of our practices have you observed? None of this will slow down typical armchair QBs though. The results on the field are obvious! Right!? Smh.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Kevin Steele will be exposed at some point, because eventually they will miss Chavis, but of course having the talent level of LSU would be nice. They have athletic freaks all over their defense, but about 95% of teams would like to have LSU's talent, but 95% of teams don't have worse defenses than we do. Our talent level compared to results on the field are pretty bad on defense, and pretty good on offense. If we could get our results to be better than our talent on defense we would be a pretty good team. Roof hasn't ever showed me that he knows how to be a good defensive coordinator. I don't know if part of that is being hurt by the offense that we run, but we should be better than we are. Our soft zones and awful pass rush are not acceptable.

Also, we are fans. If the GTAA wants to pay me 6 figures to figure out who the defensive coordinator should be then I'll do it, but until then I am a fan and I don't have to have "names". That isn't my job, but I can see the results and say "hmm something should change".
Yep, it's true that you don't have to come up with a replacement. But the fact is that you either will not or cannot come up with a better option. That's lazy, and it's intellectually incomplete.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I finally took a look at this thread and was pleasantly surprised. I had thought that it was just a bunch of young blowhards calling for the heads of our coaches. It's actually full of good points about the defense.

Like Boomer, I've also wondered if the coaches have thought about moving Adam outside, at least on third and long. He doesn't fit the mold of a rush end, but he seems to be our most effective rusher. If he had more space to work, maybe he is the answer.

I also agree with the poster who made the point that the offense is hurting the defense. When we don't keep the ball long, it means more chances for the other teams' offense and less rest for our defense.

I also think we must try more pressure somehow. As PJ said about this time last year, what we are doing now is not working. If we give us some big plays, so be it. But usually when a fan puts a question about a scheme or play call to PJ, after he explains the situation, you inevitably conclude that in fact he does know what he's doing. Roof also studies the other team's offense and plans according to his best ideas on what we can do. I suspect he also would have a good answer to why he called the defense the way he did.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I also agree with the poster who made the point that the offense is hurting the defense. When we don't keep the ball long, it means more chances for the other teams' offense and less rest for our defense.
Last year the offense carried the defense. By scoring a ton of points it took pressure off the defense and put it on opposing offenses. That is huge. It also shortened the game by running clock and limiting possessions. That is also huge for a defense, especially when your team has the lead.

As far as this year goes, our defense can create it's own "rest" all by itself. All it has to do is force three and outs. It ain't coming close to doing that near enough.

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ puts all his effort on recruiting for his "unstoppable" offense. The athletes he starts on D are mainly those who can possibly flip to A backs or B backs when needed. He is limited on the numbers he can get so he tries to live by outscoring others. The philosophy just doesn't work in this pass happy era. Last year we were lucky with the number of takeaways. This year the talent differential is plain to see, lacking more on D than on O, but light on both sides of the ball.
This is just your opinion right! I cant find any information where it was stated he only recruits for his offense and he only recruits defensive players that can flip.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ puts all his effort on recruiting for his "unstoppable" offense. The athletes he starts on D are mainly those who can possibly flip to A backs or B backs when needed. He is limited on the numbers he can get so he tries to live by outscoring others. The philosophy just doesn't work in this pass happy era. Last year we were lucky with the number of takeaways. This year the talent differential is plain to see, lacking more on D than on O, but light on both sides of the ball.
PaPa Doc, you nailed most of the problem right there! Johnson is going to get his pick of the recruits for his offense. Any leftovers will be used for defensive purposes. That's why Tunata didn't want to stay and also Johnson didn't want another strong personality to deal with. Some folks are also calling for another ST coach, that might be needed but don't forget, for the first few seasons Johnson was the ST coach and they were atrocious many fans bitched so much that he finally hired one. You might want to look for him to fire the current one and for johnson to re-take that position. Believe me, this guy will do anything to hang onto power!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
PaPa Doc, you nailed most of the problem right there! Johnson is going to get his pick of the recruits for his offense. Any leftovers will be used for defensive purposes. That's why Tunata didn't want to stay and also Johnson didn't want another strong personality to deal with. Some folks are also calling for another ST coach, that might be needed but don't forget, for the first few seasons Johnson was the ST coach and they were atrocious many fans bitched so much that he finally hired one. You might want to look for him to fire the current one and for johnson to re-take that position. Believe me, this guy will do anything to hang onto power!

Lots of opinion, very short on fact.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I expect to win at least 6 games and go bowling in a down year!!! Just like 2010.... However this crap....it is BAD!!
Lets talk about the injury situation starting with spring practice. Lets talk again about the attrition from that HORRIBLE 2013 rec. class. Now with ONLY 6 guys left on the field! And never mind that half the attrition were Grohs guys. Oh; and think about the 12 schollies we lost in 2006-2007 which has also played a role that be couldn't imagined! We were reduced to 79 scholly guys, and you know what? That is hard to over come! And that was not on CPJ! Yes last year was great; but you know what the Sr's were the class that was not effected by all this other mess! That left us with not much with all these injuries. Now most of you guys are Tech grads so lets put the numbers together with how this mess caught up to us. Now we do have a strong 2014 and 2015 classes ; but they are really young kids going about an adult's world!

GTFLETCH

Banned
I like TED ROOF and his recruiting!!! The UNC game and PITT game is not on the defense!! in the second half of the PITT GAME PIT scored 10...GT Scored 7... We have problems on the OLINE.... We locker room issues, because CPJ is a better coach than this!!!

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
This is just your opinion right! I cant find any information where it was stated he only recruits for his offense and he only recruits defensive players that can flip.

Right, it is just my opinion on this opinion page. Just saying that 26 players on the roster are listed as AB(2), BB, or QB and 2 DBs work at the AB. Being 7 deep at those 4 offensive back positions uses up so much depth that is needed desperately elsewhere.