Roof needs to go and Ray is gone

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You ever notice how people remember the past as being much better than it actually was. It's kind of like the fish story. The fish keeps getting bigger every time the story is told. In actuality we have basically the same level of talent on our defense that we have had for the last 50 or more years. We just occassionally decide to play better every now and then.

Go Jackets!

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Smh....there are a lot of football experts on this board.....with excellent memories....not. I'm not certain where to start...but I'll be done with this thread sooner than later...

I'm not gonna say everything we coach is perfect...or even best practices for scheme, fundamentals etc. I can't, because I'm not at any practices. Neither are the vast majority of y'all.

I was a fan of Tenuta. I thought he did a helluva job with what he had.

As for those who espouse O'leary, a coach I like tons actually; his defenses as head coach were often awful. Just as bad if not worse than now. How many good Ds did Hamilton play with? Did that mean O'leary was a bad D coach? Or would put up with an ineffective / bad D coordinator....like our guy Roof?

So when is the last time we had a dominating D? Really...put your thinking caps on, when was it?......1990?......??

If you want a dominant D you have to have at least 4 Dline guys starting who will play at the next level. Or at least all conference types. When has Tech ever had that in the modern era of football?

How dominant was any D we faced last year? Food for thought.

Roof is starting to bring in the best talent we have seen in quite some time. That is probably more important than scheme or fundamentals in many respects. How good is Roof at scheme and fundamentals? Coaches he has coached for and players he has coached are qualified to decide. Message boarders here? Most are more clueless here than a janitor expressing his disfavor with NASA scientists' capabilities. Janitor might not like the results but he is clueless on the details involved.
You had me with your initial productive points then left me disappointed with your concluding judgemental rant...clearly there are deficiencies that need addressing ...what those might be are of interest to your fellow MB participants...

Declinometer

Banned
^uh........ok......:rolleyes:

But for what it's worth....my opinion on those matters is equivalent to the janitor example mentioned above. Look to @vamosjackets or @Ibeeballin maybe for informed opinions on those specifics.
You don't have to have played college ball to know more about football than someone who has. CPJ never played college ball. My dad played college ball and was an official, I had 2 brothers that played in college ball and I know football.
It's possible that your opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You don't have to have played college ball to know more about football than someone who has. CPJ never played college ball. My dad played college ball and was an official, I had 2 brothers that played in college ball and I know football.
It's possible that your opinion is as valid as anyone else's.
I agree. But it's the rare guy who didn't play who is truly football knowledgeable. I have heard and read enough armchair quarterback opinions to have a pretty clear understanding that those opinions are mostly uninformed and often downright ignorant. I don't know much about schemes and don't pretend to. I do think that even football knowledgeable folk don't have all the answers unless their butts are physically observing practices as well as the games. Those opinions may be informed on football in general but uninformed on the particulars of our team / players and their ability to execute schemes and plays.

In short, opinions are dandy. Opinions followed by bold proclamations of coaching ability, success, or failure....that's just a bunch of damn hot air in my opinion.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From AJC - "Tech didn’t record a single tackle for loss in 66 offensive plays run by Pittsburgh. According to cfbstats.com, that is a first in coach Paul Johnson’s eight-year tenure..."
"Pittsburgh isn’t particularly strong in this area; the Panthers had averaged seven negative-yardage plays offensively in their first five games. And Tech hasn’t been weak, either. But, on a day when the Jackets got a better handle on giving up big plays – just two after allowing 16 in the previous two games – they couldn’t make big plays themselves."

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Yep, it's true that you don't have to come up with a replacement. But the fact is that you either will not or cannot come up with a better option. That's lazy, and it's intellectually incomplete.

I could easily list about 10 guys that I would rather have but it is a waste of my time. Roof most likely isn't going anywhere since he's a Tech man and is a good recruiter. I'd appreciate if we could stay away from the name calling and the aggressive comments towards each other. I don't like roof, but that doesn't mean I don't love the team and root for the players every week.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
(1) I liked Tenuta's defenses. Not the person (whom I did not know) but his defensive game plans of being aggressive were generally more entertaining than....whatever you want to call what we are doing now.
(2) I would rather be aggressive and be beaten than be soft and stretch out the misery. CPJ pretty much admitted that we play "bend but don't break" this year in his radio show last night. His reasons made sense. I still don't like it.
(3) Last year, CPJ said he decided we were going to get off the field one way or another on defense. Either they were going to score quick or we were gonna stop them. That worked better.
(4) I have no idea if Roof is a good or great or terrible coach. I do note we have some freshmen playing on defense, which is (I suppose) a good sign for the future. If recruiting gets better and better, that cannot but help us down the road
(5) Our defenses have been poor under 3 straight D Coordinators which usually means its not the coaching. Just saying'

I would return to last year's strategies on D because at this stage of the year, what have we got to lose?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We do have a few freshman playing ahead of older guys. Not sure if that says more about the freshmen being "hits" or the the older guys being "misses." One thing I do know, with the numbers we typically recruit, last year being an outlier, we cannot afford the same number of misses as the other guys. For one, we don't send them packing like the bammers of the world.

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
(1) I liked Tenuta's defenses. Not the person (whom I did not know) but his defensive game plans of being aggressive were generally more entertaining than....whatever you want to call what we are doing now.
(2) I would rather be aggressive and be beaten than be soft and stretch out the misery. CPJ pretty much admitted that we play "bend but don't break" this year in his radio show last night. His reasons made sense. I still don't like it.
(3) Last year, CPJ said he decided we were going to get off the field one way or another on defense. Either they were going to score quick or we were gonna stop them. That worked better.
(4) I have no idea if Roof is a good or great or terrible coach. I do note we have some freshmen playing on defense, which is (I suppose) a good sign for the future. If recruiting gets better and better, that cannot but help us down the road
(5) Our defenses have been poor under 3 straight D Coordinators which usually means its not the coaching. Just saying'

I would return to last year's strategies on D because at this stage of the year, what have we got to lose?

Man... If he had decided that some other years too, no telling what would have happened. We could have had more 9+ win seasons. 2011 comes to mind.

And yep, our D has rarely been above mediocre. I'm of the opinion we stick with Roof for consistency and recruiting.