Richt's gone

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
smart and pruitt were roomates and wedding best men. Imo even if he thought muschamp was better and uga could match the 5.1 million auburn is paying muschamp, he would not let his best friend potentially go unemployed when he is coming to the school he is already at and pruitt is not an awful coach.

I really think the buddy system in coaching is way bigger than most people want to believe. Not football, but i am friends with a ex big east basketball coach and he would back this up bigtime. This guy is friends with chip kelly, scott frost,currently on espn as a color analyst and we talked about this topic in the past. How loyal coaches theor undoing is their loyalty to their friends and he admitted he was one of those......

Sewak anyone lol.
You know, you're probably right, but I think that's true in business, too.

But as an aside to this whole thing, with all the changes coming in the ACC, or presumed to be coming -- Miami, Va., VT, Syracuse and I might be missing one -- along with Georgia, there could be some serious upgrading of coaching skills next season. I say this not to fear it because I have always said the ACC will not evolve big time until it has big time coaches. We might not like it when we get there, though. Whoever thought a guy like Les Miles and his 80% winning record would be begging for his job in the last game of the season? Even Richt out: not a great, HOF record, but a very good one.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Richt is a successful coach no doubt about it, if you want to look at pure win / loss ratio then yes he is good enough. For Georgia the key is that he did not win the games that mattered in season or at an sec championship or national championship. Richt has had seasons with amazing talent but couldn't get anywhere. A 9-3 season isn't bad for most schools, but Georgia can do better.
CPJ could very well be in this same boat in the next year or two depending on what the school expects to get out of our football program.
I don't know because I can't evaluate talent, at least from TV. But is it just possible that the "amazing" talent was not all that amazing when it hit D1 level, when everybody across the line was a 4-star, too? An awful lot of 4 and 5 stars suddenly become average in college, and 3 and some 2 stars excel because they keep developing. I just wonder about Georgia's real talent level. Sooner or later it would have to show on the field I would think.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Been at Va Tech for what, 22 years? I don't get impression he was a candidate there, whether by his choice and/or theirs. Got a feeling this won't be a likely time he emerges as a hot HC candidate at a P5 school after not getting the job there.
That being the case -- and as I recall Foster has an opt-out clause in his contract should Beamer leave -- is he going to hang around VT or go out on the market, because whatever else, he can nail together a very good defense.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I could see him moving to a next-tier program as HC. No, I doubt Foster is there for long unless he's really just that committed to Va Tech.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Tom Herman is my feeling. I'm calling it Tom Herman.

That will be a problem. He's a damn good offensive coach and will be a nightmare in recruiting.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Name a current college HC who can supposedly "name his price" because of having a hot hand....I will be surprised if that is the candidate UGA hires. Tom Herman is an example. For exactly the kinds of reason you all describe. He's good.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

That will be a problem. He's a damn good offensive coach and will be a nightmare in recruiting.

Lots of Internet smoke around your guess. Guy might be good but I'm not convinced he is the next great HC. Time will tell. I'm hoping UGA ends up with their 4th or 5th choice.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I do, too. Although possibly for different reasons than you. I don't know. I think LK would be a dumpster fire there.
I don't know Kiffin is better than people on the board give him credit for. He is a hellacious recruiter and a damn good offensive mind. I think he has learned a few things from Sabin that will make him a good head coach in the future. I don't want to see him or Herman end up there.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

Didn't he just turn down USCe? And didn't Houston just sweeten the deal for him in return?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I don't know Kiffin is better than people on the board give him credit for. He is a hellacious recruiter and a damn good offensive mind. I think he has learned a few things from Sabin that will make him a good head coach in the future. I don't want to see him or Herman end up there.

But man is there some baggage from his very short days at Knoxville and USCw and from his time with the Raiders.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you on all points. Except that the thing that did Kiffin in at his last 2 collegiate stops seemed to be more in the off-the-field realm. Maybe he has grown up. Maybe not.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Name a current college HC who can supposedly "name his price" because of having a hot hand....I will be surprised if that is the candidate UGA hires. Tom Herman is an example. For exactly the kinds of reason you all describe. He's good.
A little help here please tell me why he would be that great , with only one year as being a head coach. Thanks

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Herman is a name I'm hearing. I think Dan Mullin is in the running cause he's done bout all he can do at miss st. He would get supreme athletes at ugag he couldn't get there I would imagine.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
That being the case -- and as I recall Foster has an opt-out clause in his contract should Beamer leave -- is he going to hang around VT or go out on the market, because whatever else, he can nail together a very good defense.
ESPN is reporting that Foster and another coach will remain on staff. Time will tell.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Another reason Herman scares me is cause he runs a power run heavy spread, with a mobile QB. That's just too close.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
A little help here please tell me why he would be that great , with only one year as being a head coach. Thanks
I have no need to substantiate that. Feels like the market may be doing that. And, whatever the market will bear is what it will bear. I'm just saying that it appears he's an example of a guy with a hot hand this particular year when there are a lot of openings. Time will tell if he can coach a lick. But, I have a hunch he will have some opportunities soon.