Richt's gone

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't think uGA is a premier coaching position for a HC, but is a good spot. Supposedly USCw has reached out to Chip Kelly, there's no way he chooses uGA over them.
It is Hollywood where glitz is the script of choice, but if USC picks Kelly over Helton after what he did, there ain't no hope there. On the other than Kelly apparently is a weird dude so he would fit right in.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
There's a different kind of legitimacy down there- some kind of warped street cred BS where you have to peddle hoes, guns & weed plus keep a stash of hush & bail money at the ready. Would be interesting to see Rev soiling himself to win down there. It's impossible to run a clean program AND win in Miami. It would be like bringing peace to the middle east.
Exactly what I was thinking...

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I would argue that point. Look at every other school in the nation. I have never in my life seen a coach do so little with so much. Any coach in the nation could have the talent level they have and win 10 games a year. His roster is full of 4 and 5 star players. There are no academic requirements for his athletes. There are no social or moral standards. Carry a gun on the way to buy drugs and your suspended for the first game of the season. Any coach that succeeds him will win 9-12 games as long as the recruiting process doesn't change much. The perks of playing football wont change when CMR leaves there so I don't see the recruiting being affected much.

We are in the extremely fun position as Tech fans to watch that particular hypothesis be put to the test.

Me? I think this is the U(sic)gA Skool of Abusinessmakin' patented management technique of 'have no idea whats going on here, replace parts at random and hope the Hawthorne effect gets you to a promotion before the whole thing collapses.'

Folks talk about raw talent and not strategy and competition for the same reason more people go into HR than engineering. And for what it's worth, I think Marky Mark there has a lot to do with those recruiting classes. I can't wait for the ball lickers to find out just how much.

For what it's worth, I personally think the guy at the top is almost never the brains of the operation. Especially at that school, you want a pretty face and excellent recruiter at HC. I think they'd get a lot more mileage out of trading up coordinators, especially on O. They lose a lot of close games because they run generic everybody does this stuff under the impression that doing that with the right people guarantees victory. Sometimes it does, but they live in a world where the best are full of teams that choose to play a game that makes your middle of the road strategy the least likely to win. Welcome to the top level.

Wait, actually, odds are pretty good that those people are going to be saying goodbye to the top level.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Other than he is a defensive coach, somebody tell me why. Seriously because I don't know.

Rumors that he's shown himself to not be close to HC material away from the field. Assuming I understood your question correctly.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Other than he is a defensive coach, somebody tell me why. Seriously because I don't know.
Been at Va Tech for what, 22 years? I don't get impression he was a candidate there, whether by his choice and/or theirs. Got a feeling this won't be a likely time he emerges as a hot HC candidate at a P5 school after not getting the job there.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Purely speculation on my part. But, I don't believe UGA's next hire will have HC experience. Everything logical says they could go out and steal someone's HC. What informs my gut is more political, though. I believe they'll hire an up-and-coming, big-name coordinator. The K Smart speculation would fit that, for instance.

Could be wrong on that, but time will tell. I kind of seeing this having Fulmer potential if they're not careful.

Last edited:

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Smart good buds with pruitt. He would probably keep pruitt
If Pruitt doesn't take a HC gig, wouldn't he be a favorite for Bama DC job? My dwag buddies say he isn't very popular inside the Butts Mehre building. Doesn't play the politician with some changes he's demanded.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Unless he believes muschump is better. and we know muschump is a boosters favorite over there.

smart and pruitt were roomates and wedding best men. Imo even if he thought muschamp was better and uga could match the 5.1 million auburn is paying muschamp, he would not let his best friend potentially go unemployed when he is coming to the school he is already at and pruitt is not an awful coach.

I really think the buddy system in coaching is way bigger than most people want to believe. Not football, but i am friends with a ex big east basketball coach and he would back this up bigtime. This guy is friends with chip kelly, scott frost,currently on espn as a color analyst and we talked about this topic in the past. How loyal coaches theor undoing is their loyalty to their friends and he admitted he was one of those......

Sewak anyone lol.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If Pruitt doesn't take HC gig, wouldn't he be a favorite for Bama DC job? My dwag buddies say he isn't very popular inside the Butts Mehre building. Doesn't play the politician with some changes he's demanded.

Who knows. I just know smart is his bud and they talked about coaching together. We will see

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My feeling is that everything will be ok as long as they hire anyone other than Tom Herman. Got a nasty feeling that if he is the guy we may be in for a long bunch of years.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually I could see him at Miami
Miami would be a bad place... Al Golden turned the program around off the field, but couldn't turn the corner on the field. The pressure to win at Miami is even greater than at UGA, and they've had a string of championships and near misses since UGA's last one, even though they've been irrelevant in recent years. They want to win down there. Even though Joe Robbie Stadium is mostly empty these days, Miami fans exist all up and down the east coast, they're loud and they make a strong presence at road games. Just don't think the 'climate' down in Miami these days would be a welcoming place for Coach Richt.

If he decides not to leave football, I'd love to see him here in South Carolina as the Gamecocks' coach. Their fans are generally more appreciative than UGA fans, who generally speaking, are unhappy when they win and even unhappier when they lose. A very difficult fan base to please.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
If they hire Herman or Mullen it will be bad. Go look at MSU's recruiting. Starkville is in the middle of nowhere and was a real bottom feeder when he got there. Herman seems to be the genius behind the OSU success and Mullen behind the UF success for Meyer. I just hope the hire Kirby Smart.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes people just want change, but this seems like a weird time to do it.
Florida with Mcelwain sent them over the edge, it seems.
Our series has been very lopsided while Richt was there, so I'm ready to see another regime. They could pull a Florida or Michigan, but odds say not. We shall see.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As a GT fan I hate to say it, but UGA is a sleeping giant. If they hire the right guy, UGA could be an Alabama/Ohio State type program. UGA recruits itself. I've always thought Richt and his staff went about it all wrong in recruiting. Instead of focusing on "headline" type recruits across the nation then backfilling with GA recruits when they struck out, they should have instead focused on getting the best GA recruits while trying to grab national recruits to complement them. If UGA really wanted guys like Cam Newton, DeShaun Watson...transcendent talents...they could have gotten them. Instead, they botched Cam Newton by trying tell him he's a TE, and didn't even look DeShaun Watson's way until his JR/SR year. How different does UGA look with Watson QB'ing them this year and last year? UGA has botched the recruiting of so many top tier GA recruits because they went for "headline" national level recruits that by the time they struck out, the in state talent had already committed elsewhere, or were insulted.

That said, there's a study ESPN recently that highlighted the gamble schools take when they fire a successful coach. More times then not, they end up doing worse. UGA is a one of the better coaching jobs in the college game, but they are not going to pull and established elite coach from another school. Jimbo Fisher ain't coming there...he's already getting paid like a top tier SEC coach, and it's much easier to win the national championship from the ACC (which he has) than to win it in the SEC which is a meat grinder. You think someone like Urban Meyer is going to UGA? Nope. They are either going to get a non-P5 head coach (Tom Herman, Justin Fuente, etc.) or a "hot" coordinator from a P5 school. There are no 100% guaranteee guys like Urban Meyer out there.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Richt is a successful coach no doubt about it, if you want to look at pure win / loss ratio then yes he is good enough. For Georgia the key is that he did not win the games that mattered in season or at an sec championship or national championship. Richt has had seasons with amazing talent but couldn't get anywhere. A 9-3 season isn't bad for most schools, but Georgia can do better.
CPJ could very well be in this same boat in the next year or two depending on what the school expects to get out of our football program.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
If they hire Herman or Mullen it will be bad. Go look at MSU's recruiting. Starkville is in the middle of nowhere and was a real bottom feeder when he got there. Herman seems to be the genius behind the OSU success and Mullen behind the UF success for Meyer. I just hope the[y] hire Kirby Smart.

^^^This, definitely, re Mullen or Herman. And if they got Kirby Smart as HC, just hope Smart wouldn't get someone on staff with a great mind for offense, e.g., Bob Stitt -- in the FCS playoffs with Montana right now, first year, after building his offensive guru rep for years at Colorado School of Mines. I'd be stunned if Smart or other guys down here in the south would be that bold, but one never knows for sure.