Richt's gone

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Mark Richt just hired Thomas Brown (now former uga RBs coach) to co-offensive coordinator and RBs coach. And there is a strong possibility the Brian McClendon will join him as well.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Agree. And I also don't get the "Richt is going to do well there." Right now, UGAg has a lot more built in advantages than Miami- bigger fanbase, better facilities. If Richt couldn't ever turn the corner there, I don't see him bringing back Miami to their former stature as a program.

Well, he tried to take that "criminal element" to UGA so maybe he's planning on bringing that "Thug U" mentality back to Miami...

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree. And I also don't get the "Richt is going to do well there." Right now, UGAg has a lot more built in advantages than Miami- bigger fanbase, better facilities. If Richt couldn't ever turn the corner there, I don't see him bringing back Miami to their former stature as a program.
Didn't turn the corner??? You sound just like those deluded Georgia fans. The Dwags impending return down to the Goff/Donnan days has begun and they'll SO rue the day they sent Richt packing.
Make no mistake, Richt was the best thing to happen to UGAg football since Herchel Walker and now he's about to make it happen in Miami. Not to mention he beat us, what 12 out of 15 years? Don't underestimate how much Miami's new coach sucks for Georgia Tech

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm not Enamored by Saint Richt. He's a good enough coach I guess not great by any means. The talent they had during his tenure should have produced 2 or more NC's hell at least a trip.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Sure would be nice to hear about some of our commits helping recruit Finley the way we heard with Adams, Johnson, Woods, and the rest of the gang who visited on 1/15 weekend. Up against Miami the kid's favorite team, and Clemson now after they almost won the freakin National Championship sure puts Tech at a disadvantage no matter how he was supposedly leaning all along. We need all the help we can get with this kid. Has the "cross-recruiting" tweeting thing been happening here or did Romeo make no friends during the OV?
I believe he was in on the 15th, but is the only one in that group who has not yet committed to us.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not Enamored by Saint Richt. He's a good enough coach I guess not great by any means. The talent they had during his tenure should have produced 2 or more NC's hell at least a trip.
And another deluded Georgia fan? We're supposed to laugh at them here, not think like them. Richt was and is definitely a great coach. Who do you think was responsible for bringing in all that talent? Ironically Richt's recruiting success is what led to the laughable dwag fans inflated expectations. Let's not let ourselves fall into that trap of assuming great recruiting classes automatically should result in Nat'l Championships like those idiots in Athens

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
And another deluded Georgia fan? We're supposed to laugh at them here, not think like them. Richt was and is definitely a great coach. Who do you think was responsible for bringing in all that talent? Ironically Richt's recruiting success is what led to the laughable dwag fans inflated expectations. Let's not let ourselves fall into that trap of assuming great recruiting classes automatically should result in Nat'l Championships like those idiots in Athens
RP, no need to go off on people and call them Dwag fans just because they have a different opinion from yours. I'm not saying Richt is a bad coach. I'm saying he will not have as many advantages at Miami as he had at UGAg, and based on that, I think he'll run a 7-9 win program there. Not bad, but not "bringin back Da U". Think Steve Spurrier was a mediocre coach? Take him away from Florida and put him in South Carolina, and the results were only moderately successful. And no, I don't think UGAg fans are delusional for losing their patience while all around them the last 30 years Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, FSU and even us won NCs when UGAg has had every bit the talent and program advantages to have run off a couple of titles themselves.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Well, we'll see. Richt averaged top 10 recruiting classes without top 10 results. Yes, he beat us most years, but when you consider our recruiting classes were averaged in the 40's or 50's, you'd expect the games wouldn't be as close as they were. I predict that georgie will still bring in top 10 classes and that d'oh U will improve only marginally, if at all. We'll see.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

Oh, Richt turned the corner at Georgia all right. Usually right smack into Florida or Alabama and on occasion South Carolina. Twice to ... well ... you know.

I think Richt is a good coach. But he's being hailed as a great coach and over the last 10 years, the evidence doesn't add up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh, Richt turned the corner at Georgia all right. Usually right smack into Florida or Alabama and on occasion South Carolina. Twice to ... well ... you know.

I think Richt is a good coach. But he's being hailed as a great coach and over the last 10 years, the evidence doesn't add up.

I think Richt was very good coach. He was just unfortunate he coached against some of the best coaches in the history of CFB in the SEC: Saban, Meyer, Spurrier.

Won't have that issue at Miami in the ACC. Not saying Richt is going to make Miami a national power again, just saying he's more than capable of at least continuing to win 9-11 games a year and having Miami ranked in the top 10-20 every year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Didn't turn the corner??? You sound just like those deluded Georgia fans. The Dwags impending return down to the Goff/Donnan days has begun and they'll SO rue the day they sent Richt packing.
Make no mistake, Richt was the best thing to happen to UGAg football since Herchel Walker and now he's about to make it happen in Miami. Not to mention he beat us, what 12 out of 15 years? Don't underestimate how much Miami's new coach sucks for Georgia Tech

I have said before, and I'll reiterate it now. Richt didn't do anything special at uga. He inherited a school that annually recruits in the top 10, regardless of the coach in charge, has a 90, 000 seat on campus stadium, one of the largest fan bases in college sports, and ADs willing to spend lots of money to make the program viable. With every single advantage, CMR was able to do absolutely nothing special during his tenure at uga. If he couldn't do it there, what makes you so positive that he will do it in Miami, where they don't have any of those built in advantages. Our record against uga probably wouldn't have changed much regardless of coaching. We have lost a lot of close games to teams with more talent on the field. That we haven't been blown out more is a testament to the coaching we have had on our sidelines, not to the guy on the other side. So maybe Miami beats us more often than not. They have been doing that lately without CMR there. What will have changed? I think that CMRs legacy will be tarnished when he is done at Miami, because I don't think that UM fans are gonna be any happier with him in 5 years than uga fans were last year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If he was coaching Wake would he have beaten us 12 out of 15? Don't try to feed me this bs that their record is all due to him. I'm not a star guy by any means, but even I realize teams that rank top 10 perennially in recruiting have talent out the wazoo. You almost have to try to lose games.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh I get it. Now that Richt is head coach in our own division, y'all want to diminish his accomplishments to feel better about our chances. I can respect that position. That's why you're adopting these ridiculous tired arguments that those ingrate Georgia fans always made over the years during the winningest period in their school history. You realize he *averaged* 10-3 over 15 seasons! But oh yeah Richt was just magically granted top 10 recruiting classes at UGA thru no effort on his part, so anything less than 11-2s and a handful of "Natty's" was mediocre.

You're right. No threat to our future Coastal division dominance here.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

His AVERAGE record over his 15 year career is 10-3 (rounding to the nearest even number). More than half of those seasons (8 times) he finished in the top 10 of at least one major poll, if not both. One of the only arguments that he wasn't elite is that he played in only 3 BCS games over that same period, although he also played in 3 Capital One bowls, 2 Outbacks, 1 Music City, two Gators and a Peach. Just as impressive is 83 seccg conference wins during that team and 6 trips to the seccg. The other big argument that he's not an elite coach is he won only 2 sec championships over that time period.

But since he started in 2001 the only other coaches to win were Nick Saban (6 total: 2 at LSU, 4 at Alabama), Urban Meyer (2, same as Richt), Les Miles (2, same as Richt), Tommy Tuberville (1), Gene Chizik (1), and Gus Malzahn (1). As far as I know, the only coaches with more SEC championships than Richt are Pat Dye, Johnny Majors, Frank Thomas, Dooley, Vaught, Spurrier, Saban, Neyland, and Bryant. So he's tied with a bunch of others for 10th best in SEC champs.

Just for reference (I may get flamed for this). Bobby Dodd won 2 SEC championships in 19 years in the SEC. Richt won 2 in 15 years. Dodd's win percentage overall was 70%; Richt's was 74%. Sure, Dodd won a national championship and won more major bowls. But the differences aren't large and both to me are great coaches (Dodd to me is better, just for clarity).