Richt's gone

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have said before, and I'll reiterate it now. Richt didn't do anything special at uga. He inherited a school that annually recruits in the top 10, regardless of the coach in charge, has a 90, 000 seat on campus stadium, one of the largest fan bases in college sports, and ADs willing to spend lots of money to make the program viable. With every single advantage, CMR was able to do absolutely nothing special during his tenure at uga. If he couldn't do it there, what makes you so positive that he will do it in Miami, where they don't have any of those built in advantages. Our record against uga probably wouldn't have changed much regardless of coaching. We have lost a lot of close games to teams with more talent on the field. That we haven't been blown out more is a testament to the coaching we have had on our sidelines, not to the guy on the other side. So maybe Miami beats us more often than not. They have been doing that lately without CMR there. What will have changed? I think that CMRs legacy will be tarnished when he is done at Miami, because I don't think that UM fans are gonna be any happier with him in 5 years than uga fans were last year.

Sorry but this post is just uninformed. Richt's overall win percentage is 74.5% - highest in school history. Fractions of a percent higher than Stegeman (who coached only 29 games). Three percent higher than Dooley. Those are the only 3 in the 70s. Richt's conference win percentage is only fractions of a point less than Dooley's. If you think it is that easy to do that at uga, compare what he did to Goff and Donnan (two coaches immediately post-Dooley and pre-Richt) or Butts and Griffitch (two coaches immediately pre-Dooley).

You see tons of places with all the advantages you state who haven't performed well in recent years (Texas, Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame - pre Kelly, etc.). It's not as easy to win as you think - especially in the SEC where just about every school has a 90k seat on-campus stadium, one of the largest fan bases in college sports, and ADs willing to spend lots of money to make the program viable.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If he was coaching Wake would he have beaten us 12 out of 15? Don't try to feed me this bs that their record is all due to him. I'm not a star guy by any means, but even I realize teams that rank top 10 perennially in recruiting have talent out the wazoo. You almost have to try to lose games.

Nobody is claiming he's Jesus. How closely comparable is Miami to Wake? Something tells me he can do a lot more at Miami (65k stadium, all time win % of 63, 9 conference titles, 5 national championships, than Wake (31.5k stadium, all time win% of 41, 2 conference titles, - national championships). Compare his record to Donnan and Goff and let me know your results.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, he tried to take that "criminal element" to UGA so maybe he's planning on bringing that "Thug U" mentality back to Miami...
I don't think it ever left.

I think he's going to face a choice: bring Thug U back their way, or try to do things his way. If
he chooses option 1 I feel badly for him. If he chooses option 2, they'll be frustrated with him and want him gone in wayyy less than 5 years.

I think he made a poor decision but what do I know, zip.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I moved down here to go to Tech in the early 90's. So for the first decade of my awareness Georgia fans always had a misplaced mindset like they were this elite level team, but typically only managed to go 7-5. The whole time I'm like where do these dwag fans get these crazy delusions of grandeur??
Then Richt came along and actually gave the program something to crow about.

So to sit there and say Georgie has all these advantages and bequeathed top 10 recruiting classes and 10+ win seasons, and then pretend Richt had nothing to do with it?? I'm sorry but that's as ignorant & deluded as a typical Dwag fan.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sorry but this post is just uninformed. Richt's overall win percentage is 74.5% - highest in school history. Fractions of a percent higher than Stegeman (who coached only 29 games). Three percent higher than Dooley. Those are the only 3 in the 70s. Richt's conference win percentage is only fractions of a point less than Dooley's. If you think it is that easy to do that at uga, compare what he did to Goff and Donnan (two coaches immediately post-Dooley and pre-Richt) or Butts and Griffitch (two coaches immediately pre-Dooley).

You see tons of places with all the advantages you state who haven't performed well in recent years (Texas, Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame - pre Kelly, etc.). It's not as easy to win as you think - especially in the SEC where just about every school has a 90k seat on-campus stadium, one of the largest fan bases in college sports, and ADs willing to spend lots of money to make the program viable.

In general, CMR had 2-3 OoC cupcake games every year. In the SEC East, he had UK and Vandy every year. With the exception of a 3-4 year span under Spurrier, SC was pretty much a guaranteed win. For the last 7 years his teams have faced a Tennessee team that's been pedestrian at best. Florida has also had marked struggles recently. Heck, Mizzou, perennial middle of the pack Big XII team came in and won the SEC East two of it's first three years in the SEC.

So, is CMR a good coach? Yes. He won 10 games a year at uga. Is he a great coach? I don't think so, and I think his tenure at Miami will prove it. Miami as a university does not have the money or the facilities that uga has. It recruits well, but now nearly as well as uga. It also historically plays a much tougher OoC schedule than uga does. I think CMR, who is a good coach, can win 9-10 games at Miami. I think he can compete for the occasional ACC title there. But again, Miami fans are even more delusional than uga fans. If CMR doesn't win big there relatively soon, he'll be out on his ear just like the rest of the Miami coaches who haven't succeeded quick enough.
You can call me uninformed all you like, but comparing Richt to Donnan/Goff is apples to oranges. Donnan & Goff were historically bad coaches. I mean, I bet a Ford Taurus feels like a Mercedes if you've been recently driving a Festiva.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I moved down here to go to Tech in the early 90's. So for the first decade of my awareness Georgia fans always had a misplaced mindset like they were this elite level team, but typically only managed to go 7-5. The whole time I'm like where do these dwag fans get these crazy delusions of grandeur??
Then Richt came along and actually gave the program something to crow about.

So to sit there and say Georgie has all these advantages and bequeathed top 10 recruiting classes and 10+ win seasons, and then pretend Richt had nothing to do with it?? I'm sorry but that's as ignorant & deluded as a typical Dwag fan.

uga was recruiting well before Richt ever got there. The same way Michigan and Texas have continued to recruit well with bad coaching in place. Some schools recruit themselves.

Also, in regards to records, ugas schedule has gotten markedly softer over the years. They generally played tougher teams when the SEC was round robin. They no longer play Bama and LSU yearly, and an extra game has been added to the schedule since the SEC expanded. (Usually an OoC cupcake)

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
uga was recruiting well before Richt ever got there. The same way Michigan and Texas have continued to recruit well with bad coaching in place. Some schools recruit themselves.

Also, in regards to records, ugas schedule has gotten markedly softer over the years. They generally played tougher teams when the SEC was round robin. They no longer play Bama and LSU yearly, and an extra game has been added to the schedule since the SEC expanded. (Usually an OoC cupcake)
LSU was down in the 90's as was Alabama from '97 thru '06 but I see what you're trying to say.

Either way he lifted the level of the program and threatens to do the same in Miami. Hoping you're right about the differences and limitations though.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In general, CMR had 2-3 OoC cupcake games every year. In the SEC East, he had UK and Vandy every year. With the exception of a 3-4 year span under Spurrier, SC was pretty much a guaranteed win. For the last 7 years his teams have faced a Tennessee team that's been pedestrian at best. Florida has also had marked struggles recently. Heck, Mizzou, perennial middle of the pack Big XII team came in and won the SEC East two of it's first three years in the SEC.

So, is CMR a good coach? Yes. He won 10 games a year at uga. Is he a great coach? I don't think so, and I think his tenure at Miami will prove it. Miami as a university does not have the money or the facilities that uga has. It recruits well, but now nearly as well as uga. It also historically plays a much tougher OoC schedule than uga does. I think CMR, who is a good coach, can win 9-10 games at Miami. I think he can compete for the occasional ACC title there. But again, Miami fans are even more delusional than uga fans. If CMR doesn't win big there relatively soon, he'll be out on his ear just like the rest of the Miami coaches who haven't succeeded quick enough.
You can call me uninformed all you like, but comparing Richt to Donnan/Goff is apples to oranges. Donnan & Goff were historically bad coaches. I mean, I bet a Ford Taurus feels like a Mercedes if you've been recently driving a Festiva.

Comparing coaches at the same school is comparing apples to oranges? You can't get a better comparison. Of all coaches who were there more than 2-3 seasons, Donnan is behind only Richt, Dooley, and Cunningham in terms of win percentage. Goff was historically bad. But that's the point, you can easily make an argument that Goff was bad. Donnan was good. Richt was great.

Most importantly - your own argument undoes itself. So SC, UT, and UF all struggled during Richt's tenure? Why is that? Oh yeah, because they didn't have as good of a coach as Richt.

If you want to define a "good" coach as someone who averages a 10-3 season in the SEC, goes to a BCS game once every 5 years, is top 10 every other year, and plays in the conference championship at least a third of the time, then I think we are just arguing semantics.

Also re Mizzou - kinda hard to ignore what Pinkel did from 2007 to 2011. 48-19 with three division titles. 24-14 in conference. Hard to say that is middle in the pack (that would be Pinkel's first 5 years, from 2001-2005).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Comparing coaches at the same school is comparing apples to oranges? You can't get a better comparison. Of all coaches who were there more than 2-3 seasons, Donnan is behind only Richt, Dooley, and Cunningham in terms of win percentage. Goff was historically bad. But that's the point, you can easily make an argument that Goff was bad. Donnan was good. Richt was great.

Most importantly - your own argument undoes itself. So SC, UT, and UF all struggled during Richt's tenure? Why is that? Oh yeah, because they didn't have as good of a coach as Richt.

If you want to define a "good" coach as someone who averages a 10-3 season in the SEC, goes to a BCS game once every 5 years, is top 10 every other year, and plays in the conference championship at least a third of the time, then I think we are just arguing semantics.

Also re Mizzou - kinda hard to ignore what Pinkel did from 2007 to 2011. 48-19 with three division titles. 24-14 in conference. Hard to say that is middle in the pack (that would be Pinkel's first 5 years, from 2001-2005).

Mizzou hasn't won a conference championship since the 60's. Pinkel won some games in the Big XII with horrible OoC SoS. Playing Kansas and Iowa St each year is like having two cupcakes for free.

SCs problem was never coaching, it was lack of talent. Same as UK and Vandy. Tennessee and UF had bad hires. Again, Richt is a good coach. He's not a great coach. If he achieves the exact same success level at Miami that he did at uga he'll be fired in 5-6 years.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Which to me keeps him from being elite. I don't think it keeps him from being considered a great coach.

Well, this is certainly not worth trying to parse words with a lawyer. I guess some call Dabo a great coach because of his coordinator hires and recruiting. Great coach means something different to different folk.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well, this is certainly not worth trying to parse words with a lawyer. I guess some call Dabo a great coach because of his coordinator hires and recruiting. Great coach means something different to different folk.

I think this is a fair statement. I have always said CMR is a good coach. I just don't think he's a great one.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

UGA plays two teams annually with even comparable talent - Florida and Auburn. The balance of the SEC cannot recruit at their level, and it's not really all that close. Furthermore, you're conflating competence with excellence. That Texas, Michigan, and Florida have not been competitive at the highest levels merely suggests that their coaches were awful, not that Richt is terrific. He was given a Maserati and told not to eff it up. By and large, he didn't. He also didn't take the Maserati and make the dude with the Honda next to him look second rate, either. He stayed in his lane, and only occasionally did he go marginally over the speed limit. Nice coach. Not excellent.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Florida struggled? They won two national titles, went to five BCS games, and beat up on UGA ten out of fifteen years during Richt's time at UGA. You can sign me up for that kind of struggling all day long.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Florida struggled? They won two national titles, went to five BCS games, and beat up on UGA ten out of fifteen years during Richt's time at UGA. You can sign me up for that kind of struggling all day long.

From 2010-14, Florida went 37-26. 5 losses a year on average is struggling when you are a powerhouse like Florida. And for the record, in regards to suffering, you don't have to sign up. Our record during that span was 39-28 with 2 ACCCG appearances and a BCS bowl win. Florida only had one SECCG appearance and a BCS bowl loss.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
From 2010-14, Florida went 37-26. 5 losses a year on average is struggling when you are a powerhouse like Florida. And for the record, in regards to suffering, you don't have to sign up. Our record during that span was 39-28 with 2 ACCCG appearances and a BCS bowl win. Florida only had one SECCG appearance and a BCS bowl loss.
No, I know. I was being facetious. I think my larger issue is that he said Florida didn't have a better coach than Richt, which is crazy. Florida had Spurrier, Zook, Meyer, Muschamp, and McElwain during Richt's time at UGA. The only coach against whom he was clearly better was Muschamp. And if Muschamp is the basis of the argument, I'd suggest reevaluating.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
The consensus was the jury's still out on McElwain... Spurrier & Meyer better than Richt...Muschamp worse.
All agreed Zook was worse than Richt, but he banged more college chicks.

Last edited:

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Yup, that's why I added this: "If you want to define a "good" coach as someone who averages a 10-3 season in the SEC, goes to a BCS game once every 5 years, is top 10 every other year, and plays in the conference championship at least a third of the time, then I think we are just arguing semantics."

You see a lot of coaches at a lot of schools that *should* win 10 games a year. There aren't that many coaches that actually do that over a 15 year span. That's to me what makes him great.