Revelations after 3 weeks

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just maybe CGC can get us enough top notch players by 2022 so that a good game day coach can come in and win with his players in 2023.
I would prefer that Coach Collins and his staff work to improve every day with their players to get better. Even Bear Bryant took a couple of years to get Alabama back to what it was under Wallace Wade. Dodd had to recruit better also. There was a story I read in his biography that one spring practice, Woody Hayes as a young coach came to Rose Bowl Field to watch Tech practice. He watches for a few minutes and then turns to Dodd: "Coach, how are you going to win football games with these boys? These are the littlest boys I have ever seen on a college field." Dodd simply shrugged, "They are all I got Woody". He knew then that he had to do better than Alexander had done in recruiting linemen.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am not encouraged with the next recruiting class. Not one Top 30 ranked player from our own state. Hopefully that changes or we can get some more talent to transfer in. Have to be able to steal some of these guys that our border schools keep getting.

That particular problem predates Coach Collins by many years. The entire time Phil Fulmer was at Tennessee, he made a living stealing a half a dozen of the best players in metro Atlanta every year. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree with balanced attack, as it's needed for what we are trying to do. I agree with running back game being good.

I worry the play calling has been too much for a young guy.

But specifically qb coaching is what I was asking. And I know sims is a true freshman, so you will see mistakes, but you would assume good coaching would help reduce this...

Well, we are moving the ball on the ground and in the air. 400 plus yards the last two games is pretty good compared to last year and as Ballin is wont to point out it is pretty balanced as well. Unfortunately, it comes with turnovers, penalties, and what may be the worst kicking game in college football. Just very frustrating.

We hardly moved the ball last year and did not score. I meant that we are churning out the total yardage this year with little to show for it. It seems to me that last year was more of a long parade of three and outs.

And as I will keep saying, yards mean nothing. We have been shut down in the second half in our last two games. 7 points and 7 point. Yesterday in the fourth quarter we put up a whopping 21 yards of offense. The defense is wearing out because our O cannot keep the football and move it in the second half of games. And folks, with the schedule coming up it is only going to get harder.

Our problem is offense, we look a little better on paper but the score remains the same. 18 points per game.

LibertyTurns

Banned
LOL...no it is guys like me and the people I tailgate with that bankroll the program. And add in a bunch of real estate developers. Can you tell me how much Calvin Johnson donates to GTAA?
Here’s our $1M donors to athletics. There’s Texeira, Kuchar and I don’t recognize anyone else as being athletes. I always thought Kim King and Dewberry were major donors. Surprised they’re not on this list.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And as I will keep saying, yards mean nothing. We have been shut down in the second half in our last two games. 7 points and 7 point. Yesterday in the fourth quarter we put up a whopping 21 yards of offense. The defense is wearing out because our O cannot keep the football and move it in the second half of games. And folks, with the schedule coming up it is only going to get harder.

Our problem is offense, we look a little better on paper but the score remains the same. 18 points per game.
18 points per game would be pretty good...back 50 years ago but today it will get you beat by teams like Syracuse.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, two consolation points:
1. It’s a free year eligibility wise.
2. In the record books (and media) this year will always have an asterisk and be considered an anomaly.

slugboy

Staff member

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Penalties are about discipline. Right now, we are going in the wrong direction.

You never want to pull a true freshmen QB too soon because that could set him back mentally, but Jeff Sims may need to sit and watch the game develop from the sideline. There's a delicate balance between nurturing a young QB, and that young QB making too many mistakes the team can't overcome. We also know Yates is the #2, so there goes the narrative about Gleason. It's worrying that he's turning the ball over more each game. That needs to be addressed.

Our RBs are the obvious strength of this team. There's not much of a falloff with any of them in there...and the staff may need to get Smith more carries. The fact that Smith is playing as well as he is and he's our 3rd/4th RB tells you how deep we are. That tells me we need to use our RBs more, not just to utilize all that talent, but to also help our young QB.

Patenaude's read option schemes should be way better than what we've seen. There's just too much talent at QB and RB for us too not get better returns on our read option game.

Our OL isn't perfect, and they don't have the most talent, but man they play really hard. We need to appreciate the effort they're putting in. Watch them play...they play to the whistle and you don't catch any of them just standing around even after the play is past them.

Been saying it for years, but Tariq Carpenter needs to move to LB. We need his speed at LB, and he already has the size to play there. Our LBs are such a liability for us right now.

Our DEs are going to be GOOD as they get more experience. Right now they are just a step away from making big plays because we are mainly young there, but you can see something is happening there.

REALLY disappointed in how far we've taken a step back after 3 games.rea
Best GTSwarm analysis yet on where the team is. Nicely done Techster! Especially agree on your points about penalties/discipline; really agree on running backs! - thought so last year and with Gibbs really think so this year, need better read option production; love that you called out the OL - they are giving 110% and Keys is coaching them up (Key and Choice are my two favorite coaches that are getting the job done - hope we can keep them); if TC can upgrade our LB play, we need to do that - we have a little bit of depth in the secondary. Definitely was hoping we could see continuing improvement instead of going backwards. Thanks again Techster for your post.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with balanced attack, as it's needed for what we are trying to do. I agree with running back game being good.

I worry the play calling has been too much for a young guy.

Now this is a good question. One could say Sims should be average no more that 25 attempts but an argument could be made get him fully running the offense as quickly as possible and get the growing pains out the way.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here’s our $1M donors to athletics. There’s Texeira, Kuchar and I don’t recognize anyone else as being athletes. I always thought Kim King and Dewberry were major donors. Surprised they’re not on this list.

I wouldn't read too much about who is or isn't on that list. A LOT of donors give money to our program with the express wish that they remain anonymous.