Revelations after 3 weeks

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
And, the problem is, that at the same time our coaches are doing yeoman's work trying to change the landscape of our recruiting, the kids are still watching the games and the results. It does have an impact on recruiting - so, even though CGC is a top notch recruiter, this is going to be very, very hard if the results on the field look much like yesterday the rest of this year. I am the first to admit that CPJ did not leave him a lot to work with going to this new offense, but this team is CGC's now, and unfortunately for him, short term results, whether fair or not, do matter to 4 star and 5 star guys - like most of us, they like a "sure thing" most of the time - of course, the most important thing to them is getting to the League healthy, as most of them believe their talent will get them there.
[/
If many of the people on this board had the opportunity to call plays, the offense would consist of:
Zone runs to the wide side of the field
50 yard pass attempts
And of course, the “score a touchdown play”
That’s about it

Rocket Toss was my favorite in past regime

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We forget how inexperienced our coaching staff is. We’ve given them 7 years for a reason. This OJT is going to be rough.
Well, okay. But the head ball coach did the hiring and at the time as I recall those hires got great reviews. No first time FCS coach should ever get seven years out of the blocks.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Well since you started it, stats can be killers. We are 56 out of 72 in PPG. Army is 40 out of 72. Yards do not win games.

Did you miss this part of his post?

“It amazes me that people can't see how the gimmick offense damaged our recruiting on both sides of the ball. They don't understand that poor recruiting and player retention from 2016-2018 is impacting the product Collins is able to put on the field.”

That probably has something to do with the production of our offense. Imagine if Collins walked into a situation with guys like Sims/Gibbs/Brown/Griffin/Williams as Junioror seniors instead of a bunch of guys recruited for the TO.

Our best players on the offensive side of the ball are all guys Collins brought in. They are either transfers (Johnson/Ezzard) or true freshman or sophomores.

What do you expect our offense to look like? It’s going to take time.

I’m sure Collins would have loved to walk into a team with 3 future NFL olineman, an nfl back, an elite nfl wr and two god options at qb (Nesbitt and the guy that transferred time Michigan I believe).

That didn’t happen. He’s brought in a bunch high end talent via recruiting or transfers in the past two years. It will happen, it’s just going to take some time. We are young.If you can’t see the progress and picture what the future is going to look like, you aren’t looking.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We get consistently beat deep. I realize part of that is putting pressure on the receivers to reduce the 7 and 8 yard easy completions we experienced in the past. But at some point, we may need to zone more to try to reduce the big plays against our defense.
We aren't getting a good push toward the QB to not allow him to step into the long throws or to make him hurry it. Sims has had passes blocked or his arm hit by guys getting to him up the middle.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Improvement in what ?
We’ve had 1 decent game and 2 poor games. In those we’ve seen an offense that knows what play it’s supposed to be running. We learned how to run block again and have shown signs of being able to pass block. We catch passes.

There’s 3. We’re also more disciplined. The dancing on the sidelines has stopped and we’re looking less like da U every day.

I’m sure we’re not done improving. If we’re sitting here in year 4 and sill look like clueless George on the sidelines, well, you’ll be right and I’ll be wrong.

Until then I’m going to continue to look for signs of progress.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The non-tackle on the first TD was a fluke. 99 of 100 times the kid is taken down and doesn't land on top of Juanyeh, keeping his feet under him. 1 inch and his knee hits. 1 inch and his elbow hits. Juanyeh didn't "miss" the tackle.

gimmee a break--the guy scored,JT is the only one near him,he missed the tackle--if he didn't,why did they give them 6 pts?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The big question which is completely unknown at this point is can we get to the point through recruiting and coaching where all 3 phases of the game...offense, defense, special teams...can be consistently good and allow us to compete with the best teams on our schedule (the past few years with PJ we were good to great on offense, average on special teams and weak on defense in my opinion). And 2021 will be no simpler than our original schedule for 2020. We are at Notre Dame, Clemson and Miami (on the road to Miami for 3 straight years), have Georgia and North Carolina at home. That is 5 really tough games with teams that all have a very good chance to be ranked this year. By the way, the 3rd out of conference team is Kennesaw St. which obviously has a huge incentive to beat us, runs the 3O and is a far better team than the Citadel.

I think our offense with experience will get better. Defense needs recruiting to help with both DL...particularly defensive tackles.. and linebackers (yes I know the secondary has struggled this year but I think that is where we have the most talent on defense) and to significantly reduce the number of explosion plays. Special teams have been talked about a lot but we have really been poor in Field Goals the last 2 years. So if we can recruit and coach, can we get to the top tier? If we can't, then having a unique offense like the 3O is what gave us the best chance to get 6-8 wins per year consistently (but definitely had a ceiling). I think for those ready to throw in the towel, you need to give this another couple of years (based on getting more upper classmen playing significant minutes).

So for this year, we are clear underdogs to Notre Dame, Clemson and Miami. So realistically that puts us at 5 losses. With the remaining opponents (Louisville, Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh, and NC State) 2 to 3 wins translates to 3 or 4 overall victories. I think that is honestly where we end up.

The big question which is completely unknown at this point is can we get to the point through recruiting and coaching where all 3 phases of the game...offense, defense, special teams...can be consistently good and allow us to compete with the best teams on our schedule (the past few years with PJ we were good to great on offense, average on special teams and weak on defense in my opinion). And 2021 will be no simpler than our original schedule for 2020. We are at Notre Dame, Clemson and Miami (on the road to Miami for 3 straight years), have Georgia and North Carolina at home. That is 5 really tough games with teams that all have a very good chance to be ranked this year. By the way, the 3rd out of conference team is Kennesaw St. which obviously has a huge incentive to beat us, runs the 3O and is a far better team than the Citadel.

I think our offense with experience will get better. Defense needs recruiting to help with both DL...particularly defensive tackles.. and linebackers (yes I know the secondary has struggled this year but I think that is where we have the most talent on defense) and to significantly reduce the number of explosion plays. Special teams have been talked about a lot but we have really been poor in Field Goals the last 2 years. So if we can recruit and coach, can we get to the top tier? If we can't, then having a unique offense like the 3O is what gave us the best chance to get 6-8 wins per year consistently (but definitely had a ceiling). I think for those ready to throw in the towel, you need to give this another couple of years (based on getting more upper classmen playing significant minutes).

So for this year, we are clear underdogs to Notre Dame, Clemson and Miami. So realistically that puts us at 5 losses. With the remaining opponents (Louisville, Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh, and NC State) 2 to 3 wins translates to 3 or 4 overall victories. I think that is honestly where we end up.

Soooo in my 51 years of Tech Football I can only think of two years we were at that point or darn close.
1990 we had a very good defense, an extremely good offense, kicking, punting and return games were strong. Now all that being said and it was a special year. Clemson and UVA were the only teams we played that were as strong. UGA was terrible etc.

The other year was 1998. Strong offense, and good defense that was very opportunistic, I think we had 7 touchdowns on defense. Special teams were good. We lost an early game to BC....inexplicably and of course we were not in Florida St. league at that point.

Other than that we have had years with great offense, 1978, 1985, 1989, 1999, 2000, 2009, 2011, 2014 and just didn't have the defense or other teams were just too strong. 2014 may have been the closest.

As I have said many times we will always struggle in 2 points and always have. Defense, primarily D line man, and depth. Georgia Tech Academics are what they are.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'll put this here, because Coco has been "revelation" from where he came from. Really awesome story:

Walk on longsnapper to P5 tight end is a great story. That's not an easy thing to do.

Stories like Coco's, Djimon Brooks, and William Lay's are why I absolutely love college football more than NFL.