Revelations after 3 weeks

Such as...?
Choice of plays called on offense. When we don't have a true POWER RB, other than perhaps Mason, who is out, why continue to try to run up the middle in key yardage situations, when a sweep or pitch, or even a short pass would probably get some yards, even if not enough. What I saw yesterday were many attempts to run up the middle and not even get a yard. If you can't see the pattern, which incidentally began last year, then you're not watching the games very closely.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Choice of plays called on offense. When we don't have a true POWER RB, other than perhaps Mason, who is out, why continue to try to run up the middle in key yardage situations, when a sweep or pitch, or even a short pass would probably get some yards, even if not enough. What I saw yesterday were many attempts to run up the middle and not even get a yard.

Exactly what I said during the game. He also never had a planned rollout for Sims - I believe this would have taken some pressure off of Jeff - his best throw of the game was on the unplanned rollout to the right. When your O line is not dominating, misdirections, pitches with seal blocks, etc. are critical for your running game. I don't expect a "perfectly" called game - that is impossible. But, I do expect our OC to be able to figure out how to outsmart the DC more often than not - and of course, in the red zone is where the rubber meets the road. Keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result is insanity.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Choice of plays called on offense. When we don't have a true POWER RB, other than perhaps Mason, who is out, why continue to try to run up the middle in key yardage situations, when a sweep or pitch, or even a short pass would probably get some yards, even if not enough. What I saw yesterday were many attempts to run up the middle and not even get a yard. If you can't see the pattern, which incidentally began last year, then you're not watching the games very closely.

Back to back runs up the middle:

JP Mason not involved. Most runs up the middle are for minimal gains, just like CPJ's BB runs were. There's a schematic reason OCs call runs up the middle and part of that has to do with make sure the front seven honors their gap integrity so you can work other parts of the field and to help with play action pass.

Back to back runs up the middle:

JP Mason not involved. Most runs up the middle are for minimal gains, just like CPJ's BB runs were. There's a schematic reason OCs call runs up the middle and part of that has to do with make sure the front seven honors their gap integrity so you can work other parts of the field and to help with play action pass.

There is always a "method in the madness", so to speak, but when we are otherwise moving the field down the field, and have several options for continuing to do so, why all of a sudden go for "minimal gains"? That's the pattern that was begun last year, and it continued ad nauseum yesterday.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There is always a "method in the madness", so to speak, but when we are otherwise moving the field down the field, and have several options for continuing to do so, why all of a sudden go for "minimal gains"? That's the pattern that was begun last year, and it continued ad nauseum yesterday.

Man, that scenario has been played out since I can remember being a football fan.

I remember being in the stands for a Clemson game (the game where our punter threw a TD to BayBay) and one of our fans was screaming at CPJ for calling so many minimal gain BB dives. One of the funniest fan comments I've ever heard came from that game. After about the millionth BB dive, a GT fan who was obviously not a CPJ fan got up and yelled "BayBay needs to call a timeout out and transfer!!" I mean, dude was an idiot, but that was pretty funny.

Anyhow, Chan Gailey got the same abuse about calling so many runs up the middle as well. When it works, it's a great call. When it doesn't work, the OC is a schmuck.

So on a cool fall Colorado morning I read this thread and:
1. I am tired of reading and hearing that we are undergoing the greatest transition ever. How many of you ran the veer or the wishbone? Point being is CPJ also came in and transitioned an offense that had not ever run his. Nesbitt, the wildcat QB had to learn to read option keys. A backs hade to learn pitches and blocking.

2. As I continue to say this is an experiment to prove what many want to believe that we can recruit with the big boys and win on talent. We have no special scheme on offense or defense. No taking advantage of numbers or crashing with 6 blitzers.

3. The staff is young and CGC is only at his second gig. I think this is his 4th year as a head coach. CPJ had been a head coach for 10 years with two national titles. Give it time.

4. I knew this year would be tough because our schedule is tough. I did think we could beat the Cuse and yesterday was a bit disconcerting. But again this year we are really hurting with injuries

5. Which is curious as to why so many injuries over the past two years. The players seem to be in better shape. One theory, now that we average 15 possessions a game and our opposition likewise, our guys have to play more snaps. Just a theory.

Well we have a bye week, which I am not sure is good going into it after two bad losses but it may give us time to get some guys back. I think that next year is going to be the real grading year, meaning if we do not get to a bowl, 6 wins, then questions will need to be answered.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not worried at all about the offense. Everything I wanted to see in year 2 I’ve seen.
1- Improved OLine play - check
2- intermediate passing game - check
3- RB’s used in passing game to exploit mismatches - check
4- WR’s other than Brown actually catching the ball like every other team does - check
5- Explosive QB who can both throw and run beyond the chunk and hope of the previous decade- check.

My concern has been the defense who has issues tackling and covering anyone. But I get that’s it’s year 2 so you gotta use the players you have. Like GT teams of the past I expect the light to come on in the near future as our talent level increases on defense and our QB’s gain experience. When it does we’ll be a tough out.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I can’t speak for the OP, but they may be referencing how often CGC calls the opposing team or opposing position groups “elite”. I’m trying to stay out of these CGC bashing convos, but he does seem to do that a lot. Throw around the word “elite” to describe of our opponents.
I think he means they are elite relative to us.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I blew smoke up my own *** before season believing we might win 6 games(old schedule) when I was originally saying this was a 3 year rebuild and we are in year 2. Think I need to get back to my original thoughts, 3 years.
Someone at GT that knows a lot about it told me we needed two recruiting classes to have a competitive team, i believe that was probably a good statement. Think we could win some games in back half of this season, but to be competitive with our entire schedule is probably in CGC's 4th season with possibly signs of it beginning in last half of year 3 IMO.
Think I go back to what I started with when CGC arrived and that was to enjoy recruiting by this staff for the first few years in anticipation of future success on the field. Maybe they surprise me in the W/L column before year 4 but I'm not going there mentally any more if I can help it, I tend to do that in months leading up to a season starting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’m starting to wonder what above the line means. I mean if you have to be above the line to see the field. If any of our opponents had a line, where would that line be in comparison to our line?

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you actually believe that Coach Saban and Coach Swinney and others don't chew butt for mental errors? Of course they do. It is a HUGE part of coaching kids. Should they be supportive and encouraging? Sure, but without the discipline, they are not getting what they need to be the best they can be. I'm ok that it be kept private most of the time, but saban let's his players have it in public at times, and he has no issues recruiting. If you believe GT will recruit better by being "nicer", good, that is great, but we won't build a tough, disciplined team by just being nice.
He has no issues recruiting thanks to bag men

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
He has no issues recruiting thanks to bag men

I won't speak for "bagmen", but sa(t)an has a tremendous reputation for putting guys in the league (he even has letters to show recruits from Belechik and others that if they practice in his system on D, they will be considered for draft and free agent status whether they play a lot at Bama or not), so he really does not have to worry too much about "bagmen". He has guys lined up wanting his offers - at this point, he can be very picky and choosy about who he takes. I wish this were not true, but it is. On the other hand, schools chasing him like Auburn have and probably are still using bagmen consistently. I hate Alabama, as much as I hate UGAG, but it is what it is.