Returning players for 2021-22

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
So does this nil thing have any effect on eligibility with regards to signing with an agent? Say they don't get drafted, can they go back to play another college season (assuming there's still a spot available)?
No, it doesn’t change eligibility

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Champagnie was listed and he’s returning. That list was from 3 days ago so maybe things have changed.
The players listed probably accepted the invites a couple of weeks ago. Note this sentence, "Another nine players will be confirmed at a later date to make this 48 in total."

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
The players listed probably accepted the invites a couple of weeks ago. Note this sentence, "Another nine players will be confirmed at a later date to make this 48 in total."
The list must still be fluid. Per ESPN, Champagnie is withdrawing from the draft and returning to St. John’s.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The best part about this for me is that I am not even conflicted at this point. I’d love to have him back for another year selfishly for the school and my enjoyment of watching GT Hoops; would be just as happy to see him go pro.

It seems like he is getting enough looks that he will be given a legitimate shot at playing his way on to a pro roster though so even if he opts to not return I think we’ll get to see him picking pockets outside the hallowed halls of the ThrillerDome™ (Don’t @me it’ll always be the thriller dome to me).

Will feel good to know our roster slots tomorrow though to start looking to the future and talking rotations / roster management and scheme with some of you!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The best part about this for me is that I am not even conflicted at this point. I’d love to have him back for another year selfishly for the school and my enjoyment of watching GT Hoops; would be just as happy to see him go pro.

It seems like he is getting enough looks that he will be given a legitimate shot at playing his way on to a pro roster though so even if he opts to not return I think we’ll get to see him picking pockets outside the hallowed halls of the ThrillerDome™ (Don’t @me it’ll always be the thriller dome to me).

Will feel good to know our roster slots tomorrow though to start looking to the future and talking rotations / roster management and scheme with some of you!
I think this is a good point. Some time tomorrow, or early Thursday, we will have closure on the question. No matter what Jose does, his old position will be a position of strength for us.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's a lot easier to not worry about Jose leaving with us having both Kyle and Deivon as options. Both have high potential and one of the charms of college basketball, and to me the biggest advantage, is watching new players come in, develop, step up, and thrive.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It's a lot easier to not worry about Jose leaving with us having both Kyle and Deivon as options. Both have high potential and one of the charms of college basketball, and to me the biggest advantage, is watching new players come in, develop, step up, and thrive.
Agree with your point about college basketball (and sport in general) is the shortened window of time you get players.

It’s enjoyable to see the development of players and changes a coach makes to scheme to account for talent shifts and focuses.

GT_EE78

Banned
Jose has earned a shot at the big leagues.
I'm happy for him whatever he decides.
Can someone please forge a note from Jose's mother asking him to remember to send Kofi our way?

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Hmmm

Attachments

• 1E856F22-0068-441E-A558-14F6AD3F4B24.png
    1E856F22-0068-441E-A558-14F6AD3F4B24.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 101

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At this point, Jose has really just two options. Play another year at GT or follow his dream to play in the NBA.

Since I also dreamed of playing in the NBA, I understand how that can drive people to be in the gym at 5 AM and on the track running intervals. But no one (hardly) dreams of playing pro basketball in Israel or Spain. Not that those are bad options. Those are just not what most guys playing hoops their entire lives dream about.

I am sure Jose has heard scouts tell him he is not likely to get drafted, but he can try out for the G league at the minimum salary and see how it goes. He may have had talks with international scouts. But, at some level he probably has to face the fact that he will not get a guaranteed contract next year. Or maybe ever. My guess is that he is seen as a 23 year old 6' PG trying out for a league that has 6'9" PGs. KD is almost 7' tall and essentially plays the point for the Nets.

He knows he is as good as almost all the players in the G League Elite camp. But, most of those guys are in the same position he is relative the NBA. If he returns to GT he will almost from the start be a favorite for ACC POY. NIL money will likely be more than the G League or Israel would pay him.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m starting to think he knows or someone has told him he could have a potential NIL deal lined up or a team is gonna take a chance on him in the summer league and sign him. I don’t think over seas is what’s he’s planning on. At least not in the next year or so. I think it comes down to what’s more profitable. NIL $ or G League $ that could turn into a two way deal.
Now, if he were 21, I could see him returning and using the extra year but being 23 and coming back, making him 24 in next years draft, in the NBA eyes hurts him.