Returning players for 2021-22

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This settles a question.
This is starting to get exciting. When players choose Tech because of other players it’s a good sign. Lots of raw potential starting to accumulate at Tech with lots of pieces for Pastner to work with.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not sure this adds much to what we already know, but...

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure this adds much to what we already know, but...

I hope
“He’s either going to stay in the draft or go to Georgia Tech,” Pastner said. “Those are his two options.”
shuts up the St. John's fans at least.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know if this impacts Jose's decision, but Mitchell is not expected to be drafted. He has chosen option #1 that Jose is facing. Of course, he had already decided to leave BC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My reaction to Alvarado’s impending decision: “I hope he makes the right decision”

My reaction after Alvarado makes a decision today: “I hope he made the right decision.”

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My reaction to Alvarado’s impending decision: “I hope he makes the right decision”

My reaction after Alvarado makes a decision today: “I hope he made the right decision.”
Upside downside analysis for Jose. No charge.

Stay in the draft pool: upside - a chance to play in Summer League and G League this Fall. Possible future NBA. Downside - None of it happens.

Return to GT - Play for a chance at the Final Four, Get Masters Degree, Earn NIL money. Downside - Is there a downside?

How much of a risk taker is Jose? We will soon see. My guess is if he had heard a lot of positives from NBA teams this would not be difficult.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

Stay in the draft pool: upside - a chance to play in Summer League and G League this Fall. Possible future NBA. Downside - None of it happens.

Return to GT - Play for a chance at the Final Four, Get Masters Degree, Earn NIL money. Downside - Is there a downside?

How much of a risk taker is Jose? We will soon see. My guess is if he had heard a lot of positives from NBA teams this would not be difficult.
Get him an NIL deal as good as the G-League (or whatever it's called now). And get one for Cockburn too. :)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Sounds like returning to Tech is the better option with the caveat that he did get encouraging news from the NBA.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like returning to Tech is the better option with the caveat that he did get encouraging news from the NBA.
How much can he improve as a player at GT. If he wants a pro career he needs to play against other pros full time and spend all his time improving his skills as a BB player. That isn’t something that can be done as a college player. Best to him whatever he chooses.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think there is a high likelihood that he has shown as much as he can at the college level. I think a choice to come back GT indicates a step away from the dream of going pro, but it doesn't mean he loses the ability to make some money playing ball.. The NIL (as others have already said) would likely be good to him next season, and IF he gets a lot of coverage for his suffocating Defense and steals maybe he gains a larger following and gets better exposure?

We will know his choice soon enough and I just hope our fans are supportive of his decision.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
How much can he improve as a player at GT. If he wants a pro career he needs to play against other pros full time and spend all his time improving his skills as a BB player. That isn’t something that can be done as a college player. Best to him whatever he chooses.
I was just repeating for clarification what someone else said.

If the NBA is your dream you go for broke -all or nothing.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I tend to disagree with some that claim he shouldn’t come back. At this point if he’s not quite there yet, I think another year could move his draft stock up, especially if GT has a big year and makes a deep run into the tournament.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'll be pleasantly surprised if he comes back. He is the oldest player in the draft who has to make this decision today - by more than a full year. Hard to see a guy who is 23 yrs old and has a family coming back to school. As you get older you get less attractive to the NBA.
I believe he would have a relatively easy decision if the scouts were giving him any encouragement. He has tweeted about changing minds, so my guess is that if he returns to GT it will be pretty much a final decision re the NBA. I agree that a 24 y/o is not going to be a more attractive version of himself than the 23 y/o.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
I tend to disagree with some that claim he shouldn’t come back. At this point if he’s not quite there yet, I think another year could move his draft stock up, especially if GT has a big year and makes a deep run into the tournament.
Unfortunately when you're 22-23 the NBA seems to look at guys as already being a finished product with very little upside. At that point the draft stock of that player as very little room to improve. Coming back and playing great won't change that for Jose unless he suddenly gets taller and/or significantly more athletic.
Whatever happens as long as it's the best for Jose and his family then everyone should be okay with his decision