Returning players for 2021-22

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This settles a question.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I saw that about Jose, the guy is a warrior, and i will always support him. But he is quickly approaching a decision to either come back or pursue a career maybe oversee's.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The decision Jose has to make is whether or not he wants an opportunity in Summer League versus coming back. If he opts for Summer League, which he's 90%+ going to get invited to, then returning to college is no longer an option. Summer League is where Jose really has a chance to shine and showcase what makes him "Jose"...which scouts got glimpses of in the G League combine last week. He'll get an opportunity to run an NBA team, put his mark all over the stat sheet like he did this season, and showcase his defensive abilities which translates to the NBA.

I read that Jose has already had workouts with Milwaukee and NY Knicks. Teams are definitely interested in Jose...so he's going to get other opportunities. It's a matter of what Jose wants to do. Take shot in an extended setting where he can shine (Summer League), return to college, or go overseas. Jose will definitely have professional opportunities.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The decision Jose has to make is whether or not he wants an opportunity in Summer League versus coming back. If he opts for Summer League, which he's 90%+ going to get invited to, then returning to college is no longer an option. Summer League is where Jose really has a chance to shine and showcase what makes him "Jose"...which scouts got glimpses of in the G League combine last week. He'll get an opportunity to run an NBA team, put his mark all over the stat sheet like he did this season, and showcase his defensive abilities which translates to the NBA.

I read that Jose has already had workouts with Milwaukee and NY Knicks. Teams are definitely interested in Jose...so he's going to get other opportunities. It's a matter of what Jose wants to do. Take shot in an extended setting where he can shine (Summer League), return to college, or go overseas. Jose will definitely have professional opportunities.
Milwaukee has a 6'8" PG who can't shoot, so maybe a 6'0" PG who can is a real attraction. Unless the Knicks are thinking of moving on from Rose and Quickley I can't see why they would be interested in Jose other than giving a local guy a workout.

Whether Jose plays ball this summer I think has more to do with what kind of feedback he has gotten. NBA teams host a lot of workouts this time every year, so that doesn't reveal much. The Summer League cannot be the end game for Jose. He has to feel there is a real chance beyond this decision. His recent Tweet calling himself the "Underdog" may mean the feedback has not been what he hoped.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Milwaukee has a 6'8" PG who can't shoot, so maybe a 6'0" PG who can is a real attraction. Unless the Knicks are thinking of moving on from Rose and Quickley I can't see why they would be interested in Jose other than giving a local guy a workout.

Whether Jose plays ball this summer I think has more to do with what kind of feedback he has gotten. NBA teams host a lot of workouts this time every year, so that doesn't reveal much. The Summer League cannot be the end game for Jose. He has to feel there is a real chance beyond this decision. His recent Tweet calling himself the "Underdog" may mean the feedback has not been what he hoped.

Workouts mean there is interest. There's more to a position than whether or not a player will be a starter. There's bench depth, ability to help push starters in practice, and build a competitive system with their G League teams. Teams are not flying kids out for workouts because for the heck of it. It's not to say it means those teams want to sign Jose eventually, that's why they bring in other players for workouts and go through a rigorous process with all of their prospects. It just means they have someone on their radar that could be of interest for various reasons down the road.

Whether is a kid is a "local" kid or not is not factor...otherwise Atlanta Hawks and the Atlanta Falcons would bring in GT players all the time for workouts...and that hasn't happened too much over the last decade. Kids are brought because teams want to put their eyes on players first hand and grade them in person.

The end game is making an NBA roster. The Summer League is a great avenue towards making an NBA roster. It's a better showcase for players like Jose than 2-3 day camp like the one he just finished. It's where player like Anthony Morrow and Marcus Georges Hunt earned their spot. Granted they ran out of eligibility and didn't have the fall back that Jose has, but both probably do not make the roster without their performances in the Summer League. Therein lies the conundrum for Jose. There's no return to college if he opts to take his shot in the Summer League.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
From what I understand, all the European scouts will be watching the Summer League as well, so this is really the best place for a tryout to either stay in US (in G League) or go overseas. Hopefully he gets the opportunity and shines so that he gets picked up somewhere. It's good to have options!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Christov beat me to it. The upper level European teams and other leagues (China, etc.) scout the summer league as well. I expect Jose is on their radar screen already and I also expect Jose has an "advisor" who is talking to the different overseas leagues.

Back to Techster's point. The goal is to make a roster and not to be a starter or even top 7/8 guy to start. It is simply to make a roster. The 8/9/10 guys on the roster do quite well and if you can get to a second contract because you have a role you fill then you will walk away with well over $10 M in the bank. Great gig if you can get it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Christov beat me to it. The upper level European teams and other leagues (China, etc.) scout the summer league as well. I expect Jose is on their radar screen already and I also expect Jose has an "advisor" who is talking to the different overseas leagues.

Back to Techster's point. The goal is to make a roster and not to be a starter or even top 7/8 guy to start. It is simply to make a roster. The 8/9/10 guys on the roster do quite well and if you can get to a second contract because you have a role you fill then you will walk away with well over $10 M in the bank. Great gig if you can get it.
I agree with this. It all depends. The feedback from scouts has to inform his decision.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From what I understand, all the European scouts will be watching the Summer League as well, so this is really the best place for a tryout to either stay in US (in G League) or go overseas. Hopefully he gets the opportunity and shines so that he gets picked up somewhere. It's good to have options!

That's the thing about Summer League. It's an extensive look at a player not only for the team he plays on, but for a lot of other teams. You hear it in the NFL a lot: Make sure you put together a good tape. Even though you might not make that one team for various reasons, it doesn't mean other teams aren't looking at you and may bring you in because of what you put together on tape.

You make a good point: Summer League opens up avenues outside of the NBA. You can still make six figures a year playing in other leagues. James Forrest is a good example of someone who didn't make the NBA, but still had a lucrative career overseas. There are plenty of others.

Jose is going to play professionally regardless of whether it's in the NBA. However, he'll get better opportunities to showcase himself against future NBA players in the Summer League.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Jose does not compare favorably to most successful "little men" who played in the NBA such as Nate Robinson or Will Bynum or even Muggsy Bogues or Spud Webb. He is quick, but not a powerful, explosive athlete. I believe that summer league exposure to foreign league scouts will certainly land him an overseas contract. Hopefully, he hired an agent that has extensive foreign league contacts.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
That's the thing about Summer League. It's an extensive look at a player not only for the team he plays on, but for a lot of other teams. You hear it in the NFL a lot: Make sure you put together a good tape. Even though you might not make that one team for various reasons, it doesn't mean other teams aren't looking at you and may bring you in because of what you put together on tape.

You make a good point: Summer League opens up avenues outside of the NBA. You can still make six figures a year playing in other leagues. James Forrest is a good example of someone who didn't make the NBA, but still had a lucrative career overseas. There are plenty of others.

Jose is going to play professionally regardless of whether it's in the NBA. However, he'll get better opportunities to showcase himself against future NBA players in the Summer League.
You guys have all made great points. While I selfishly would love to see Jose in the white and gold again I can see that being a good move for him if he make a summer league roster.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Jose (and all college players) have to announce by July 7th on whether they are going to return to college. If I was a betting man I would expect Jose to stay in the draft.
He's 23 yrs old, so another year won't make him any more attractive to NBR teams, just less attractive - and he has a family. Hard to justify him coming back to school when he already has his degree.

We will start to see announcements pick up in the next few days. So far Trey Murphy (UVA) has announced he is staying in the draft. Armando Bacot (UNC) and Keve Aluma (VT) have both announced they are returning to school.

Also, any transfers that want to be eligible to play in the fall have to enter the portal by July 1st, so we will see if they are any last minute entries to the portal next week.

slugboy

Staff member
The one reason I could see Jose stick around is to become mostly a grad assistant and move towards a coaching career. I have no solid ground for that reasoning, though. Making money seems like a better idea.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FWIW, Jose (and all college players) have to announce by July 7th on whether they are going to return to college. If I was a betting man I would expect Jose to stay in the draft.
He's 23 yrs old, so another year won't make him any more attractive to NBR teams, just less attractive - and he has a family. Hard to justify him coming back to school when he already has his degree.
I agree with this logic. Jose returning to school to improve his draft chances does not make sense. I believe his decision right now is about what he wants to do for the next 3-5 years. Giving up dreams is never easy. The only logic to returning to GT is to get a graduate degree (on the house) and move on with life.