Returning players for 2021-22

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I agreed with others early in Jose freshman year, he was the culture-changing player the program needed. His nasty, get under the skin, never back down attitude was the jolt Tech needed. Straight As on him. 💯. Given the new momentum, and likelihood of fans back for 21-22, Ush and Jose are the most critical “culture” players we need back to preach to the team and lift the crowd. No other player genuinely lifts the crowd and team like those two. Moses and DeVoe significant, obviously, because they make Tech a national contender.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
To be honest, one reason I want the guys to come back is to experience the packed arena and excitement that they should have gotten to experience this past season. McCamish would have definitely been rocking. It would have been nice for them to experience a crowd of fans waiting for them on campus as they returned home from winning the ACC tournament. It would have been nice to see what the complete team could have done in the NCAA tournament. After what they have done to rebuild the program I hate that they did not get to experience some of those special moments with fans. If they all come back GT basketball will be the toughest ticket in the city next year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To be honest, one reason I want the guys to come back is to experience the packed arena and excitement that they should have gotten to experience this past season. McCamish would have definitely been rocking. It would have been nice for them to experience a crowd of fans waiting for them on campus as they returned home from winning the ACC tournament. It would have been nice to see what the complete team could have done in the NCAA tournament. After what they have done to rebuild the program I hate that they did not get to experience some of those special moments with fans. If they all come back GT basketball will be the toughest ticket in the city next year.
I hated reading that...made me realize just how shallow, vacuous and superficial I am. Your thoughts never occurred to me. I just wanted them back so we could win ballgames. ;)

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

Opens a scholarship for a transfer

Once a player enters the portal, is their scholarship immediately freed? Like they are giving up their slot on their current team, and can only come back if the coaches decide to add them back to the team?

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Once a player enters the portal, is their scholarship immediately freed? Like they are giving up their slot on their current team, and can only come back if the coaches decide to add them back to the team?
They can only come back if the coaches approve them too. I think this immediately opens a spot when he is officially cleared and in the portal. Sort of like a de-commitment

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There was a rumor last season that Didenko was at GT on a "tryout" basis. He made it to his 2nd season. I wonder if this is more the coaches saying "David, you can come back and be on the team, but you won't be on scholarship."

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
There was a rumor last season that Didenko was at GT on a "tryout" basis. He made it to his 2nd season. I wonder if this is more the coaches saying "David, you can come back and be on the team, but you won't be on scholarship."
Could be, but it could just be that he wants to play. I doubt it's much fun for the end-of-the-bench guys who expected to be in the rotation. I'm sure there's a situation out there where he could start - maybe down a level

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Could be, but it could just be that he wants to play. I doubt it's much fun for the end-of-the-bench guys who expected to be in the rotation. I'm sure there's a situation out there where he could start - maybe down a level

Yup. Could be a lot of things. Just remember, we got Didenko out of a JC team. He wasn't a starter there either.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I bet he knew after his first week of practice at Tech that he was in over his head. It is my guess that Tech told him he could stay until they needed that scholarship for a someone else. Now, who is the someone else and when will he make his commitment?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I mentioned this in the Usher return thread. My #1 thing for them returning would be to get a chance to have a more 'normal' Sr year. Both on the court and at school.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I bet he knew after his first week of practice at Tech that he was in over his head. It is my guess that Tech told him he could stay until they needed that scholarship for a someone else. Now, who is the someone else and when will he make his commitment?

Man, Walker Kessler is gonna look fantastic in white and gold!! (I kid :))

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is that once the player is officially in the portal the school must maintain the scholarship status for the remainder of the school term during which entry occurs. Meaning that he keeps his scholarship funding until this semester is over. So as soon as the semester is done the scholarship would be open which is the soonest a transfer could actually join, anyway. Usually once a player enters the portal they stop taking part in team activities and the schools are required to have written policies that spell out what services and benefits the player will have access to once entering the portal.

Once a player enters the transfer portal the coaches have the discretion to decide if the player will be allowed to return on scholarship should the player change his/her mind.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Entering the transfer portal releases the school from the 4 year obligation if that is what is being referenced.