Returning players for 2021-22

GT_EE78

Banned
Also, how often do we run a 4 guards plus Usher lineup?
great question, there could be situations where it's advantageous,
but if we're forced to go with Ush at 5 and Khalid at 4,
then there are teams who can get us into foul troubles like Loyola

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, how often do we run a 4 guards plus Usher lineup?
If coach follows the maxim that you play your five best players then I think we see this line-up quite bit. Spread the floor, run and press and try to run opposing bigs off the floor. But it depends on our guards being able to disrupt and extend opposing guards via ball pressure. We did this a few times last year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If word of Meka being a really good shot blocker and rebounder is true, I think he'll be the anchor on defense for any "small ball" lineup we have. Watching clips of the way he moves, he is really fast and has great bounce. Our guards are pretty big with Devoe at 6'5, Sturdivant at 6'3, Coleman 6'6, Usher 6'7. Add in a forward of Moore at 6'7, it'll be a really interesting lineup.

We could actuall go "big" small ball with Devoe at PG if we wanted and 1-5 would range from 6'5 to 6'8 (Devoe - Coleman - Usher - Moore - Meka). Remember, Coleman has also been mentioned as someone we would groom to have the ball in his hands as well.

Obviously, this all depends on matchups against the other team.

The gist of all this really, is there are a LOT of options for this staff with the talent we have at guard and on the wings. It makes for really exciting lineups...and we still haven't touched on the potential of a guy Devion Smith and his open court abilities. We really could have a "NASCAR" type lineup of getting the most explosive and fastest guys on the floor and it would still be a VERY good team.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
If word of Meka being a really good shot blocker and rebounder is true, I think he'll be the anchor on defense for any "small ball" lineup we have. Watching clips of the way he moves, he is really fast and has great bounce. Our guards are pretty big with Devoe at 6'5, Sturdivant at 6'3, Coleman 6'6, Usher 6'7. Add in a forward of Moore at 6'7, it'll be a really interesting lineup.

We could actuall go "big" small ball with Devoe at PG if we wanted and 1-5 would range from 6'5 to 6'8 (Devoe - Coleman - Usher - Moore - Meka). Remember, Coleman has also been mentioned as someone we would groom to have the ball in his hands as well.

Obviously, this all depends on matchups against the other team.

The gist of all this really, is there are a LOT of options for this staff with the talent we have at guard and on the wings. It makes for really exciting lineups...and we still haven't touched on the potential of a guy Devion Smith and his open court abilities. We really could have a "NASCAR" type lineup of getting the most explosive and fastest guys on the floor and it would still be a VERY good team.
I agree that Meka makes sense for me to have him playing in the 5 for a smaller lineup. I think Usher is too overpoweringly athletic to not have him out on the wing.

Remember Jordan had back surgery way back in December, so hopefully has been using the time to study up on our D Scheme. When he came here I vaguely remember CJP saying he thought Meka would be able to pick up where we left off with James Banks so that's heady praise.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On the big men side, Moore and Usher may start with 3 guards but if one of them needs to be subbed - one of the big guys is going to have to come in. Who the best one is - IDK. Probably Howard but up in the air.

As far as guard, Jose particularly late in the year was used as the defender for the other teams best player. I think it the biggest reason Sturdivant played a lot in ACC championship game. Jose couldn't play tough defense and lead the offense - he would get too tired. This leads to my point that Devoe will start as one of the 3 guards, but after that it will depend on who plays the toughest defense and I have no idea how well Smith or freshmen can play D. Sturdivant is ok and Bubba is tough but small and can be posted up. If these other guys can play defense, they will likely start. How good is Smith on defense?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
On the big men side, Moore and Usher may start with 3 guards but if one of them needs to be subbed - one of the big guys is going to have to come in. Who the best one is - IDK. Probably Howard but up in the air.

As far as guard, Jose particularly late in the year was used as the defender for the other teams best player. I think it the biggest reason Sturdivant played a lot in ACC championship game. Jose couldn't play tough defense and lead the offense - he would get too tired. This leads to my point that Devoe will start as one of the 3 guards, but after that it will depend on who plays the toughest defense and I have no idea how well Smith or freshmen can play D. Sturdivant is ok and Bubba is tough but small and can be posted up. If these other guys can play defense, they will likely start. How good is Smith on defense?
I like the pressure Bubba puts on the ball. I’d like to see him pressure the point or the 2 guard. I think he will help pick up some of the void from Jose being gone. As far as Smith, I have only seen offensive highlights. Not sure where he’s at defensively. Probably still raw since he was limited as a Fr at Miss St but Pastner obviously likes him so he can’t be too bad. We really have 3/4 guys that can run the PG spot. Mike Kyle Smith and even Bubba if he needs too. As I’ve said before, I think Usher fills that emotional and vocal alpha spot that Jose had. My only concern with this team is the post play and everyone, including the Fr, figuring out their roles and not being able to lean on Jose or Mo. the OOC is tough but manageable. No reason to go worse than 8-2. This team has the pieces (experience and talent/depth) to make the NCAAT. I see no reason we can’t be at worst a first four team.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I see Lunardi releases another bracket today. We are nowhere to be found. I actually like that. I think we can use that as motivation this season. I think this is a NCAAT team for sure.
I did see he has 3 of our OOC opponents in, with USC (7) LSU (8) Ga State (15) making the list. UAB is as well (not sure if we scheduled them) and 7 acc schools. Duke UNC FSU VT UVA ND Louisville.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I see Lunardi releases another bracket today. We are nowhere to be found. I actually like that. I think we can use that as motivation this season. I think this is a NCAAT team for sure.
I did see he has 3 of our OOC opponents in, with USC (7) LSU (8) Ga State (15) making the list. UAB is as well (not sure if we scheduled them) and 7 acc schools. Duke UNC FSU VT UVA ND Louisville.
Did Lunardi have us in at this time last year?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
New player's uniform numbers are up on the GTAA website:

Sneaks takes #5
Deebo Takes #10
Miles Kelly Takes #13
Jalon Moore Takes #14
Jermontae Hiill has #43.

No other # changes listed.

New Walk-On Brayden Daniels (Industrial Engineering) is #33. Colman Boyd (#30) and Jehloni Jones (#35) are the other listed walk-ons

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Our fastbreaks are going to be ridiculous. Imagine being Devoe or Sturdivant and looking up on a steal/rebound and seeing Jordan Usher or Deivon Smith blowing by defenders. Our guys need to strengthen their arms...there's going to be a LOT of long passes next season...or at least, the opportunity to make them with the amount of speed and athleticism on our team.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Our fastbreaks are going to be ridiculous. Imagine being Devoe or Sturdivant and looking up on a steal/rebound and seeing Jordan Usher or Deivon Smith blowing by defenders. Our guys need to strengthen their arms...there's going to be a LOT of long passes next season...or at least, the opportunity to make them with the amount of speed and athleticism on our team.
Yes - this 100%

I can’t wait to see our guys in transition this year.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't help from being excited about the potential of this squad. The roster is quite deep and the number of potential combos is extensive. The staff need only to find one for the team to finish in the top tier of the ACC for the third consecutive year. I like our chances.

Usher averaged 15ppg over his last 8 games. He and Devoe give us two 15ppg scorers as a foundation on offense. That means we need two more reliable scoring threats from the rest of the roster. Candidates for those roles would come from: Sturdivant (who shot well last year in limited attempts), Smith, Maxwell, Gigberia, Coleman, Kelly, J. Moore and Hill. That is a pretty long candidate list.

The roster has a good mix of veterans and youth. All of Devoe, Usher, K. Moore, Bubba and Sturdivant played key roles on a winning team and are battle tested. That should be an adequate foundation to rudder the ship and carry over the culture.

Another thing that stands out is the length and athleticism 1-4. Smith and Sturdivant are fast players in the back court. The other wings are very long. The team has excellent defensive potential, similar to our great 2004 team.

I also like that Smith looks to have an excellent character to carry over Alvarado's swag and take ownership of the team.

The open question, of course, is whether we can get production from the post. We at least need a defensive presence there.

On the down side, we have no proven production there. Howard didn't show too much but did flash in the regular season Miami game that he could at least play to the speed of the ACC game. And our brief glimpse of Gigiberia is that he is big and has an assertive nature on the offensive end. Both Howard and Gigi showed the need to develop their low post footwork on defense. We know that Meka is undersized for a five but is athletic, strong and can jump out of the gym. All three bring something different to the table. That versatility gives the staff something to tinker with.

But I think it really all comes down to whether or not Reveno and the staff can work their player development magic If at least one of the three can develop into an average ACC post player, then the team can attain that third consecutive top 5 finish in the ACC, which is my hope for this team. The potential is there.