Returning players for 2021-22

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Usher is an in between player in the NBA. He isn't a great ball handler and he doesn't have a great 3-pt shot (28.6%). And, while he is great athlete, he would not be that different from a lot of NBA athletes. Since we play so much zone, it's hard to judge his defense. Has he shown up on any mock draft?

Jose is a great college basketball player, but at 6 feet (with a very liberal tape measure) he is seriously undersized for the NBA. The thing that really stands out with him is his fierce competitiveness. He's a tough player, but the NBA travel and physical stress might be worth it. But I don't see him going overseas in 2021 to play internationally. One mock draft has him going to the Spurs in the 2nd round. That would surprise me.

I could see Moses going if he gets drafted, but you made a good point. His less than wonderful play in Greensboro and not getting to play in the NCAAT probably hurt his draft chances. Also, the ACC 2020-21 version has lost some respect this weekend. Being the POY may not carry the same cache it would normally. The area I think he needs to improve is creating his own shot away from the basket. He gets a lot points on dunks and putbacks. Those points will be much harder to get in the NBA.

I disagree here. I don't think Bubba has a pro future. He is just too small and isn't an otherwise great player. I like what he has added to the team in his two years here, but getting a degree and beginning his life after basketball should be his focus.

Mike has a different opinion of himself. I would not be surprised if he declares for the draft.
As a JR I would tell Mike to declare for the draft and go through the evaluation process. Like you I would be surprised if he gets a message he should go. But with the ability to go through the process and back out he should declare for the draft.

One other minor nit, there are a lot of rim runs in the NBA off of their pick and roll sets. Whether Moses is big enough to play 5 is debatable but the league is redefining that position.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
my comment wasn't info based, it was just from seeing him at 82 on a top 100 list.
thats around where Okogie was until he jumped about 40 spots at the combine
Unfortunately for Mike, he is nowhere close to being the athletic freak that Josh tested out to be at the combine. Mike looks about athletic on the floor as I do and I’m 43 and played college ball 22 years ago. Lol

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Unfortunately for Mike, he is nowhere close to being the athletic freak that Josh tested out to be at the combine. Mike looks about athletic on the floor as I do and I’m 43 and played college ball 22 years ago. Lol
Do you have any eligibility left?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
As Red said, Mike absolutely should declare. Any Jr that’s a fringe player should take advantage of the option. Most likely he’s going to get feedback he won’t want to hear.

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
Question for this discussion - you have to be a full time student to come back, and you have to maintain academic progress. Would any Sr. coming back be required to get into grad school? Or could they get a minor or something like that? Or do they really have 5 years of undergrad time?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Okay I love you guys pumping up Devoe to declare for the NBA but he just isn't that guy right now. There is a sup 5% chance he would be drafted even if he killed workouts.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Question for this discussion - you have to be a full time student to come back, and you have to maintain academic progress. Would any Sr. coming back be required to get into grad school? Or could they get a minor or something like that? Or do they really have 5 years of undergrad time?
Student Athlete can be working on another undergraduate degree.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
One outlet has Moses Wright between the second round and undrafted. This one also has him in the second round near Kofi Cockburn. FWIW, I think Okogie had a second-round grade and went in the first.
Moses may not get drafted, but I think he’s pretty sure to get at least a free agent contract if he goes in. It’d be tough to raise his NBA draft stock, because even the best of years would be countered by being another year older.,
The only way I could see him back is if the staff sells him on being more of a 4. He shot 41% on 1.2 3pt attempts per game, if he can get that to 37-40% on 2-3 attempts per game it shows the versatility NBA teams like in a 3rd-4th big.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As Red said, Mike absolutely should declare. Any Jr that’s a fringe player should take advantage of the option. Most likely he’s going to get feedback he won’t want to hear.
If you declare for the draft and are not invited to the combine, the chances of getting drafted essentially disappear. They don't drop to zero, but very close. This year the combine begins Sept 28th for invited players and is currently planned to be virtual through mid-November. I am not sure how a college player (Mike in this case) participates in the combine and still remains eligible to play for his college team in the 2021-22 season.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If you declare for the draft and are not invited to the combine, the chances of getting drafted essentially disappear. They don't drop to zero, but very close. This year the combine begins Sept 28th for invited players and is currently planned to be virtual through mid-November. I am not sure how a college player (Mike in this case) participates in the combine and still remains eligible to play for his college team in the 2021-22 season.
Damn. I didn’t realize it was that late this year. I can honestly say I don’t pay much attention to the NBA anymore. Really haven’t since the 90’s. Lol

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA has changed the rules to allow players a one time exemption for declaring for the draft, going through the combine and getting feedback from the NBA but still be able to renounce their draft availability and retain NCAA eligibility. Don't know the dates but there is a set schedule for them somewhere.

GT_EE78

Banned
Josh O was also an amazing athlete. I don’t think Devoe has the physical traits to shock scouts.
agree with that but devoe will be graded on his 3pt shooting potential.
i thnk there's more supply in that arena.,so i don't foresee a great leap.
but then i didn't see josh's great leap coming either.
if the sr's don't return he may not want to go thru the rebuild.I'm just hoping for the best