Reservations for this season

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I have two reservations:

1. Will we be able to play a full 60 min? Looking at many of our opponents last year, our SA's looked liked grammar school equivalents. We will really need to step up the athleticism to play a full game. And I'm not worried about the W-L "this" year ... I just want the team to play until the whistle blows on every down.
  2. Will the fans stay for a full 60 min? I just read Dysfunction of a Decade which details what happened to the Tennessee program, mostly under Butch Jones. He clearly lost the fanbase with his antics (dunking a ball into a trash can?) and phrases (leadership reps, Champions of Life, brick by brick). I hope we don't inject so much so fast into the program that it becomes a joke.
Other than that, I renewed my tix and look forward to the spring game!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmmmm. How bad is your Alzheimers? If you recall, in 2008 we went from the same offense we'll be running next year to the spread option and had to convert a variety of players to new positions (my favorite = Austin Varrick from TE to OT) and train all of our O skill players to a whole new set of requirements. I mean, there's no question that going back to the real high school offense and the 4 - 3 will be a challenge and your four year timeline is probably right, but this is hardly the biggest makeover even in the last 15 years.

You're right about Parker and Saint-Amour. Those guys were both prime football players and will be missed.

This year we will not have Coach Johnson's game day brilliance or the much vaunted 2007 class to smooth things over in transition. I will have you know that I was recently tested for Alzheimer's and was found to have the relatively common condition known as "Sometimers" Sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't but mark my words this will be a huge makeover. You will see.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This year we will not have Coach Johnson's game day brilliance or the much vaunted 2007 class to smooth things over in transition. I will have you know that I was recently tested for Alzheimer's and was found to have the relatively common condition known as "Sometimers" Sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't but mark my words this will be a huge makeover. You will see.

I hope you're wrong, but I think you're right.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
You are being to realistic for many posting on this board......You are now deemed TOO negative and need to shut up and sit in the back like the rest of us have been told. You may not express your opinion until you buy into all the hype. :p
Oh good, we can rehash this out again -- same argument, different thread...
If you are enjoying the change and optimistic -- you are drinking the coolaid and an idiot.
If you are stating the obvious (change is hard, won't win a Natty next year, etc) --- you aren't negative, you are realistic.

FWIW, I do think the poster was trying to walk the line between these two views. Still have no reservations....I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this until if/when it becomes a dumpster fire. Then I'll reset my expectations and reservations to normal.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I didn't intend to make light of people with Alzheimers, though I can see that I did. I hope we can do well in the transition, but you have the weight of existing evidence on your side.

Btw, I haven't been tested for the disorder and I'm already a Sometimer.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I do think the poster was trying to walk the line between these two views. Still have no reservations....I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this until if/when it becomes a dumpster fire. Then I'll reset my expectations and reservations to normal.
Yes, you're right. I don't see much reason to think that Coach won't be able to make a success of his time at Tech. So I'm optimistic. I also don't think we will be able to live up to the hype. So I'm realistic.

The one thing I keep saying is what Heisman says above: this will take awhile, it will cost a lot of money, and we will need to be patient and ready to put up. This is something I actually think our fans will do. We put up for new recruiting staff before Paul retired and we'll put up for more in future.

Animal02

Banned
Oh good, we can rehash this out again -- same argument, different thread...
If you are enjoying the change and optimistic -- you are drinking the coolaid and an idiot.
If you are stating the obvious (change is hard, won't win a Natty next year, etc) --- you aren't negative, you are realistic.

Missed it by a mile again....buy keep trying.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The only concern I have is our fans.
Nothing new there. That is something to be concerned about if things go south but that can be said about a lot of fan bases these days. Everyone wants instant results but turning around a football program is not easy and there are seldom quick fixes. When Johnny Majors wen t to Pitt he had over 100 football players the first week of practice and found some good ones but the days of massive player tryouts are long gone. Every fan base thinks that this just might be the season to catch lightning in a bottle that will lead to glory, ESPN Game Day, Rivals hyping and all the rest that usually dries up faster than a light rain shower on hot asphalt in South Georgia.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We lost our entire starting DL which was the strength of a bad D. Now we add a spot to it while changing scheme and terminology for the whole D. And don’t forget moving guys to new positions. Our back 8 was horrible last year especially the LB corps. I don’t see where all the D optimism is coming from.

I don't "like", but I agree any improvement here would be a very welcome surprise. I also don't know where the optimism comes from.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You are being to realistic for many posting on this board......You are now deemed TOO negative and need to shut up and sit in the back like the rest of us have been told. You may not express your opinion until you buy into all the hype. :p

See, I don't think anyone was going to tell him that. I actually haven't seen anyone tell you that, either. We have had relative peace for awhile, actually.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1. can he and his staff coach?
2. We just got rolled over our last two games and made to look slow and small - not a good combination - is that going to continue?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. can he and his staff coach?
2. We just got rolled over our last two games and made to look slow and small - not a good combination - is that going to continue?

Good post.
Thanks for avoiding the vague arguments.

On 1 - I am pretty sure they can do player development . What worries me is how they will react after the first play called by a competent opponent. I am hoping cgc s 3 broyles nominations were made in some part for in game actions. If yes we will be ok.

2. Looking at the TWIT pictures- our linemen seem short and we dont see the starters participating . We have not made great use of Swilling and now Graham is suspended. Sure we are building team in the drills. Looking at the new ol( for 2020 ) recruiting offers - 6-4 is the smallest. Soon there will be no wondering who the linemen is in a photo ..

Of the above 2 has me way more worried.