Reservations for this season

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
No concerns here, I have the same projection for next season as I have had the past 30 plus years. This is going to be the year, Tech’s going undefeated and going to win national title . I was right in 1990, going to be again in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the Coastal is more difficult than it seems many assume.

It seems that d'oh U, vpi, and unc have recruited better than us every year and Duke and Pitt better than us some years recently. uva recruited better than us regularly under their previous coach, iirc.

Somebody correct me/clarify if I'm wrong.

Still, we finished last year 2nd in the Coastal because our O went crazy for a few games.

I am cautiously hopeful, but I think pretending that duke, unc, and uva are what they were 5 years ago is a mistake.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am cautiously hopeful, but I think pretending that duke, unc, and uva are what they were 5 years ago is a mistake

Couldn't agree more. The biggest fault I see in our fan base is a refusal to admit that these schools can improve. Two of the three have excellent HCs and the other has shown that they won't let minor stuff like attending real classes interfere with athletics. All spend more money on football than we do, and all have bigger support staffs. I'm not sure why we keep looking down our noses at schools who are committing more resources to football than we are.

Animal02

Banned

It seems that d'oh U, vpi, and unc have recruited better than us every year and Duke and Pitt better than us some years recently. uva recruited better than us regularly under their previous coach, iirc.

Still, we finished last year 2nd in the Coastal because our O went crazy for a few games.

I am cautiously hopeful, but I think pretending that duke, unc, and uva are what they were 5 years ago is a mistake.
We would probably beat Duke more if we didn't have to play against the frikkin refs as well

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Did anyone else think this thread was gonna be about bench players?
totally lol

True but nor are VPI, Louisville, and FSU the same that they were 5 years ago. ;) I don't think UNC has improved.

Wake is still asleep though. :sleep: ( I know this is about the Coastal - just wanted to get my shots in on FSU, Louisville, and Wake)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My biggest concern for the immediate future is installing a whole new offense & defense!! I just do not know if we have enough time for that, to be able to effectively play well in the fall!! I hope for a good win - loss record, but it will be tough!!
Bingo!

We have good talent coming back for any kind of offense you name and the D has some of our best players. But now we will expect those players to adapt to new systems on both sides of the line in the space of spring and fall practice. Despite their prior experience - most of our players were in a shotgun spread in high school and we played a 4 - 3 until last year - I expect some major hiccups when we get into game situations. Most teams that do this have a tough time of it in the first year.

But that'll be up to Coach and co. I'm not expecting miracles this year (or next, for that matter), but getting the troops to realize where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to be doing in so little time and still getting some success will be challenge. I think 6 - 7 wins would indicate that we have a collection of football coaches on our sideline.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
totally lol

True but nor are VPI, Louisville, and FSU the same that they were 5 years ago. ;) I don't think UNC has improved.

Wake is still asleep though. :sleep: ( I know this is about the Coastal - just wanted to get my shots in on FSU, Louisville, and Wake)

I appreciate you. Your shots at LOLvl and FSU kind of support my reason for only being only cautiously hopeful. They also kick our butts in recruiting, and yet on field performance shows that there is not a simple, direct correlation between recruiting rankings and on-field success. Again, if I recall correctly, Mike London brought in pretty good recruiting classes without having comparable success in the Coastal.

In other words, Saturday-coaching also matters. CGC simply doesn't have a long-enough track record to draw a conclusion one way or the other on what to expect in this regard.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate you. Your shots at LOLvl and FSU kind of support my reason for only being only cautiously hopeful. They also kick our butts in recruiting, and yet on field performance shows that there is not a simple, direct correlation between recruiting rankings and on-field success. Again, if I recall correctly, Mike London brought in pretty good recruiting classes without having comparable success in the Coastal.

In other words, Saturday-coaching also matters. CGC simply doesn't have a long-enough track record to draw a conclusion one way or the other on what to expect in this regard.
I am pretty optimistic cgc can devlope and coach up a defense. His miss state and if defenses were solid - scheme wise.
Could this be next years big surprise?
Its possible that we play a lot of reserves in a high energy defense.

On the other hand we are so spoiled on the offensive side of the ball. We better find a qb or it's going to be a .....
To keep the other team guessing , I would love to see a couple of the called run options that we ran against usf, vt, and ul. We could practice these plays w some reserves.

There I mentioned reserves while expressing my reservations.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what our record will be next year with a new staff and system plus having recruited differently for the 3O. I am not expecting much but hopefully optomistic. I was not impressed with the Temple performance against Duke but ours wasn't so hot against Minn. I hope both were due to lame duck coaching staffs and less than enthusiastic players.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
All of these posts have good points. I would add that FAN support might be the most important. This season with a new coach,new offense,new defense is the perfect time to introduce the NEW GEORGIA TECH FAN base! Stand up!be loud,be proud of this new version of GT FOOTBALL!!!!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Its looks like it is going to be rough start changing both Off and def completely. Also--Not only do we not have any player that we can project anywhere close to all-conf,(with Braun gone) there are a bunch of positions where we don't EVEN know for sure who the starter is ----with the QB leading this list. hmmm
If GC can get to breakeven I will be tickled pink..

So I look at it this way, as long as we do not try to be a pass happy team , say 70-30 run to pass, as most successful Tech teams have been we have a good shot at a winning season. I think defense will be better and special teams will. By the way, moving to a 4-3 is no issue since many of the current players were in a 4-3 year before last.
Schedule:

Clemson L They might take it all again
USF W
Citadel W
Temple W tough game up there
UNC W Mack Brown was not the solution
Duke W They are going to drop off this year
Miami L They may be a total dumpster fire at this point but away game
Pitt W in Atlanta
UVA L at UVA and they probably are better than us
Va Tech W say goodbye to the Va Tech coaching staff
Nc State Pick em Not sure what they have coming back
UGA L they are getting good, but I don't think they win the SEC East.

so 7-5

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I view next season similarly to Pastners first season. On paper, it has the potential to be pretty rough, based off graduation and transfers. If we want a surprisingly good season, we will need a few players to have breakout seasons, a la Okogie, Lammers, and Tadric being a great 6th man.
Since the major conference realignment, the coastal has averaged 5 teams being within 1 game of .500 in conference play, with the worst ever being 4, and the most ever being 6 teams being 1 game within .500. The key to winning the coastal has always been to win 6 conference games. Since realignment in 2013, the ACC has also coincidently had a title contender every single year. Tech also has the luck of playing Clemson right now every year, so winning the coastal requires Tech to be damn near perfect in conference play, especially in division play. So without even looking st the roster let’s look at the schedule first.
Citadel: so help me God if we don’t know how to play against the triple option
USF: last years horse race went to the home team. I think it will again
Temple: really wish this game could have been literally any other year but the year we stole their coach and play at their place. If Temple got the choice of winning only 1 game this season, I think this might be the one.
uga: essentially an 8th home game for them. Winning in Athens is nice, but dear god winning it Atlanta is so much better
Clemson: Trevor Lawrence. Seeing their defense should be interesting with all its transition, but We all know and “love” Venables.
Miami: 5-0 in 1 score games in 2017 and 1-4 in them last year. Average those two seasons together and you get two 9-4 seasons which is a much better representation of where they really are at. With roster transition and the absolute boatload of transfers, it should be an interesting season. Mark Richt was the first Miami coach without sanctions since the scandal, so we can expect a different Miami than what PJ faced.
VT: after averaging 11 wins a season for the 2000s, they have only had more than 8 wins once since 2011. This isn’t the same VT. We get them at home.
Pitt: division champs, return about everybody, get them at home. 50/50 ish
Duke: I’m hoping cutcliffes complaints about cut blocks were the key to their success. Getting them on the road aint fun
UVA: I ducking hate Charlottesville
UNC: if they get 8 people injured for the third year in a row, I thunk they have been punished enough. Mack can obviously still recruit, but can he still coach? Expect them to be a lot better (had they recovered an on side kick, last years game could have been uglier) than what they have been the last two years.
In short, the best way to look at the coastal is to guess the two teams not stuck in the middle. One team will likely be 6-2, one team 1-7. Every one else will be between 3-5 and 5-3. I’m hoping those two teams are UVA/Pitt and the top and VT at the bottom.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
My expectations are about 5 wins in year 1, bowl in year 2, bowl in year 3, and year 4 to be the year we start seeing contention for ACC titles. Offensively I don't see how we don't feel the impact of transitioning away from the option. Best case scenario at QB is Yates is legit and can start day 1. That would mean no TO habits to have to break, and less adjustment. That being said it'd be starting a true freshman QB which can have success, but isn't likely behind an OL also adjusting. That is the biggest concern on offense. It'll take until year 3 to have a line that has more experience in a new system than the old one, and even if 3 of the positions transition seamlessly that leaves you with a weak OL. I know some people have suggest that all we have to do is put the guys in 2 point stances and all our problems are solved but I think it's naive to believe that. At WR we have no real proven commodities, and low numbers in general. I feel like we are in for two years of transition offenses trying to make do with pieces that don't quite fit the holes they are being plugged into.

Defensively I'm a bit more hopeful right away. I still worry with how much we are losing in the front 7 but I could see more improvement right away. Best chance is we can get a bigger improvement on D right away and use the running backs, our most proven offensive unit, to play ball control and win some lower scoring games.
I also think year four is when we really turn the corner.