Reservations for this season

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Alright, I know we all have been excited one way or the other on the hiring of Collins and his style of recruiting and management of the program. But, my question to you is what are your reservations on this season? I think at one point everyone has mentioned offensive and defensive line concerns. Of course switching from a TO offense to a multiple offense. But what are other concerns?

What do you expect the attendance will be for the USF game? I'm thinking 40-45k. If that number is short of 40k do we think there is more of a "rebuild" of the brand than previously thought?

Do we have concerns for coaching capabilities? Having a TO neutralized a lot of the talent gap we had. Can Collins lead us to a .500 or better record in year 1? And if not how or will that effect recruiting for 2020. You'd think he would need an upset or two to convince some high 4 star and 5 star players to come here.

I've heard from some "older" yellow jackets that his "gimmick" style of excitement is cheap and they dislike it.
Ex: swag chalice, DJ at practices, storm troopers holding signs on sideline, his use of social media.
I find this as passion and it's good to have a coach who thinks outside of the box. That's how the forward pass was created! Outside the box!

I've only listed a few concerns. What do you have? Let's try to focus on new concerns rather than things we have known all along. Those you would figure are being addressed by the staff.

Also, what are your expectations year 1 to year 2? I'm hoping for .500 or better this year with year 2 meaning ACC championship. Tall order, but possible.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest concern for the immediate future is installing a whole new offense & defense!! I just do not know if we have enough time for that, to be able to effectively play well in the fall!! I hope for a good win - loss record, but it will be tough!!

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
My main concern is finding a way for our current OL to be successful in a different style of offense. My hope is that we’ll be pleasantly surprised by pass protection given that they will likely be learning different techniques and not focusing so much on the run. The loss of Braun really hurts, but contrary to what people think, some these guys have decent size and might surprise in a new offense.

I think offensive skill positions will be strong. I expect a few WR who were already on the team will get to show what they can do.

Defensively, we’ve sucked for so long, I’m used to it. With a staff who is supposed to be strong on that side of the ball, I expect results better or similar to what we’ve had.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think the stands will be packed for usf regardless of what happens at Clemson.

My biggest concern is who is going to play QB. It is a total unknown what we have there.

I think we could reasonably finish with anywhere from 5-8 wins. I would be okay witb 6 or more. Year 2 could be about the same. We will have a better team but a tougher schedule. Year 3 is when we should be really good.

I am not worried about this year's record affecting recruiting unless we go 3-9 or something.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we need 2020 Recruiting momentum by signing a few top targets (4*) in key areas - OL / DL. Although the communication is great, the tweets will lose steam unless we capitalize on the newness in a hurry. These kids watch who goes where very closely....

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Alright, I know we all have been excited one way or the other on the hiring of Collins and his style of recruiting and management of the program. But, my question to you is what are your reservations on this season? I think at one point everyone has mentioned offensive and defensive line concerns. Of course switching from a TO offense to a multiple offense. But what are other concerns?

What do you expect the attendance will be for the USF game? I'm thinking 40-45k. If that number is short of 40k do we think there is more of a "rebuild" of the brand than previously thought?

Do we have concerns for coaching capabilities? Having a TO neutralized a lot of the talent gap we had. Can Collins lead us to a .500 or better record in year 1? And if not how or will that effect recruiting for 2020. You'd think he would need an upset or two to convince some high 4 star and 5 star players to come here.

I've heard from some "older" yellow jackets that his "gimmick" style of excitement is cheap and they dislike it.
Ex: swag chalice, DJ at practices, storm troopers holding signs on sideline, his use of social media.
I find this as passion and it's good to have a coach who thinks outside of the box. That's how the forward pass was created! Outside the box!

I've only listed a few concerns. What do you have? Let's try to focus on new concerns rather than things we have known all along. Those you would figure are being addressed by the staff.

Also, what are your expectations year 1 to year 2? I'm hoping for .500 or better this year with year 2 meaning ACC championship. Tall order, but possible.

Let's see...in order of how you asked:

-My reservations: QB/WR play, OL, New Defense

-Attendance: 43K+ - no

-No concerns for coaching capabilities right now, in February, before I've seen a down played. Yes, he can go .500 or better. As long as we don't bottom-out, recruiting shouldn't be affected.

-His "gimmick" offense can't possibly be more gimmicky than the TO. It can, however, be more balanced and thus more enticing to more recruits and less restrictive to recruiting than the previous one. The Griffin signing is early proof of that.

-My expectations: 6 wins should be the floor. The Coastal isn't a tough division.

-I actually think some of the OL concerns may be overblown. When PJ was signed in 2008, many said it'd be a hard transition from the normal OL style of play to PJ's style of play. If that's the case, then perhaps moving from PJ's style back to a traditional style of stand-up blocking might not prove as difficult as we think. Plus, Brent Key is a far better OL coach than Sewak.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Let's see...in order of how you asked:

-My reservations: QB/WR play, OL, New Defense

-Attendance: 43K+ - no

-No concerns for coaching capabilities right now, in February, before I've seen a down played. Yes, he can go .500 or better. As long as we don't bottom-out, recruiting shouldn't be affected.

-His "gimmick" offense can't possibly be more gimmicky than the TO. It can, however, be more balanced and thus more enticing to more recruits and less restrictive to recruiting than the previous one. The Griffin signing is early proof of that.

-My expectations: 6 wins should be the floor. The Coastal isn't a tough division.

-I actually think some of the OL concerns may be overblown. When PJ was signed in 2008, many said it'd be a hard transition from the normal OL style of play to PJ's style of play. If that's the case, then perhaps moving from PJ's style back to a traditional style of stand-up blocking might not prove as difficult as we think. Plus, Brent Key is a far better OL coach than Sewak.

Didn't mean it as gimmick offense. He is considered to have gimmicks like he is more entertainment than football. I thi k people fail to realize he can do both and do them well

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't mean it as gimmick offense. He is considered to have gimmicks like he is more entertainment than football. I thi k people fail to realize he can do both and do them well

Initially, esp if it proves decently successful at moving the ball, I think most fans will enjoy seeing more usage of the forward pass, just given that it's been 11 years of an offense that mostly did not throw the ball. I'm sure most fans will be glad to not watch so many QB keeper plays every game. The last 2 years, I thought we got very stale and predictable on offense.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
WR position. I don't think as a group or individually anyone stood out.

They will have to block (yes) - but also run good routes, create separation and make catches. We will throw the ball more this year but we're not sure by whom and how well. Anything in their vicinity they have to get to the ball and make catch.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

They haven't really said what the offense will be like. CGC on the radio in the last couple of days said that this year they will incorporate a lot of the things that GT has been doing and will migrate the offense as more recruiting classes come to GT. Those statements had some people thinking of something similar to the double wing diamond formation from when Vad Lee was the QB.

I think there will be more than 50k at the USF game. According to the ticket office, season ticket sales are up.(Although the "percentage" numbers they gave are possibly misleading) Atlanta isn't as bad as Miami, but it is a trend following population. USF isn't an FCS school. The new coaches have been active in the media and in social media. If GT plays decently against Clemson, it is possible that many non GT fans will come to the USF game to see what is up with the new coach and lead to a capacity crowd.

I think the size of the talent gap is highly exagerated. Clemson and the mutts definitely have larger/faster guys all the way down their two-deep. Most of our schedule does not. They might have had better recruiting classes, but even if you believe the recruiting service rankings are precise, a jump from the 40s to the 20s can be as small as: 20 recruits vs 18, one player - a four star at GT, and a top 250 four star at another school. It doesn't take much.

I don't think he has been over the top with swag(like Miami). I remember when the mutts played Boise State that on a 3rd an long, Boise State gained about twenty yards. The mutt defender made a good open field tackle and then proceeded to jump all around and beat his chest. His team just gave up a third and long, but he believed his individual play was more important than what was happening to the team.

My only issue with the hype from CGC at this point is there is nothing to back it up. With CJP, at the beginning he was talking about year 3 or 4 to get basketball back on track. People are now starting to question CJP and the hype in that program. When you are good, you don't have to "tell" everyone that you are good, they just know it.(Alabama)

I think we probably have a better chance at a championship season this year than next. This year we don't know what we will have. The Coastal schedule will still be the same, but the OOC schedule will be tough. It will be very easy to have an incredibly good team next year and still lose 5 games.

Last edited:

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I share some distaste for gimmicks, but I can say unequivocally so far that CGC has backed up his gimmicks with substance. He has absolutely been heavily involved in instituting a clear image of Tech football and a structure that supports that, and he has backed up these things with communication and connection to staff. The staff we've assembled have nearly all highlighted their prior working relationship with CGC and his reputation over years in the biz. People came here not simply because it was an opportunity for career advancement.

The on-field product? Who knows. We have a serious talent gap with 2 established national powers on our schedule. I seriously doubt we close that and compete with Clemson and the Dwags in the near future. Miami has the next most talent, but they haven't been able to leverage it well, and they're going through regime change as well. Duke and UVA are perhaps the more realistic litmus tests as stable programs, although UVA under Bronco has been underwhelming but had a generally good product last year. Cutcliffe is always gonna have a well-coached team and has had athletes on par with CPJ's.

My expectation? Bowl eligibility. But I'm not going to make much meaning out of the results even if it's another 3-9 season unless we fail to be cohesive as a team.

Animal02

Banned

The problem with gimmicks is that at best they get you some attention.....at worst, they make you look foolish. I much prefer players acting like they have been in the end zone a hundred times when scoring a touchdown then jumping all over and thumping their chests when making an interception down by 30 points.
I think the whole "rebuild of a brand", at a minimum is very irritating. Doe it need a bit of polish and a tune up, sure, but saying it has to be rebuilt is simply false, and a put down of everything that has been accomplished in the past.
My biggest question is will those that are attracted to the gimmicks and flash be suited and survive the Tech environment. (Cue all the claims that calculus is not hard, they have academic support, yada yada:rolleyes:)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

My expectations are about 5 wins in year 1, bowl in year 2, bowl in year 3, and year 4 to be the year we start seeing contention for ACC titles. Offensively I don't see how we don't feel the impact of transitioning away from the option. Best case scenario at QB is Yates is legit and can start day 1. That would mean no TO habits to have to break, and less adjustment. That being said it'd be starting a true freshman QB which can have success, but isn't likely behind an OL also adjusting. That is the biggest concern on offense. It'll take until year 3 to have a line that has more experience in a new system than the old one, and even if 3 of the positions transition seamlessly that leaves you with a weak OL. I know some people have suggest that all we have to do is put the guys in 2 point stances and all our problems are solved but I think it's naive to believe that. At WR we have no real proven commodities, and low numbers in general. I feel like we are in for two years of transition offenses trying to make do with pieces that don't quite fit the holes they are being plugged into.

Defensively I'm a bit more hopeful right away. I still worry with how much we are losing in the front 7 but I could see more improvement right away. Best chance is we can get a bigger improvement on D right away and use the running backs, our most proven offensive unit, to play ball control and win some lower scoring games.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Boy that is a lot of questions and being old right now my only concern would be if I'm still alive by the start of the season. Other than that I hope beer prices don't go up before the start of the season.