Reservations for this season

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
No concerns here, I have the same projection for next season as I have had the past 30 plus years. This is going to be the year, Tech’s going undefeated and going to win national title . I was right in 1990, going to be again in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020! Every thirty years.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know what to expect record wise but what I hope and expect to see is 1) that we are better at the end of the year than in the beginning, 2) we play every game with enthusiasm and toughness 3) we get some glimpses into the longer term plan for the offense and 4) fans stay with the team whatever the outcome on the scoreboard. The one I have the most reservations about is #4

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Alright, I know we all have been excited one way or the other on the hiring of Collins and his style of recruiting and management of the program. But, my question to you is what are your reservations on this season? I think at one point everyone has mentioned offensive and defensive line concerns. Of course switching from a TO offense to a multiple offense. But what are other concerns?

What do you expect the attendance will be for the USF game? I'm thinking 40-45k. If that number is short of 40k do we think there is more of a "rebuild" of the brand than previously thought?

Do we have concerns for coaching capabilities? Having a TO neutralized a lot of the talent gap we had. Can Collins lead us to a .500 or better record in year 1? And if not how or will that effect recruiting for 2020. You'd think he would need an upset or two to convince some high 4 star and 5 star players to come here.

I've heard from some "older" yellow jackets that his "gimmick" style of excitement is cheap and they dislike it.
Ex: swag chalice, DJ at practices, storm troopers holding signs on sideline, his use of social media.
I find this as passion and it's good to have a coach who thinks outside of the box. That's how the forward pass was created! Outside the box!

I've only listed a few concerns. What do you have? Let's try to focus on new concerns rather than things we have known all along. Those you would figure are being addressed by the staff.

Also, what are your expectations year 1 to year 2? I'm hoping for .500 or better this year with year 2 meaning ACC championship. Tall order, but possible.

My biggest concern is unrealistic expectations by the fan base. This is a complete makeover, the likes of which have not been done on the Flats in living memory. It will take time and total commitment to recruiting, player development, and passion by the coaching staff which seems to be a given at this point. The schedule for the 2020 season is arguably the most challenging in a generation which potentially could nip a resurgent program in the bud. As far as the offense and defense, well, we knew what we were getting into from the get go. I anticipate it will take a minimum of three possibly four years before there are major improvements in the roster that will make what went on before a distant memory.

One reservation I have that has not been mentioned in replacing Parker on offense and ASA on defense. Those two will be hard to replace and although we did not lose many players to graduation we have not recruited very well in some positions either. Like a lot of things, it is going to be a mixed bag for a while.

Last edited:

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
I don'thave any concerns. I think we can win between 7-10 games this year. Team could have won 10 games last year.

People make too much out of the option. We have good amount of "football players" on our team.

It will be hard to go athlete on Athlete vs Clemson and UGA. Besides those games the games will be elose.

Only concern I have is a bunch of injuries which kills our chance of making a bowl and killing recruiting momentum.

I really expect our defense to be good next year. Which should keep us in most games

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I don'thave any concerns. I think we can win between 7-10 games this year. Team could have won 10 games last year.

People make too much out of the option. We have good amount of "football players" on our team.

It will be hard to go athlete on Athlete vs Clemson and UGA. Besides those games the games will be elose.

Only concern I have is a bunch of injuries which kills our chance of making a bowl and killing recruiting momentum.

I really expect our defense to be good next year. Which should keep us in most games

Although I'm not quite as optimistic as Treb1982 (I think we can going bowling, not sure about more than that), I share a lot of his sentiments.

1. Injuries could blow us out of the water but I think we have a lot of nice pieces for the new staff to work with to favorably compete in the ACCCD.

2. I see an immediate and significant improvement in special teams because of CGC and the team will be a year older (lots of youngsters played last year).

3. We lose Anree & Branch, but, again, we've got some pieces to form a decent DL which should assist arguably the most talented position on the team, our DBs.

4. My biggest concern is the current unknown of how our we'll fare on O, particularly at QB. I hope Coach Pat is awake right now (2am) working on ways to get the ball to our playmakers, because, thanks to CGC, we have some at TE (the UCONN xfer), WR (assuming Ezzard is eligible), and RB (Griffin).

5. Finally, I hope those who are skeptical about CGC's "shtick" so called "gimmicks" understand that with our change from the 3O we are 100% in the Jimmy & Joe game now, a game he and most of his staff know how to play. If his methods take our talent level past the UNCs, VTs, NCSTs, Louisvilles... of the ACC, and the lower 2/3rds of the SEC, then he will be the absolute best hire we could have made coming after CPJ.

Only time will tell but we'll have a very good indicator on signing day this December.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We lost our entire starting DL which was the strength of a bad D. Now we add a spot to it while changing scheme and terminology for the whole D. And don’t forget moving guys to new positions. Our back 8 was horrible last year especially the LB corps. I don’t see where all the D optimism is coming from.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We lost our entire starting DL which was the strength of a bad D. Now we add a spot to it while changing scheme and terminology for the whole D. And don’t forget moving guys to new positions. Our back 8 was horrible last year especially the LB corps. I don’t see where all the D optimism is coming from.
th

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I don't, either. And on offense, there's reason for optimism as per "skilled" positions, but OL is the bigger concern.
Hoping for a nice surprise (one of the great things about college football is its unpredictability), but I hope everyone is braced for impact this year just in case.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My biggest concern is unrealistic expectations by the fan base. This is a complete makeover, the likes of which have not been done on the Flats in living memory. It will take time and total commitment to recruiting, player development, and passion by the coaching staff which seems to be a given at this point. The schedule for the 2020 season is arguably the most challenging in a generation which potentially could nip a resurgent program in the bud. As far as the offense and defense, well, we knew what we were getting into from the get go. I anticipate it will take a minimum of three possibly four years before there are major improvements in the roster that will make what went on before a distant memory.

One reservation I have that has not been mentioned in replacing Parker on offense and ASA on defense. Those two will be hard to replace and although we did not lose many players to graduation we have not recruited very well in some positions either. Like a lot of things, it is going to be a mixed bag for a while.
Hmmmmmm. How bad is your Alzheimers? If you recall, in 2008 we went from the same offense we'll be running next year to the spread option and had to convert a variety of players to new positions (my favorite = Austin Varrick from TE to OT) and train all of our O skill players to a whole new set of requirements. I mean, there's no question that going back to the real high school offense and the 4 - 3 will be a challenge and your four year timeline is probably right, but this is hardly the biggest makeover even in the last 15 years.

You're right about Parker and Saint-Amour. Those guys were both prime football players and will be missed.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't, either. And on offense, there's reason for optimism as per "skilled" positions, but OL is the bigger concern.
Hoping for a nice surprise (one of the great things about college football is its unpredictability), but I hope everyone is braced for impact this year just in case.
1600-brace-for-impact.jpg

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
5. Finally, I hope those who are skeptical about CGC's "shtick" so called "gimmicks" understand that with our change from the 3O we are 100% in the Jimmy & Joe game now, a game he and most of his staff know how to play. If his methods take our talent level past the UNCs, VTs, NCSTs, Louisvilles... of the ACC, and the lower 2/3rds of the SEC, then he will be the absolute best hire we could have made coming after CPJ.

Only time will tell but we'll have a very good indicator on signing day this December.
Bingo! Taking our "talent level" past schools that let in most any athlete who can breathe is not going to be possible without changes that nobody who has the power to make them is willing to make. I'm sure that Coach would disagree and tell me that he has ways to address this problem. I'm sure he does and that our recruiting will improve as a result. But we are not going to be able to out recruit the schools named above (we can get even with, maybe, VT; they have some of our problems) or any of the SEC schools except, perhaps, Vandy.

Tech can do ok with that; it always has. I don't doubt that Coach and his staff can back up some of their boasts. I have about zero confidence, however, that we will break some kind of recruiting wall consistently enough to deliver on a "Jimmy and Joe game". We've had coaches who made some progress in this in the past, mainly because they were recruiting in a different environment and had some first class luck in their choices. I hope Coach has similar luck, but I don't look for a sea change in the kinds of players we can attract.

Animal02

Banned
Bingo! Taking our "talent level" past schools that let in most any athlete who can breathe is not going to be possible without changes that nobody who has the power to make them is willing to make. I'm sure that Coach would disagree and tell me that he has ways to address this problem. I'm sure he does and that our recruiting will improve as a result. But we are not going to be able to out recruit the schools named above (we can get even with, maybe, VT; they have some of our problems) or any of the SEC schools except, perhaps, Vandy.

Tech can do ok with that; it always has. I don't doubt that Coach and his staff can back up some of their boasts. I have about zero confidence, however, that we will break some kind of recruiting wall consistently enough to deliver on a "Jimmy and Joe game". We've had coaches who made some progress in this in the past, mainly because they were recruiting in a different environment and had some first class luck in their choices. I hope Coach has similar luck, but I don't look for a sea change in the kinds of players we can attract.
You are being to realistic for many posting on this board......You are now deemed TOO negative and need to shut up and sit in the back like the rest of us have been told. You may not express your opinion until you buy into all the hype. :p