Replay Study: GT Offense vs Miami

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If they were stealing our signals, then not to happy with coaching staff. That is bush league that we did not do a better job of hiding signals. Boomer I watched the replay as well and felt oline blocking ok but aback and to some extent wr blocking was weak. They made some blocks but missed a bunch. Aback play to me was not as good as some think, including the running. We had some space on the outside. Miami did a good job at times of coming behind out pulling linemen. I will say the team played hard and could have quit but didn't and Mills is a stud. Defense was a mixed bag. UM scored td's 2 of their 3 first half possessions. Played better second half, but when critical, gave insider position to receiver.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My glance at our poor D play on the Miami rushing TDs: First Miami rushing score was the same 6 gap as the Dawg score with Michel last season. The WLB filled the inside (wrong) gap, got caught up in the traffic, and helped cut off other pursuit. Same result both plays. In the Miami play the boundary CB lost the ball, cut inside, and left the outside wide open for the run.

In the second Miami rushing score the DE and S lined up next to each other (S on the TE or OT and DE wide to pass rush) on the LOS and both got blocked, DE to the outside and S got velcroed to his man in his tracks and a wide separation developed between the two, even though they lined up side by side. The other two DBs on the play side ran with receivers with their backs turned as the running back went easily untouched in the end zone. LBs were a no show. This was unusual to see a S line up with his hand in the dirt head on an OLineman and the DE line up outside in space. Obviously it did not end well.

Longestday does a great job of analyzing our O. Anyone for D?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have thought that our D signals were being ripped since the middle of Roof's first year. I still wonder.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On first TD watch cornerback getting sucked the wrong way. He is last line of defense and got drawn inside. Once realized missteps, it was too late.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My glance at our poor D play on the Miami rushing TDs: First Miami rushing score was the same 6 gap as the Dawg score with Michel last season. The WLB filled the inside (wrong) gap, got caught up in the traffic, and helped cut off other pursuit. Same result both plays. In the Miami play the boundary CB lost the ball, cut inside, and left the outside wide open for the run.

In the second Miami rushing score the DE and S lined up next to each other (S on the TE or OT and DE wide to pass rush) on the LOS and both got blocked, DE to the outside and S got velcroed to his man in his tracks and a wide separation developed between the two, even though they lined up side by side. The other two DBs on the play side ran with receivers with their backs turned as the running back went easily untouched in the end zone. LBs were a no show. This was unusual to see a S line up with his hand in the dirt head on an OLineman and the DE line up outside in space. Obviously it did not end well.

Longestday does a great job of analyzing our O. Anyone for D?

The run in miami and uga where we got slammed on run right looked like a run in acc championship. We were rolling and really needed a stop. Fsu ran right and fsu right tackle thru the de out of way and we had no inside pursuit .

Hope our new shorter stouter dt make a difference in the pursuit.

Go JACKETS

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
It's funny, in baseball, as a hitter, I never wanted the signals. If I knew what was coming, I would get so aggressive I would chase anything. That or I would think, what if they screwed up and gave me the wrong one? Stuff like that. Obviously, football would benefit greatly if they knew what was coming, so long as they had time to get lined up.

This is pretty out of the scope, but as a former catcher, I have lots of experience with this. If they know signs, they crushed it. I agree that it's hard to control your swing knowing it's coming, but it's also really hard to hit something that you didn't know was coming.

Did he mean that CPJ and Tevin were doing that short motion to see their reaction, then call the check from the sidelines to JT who then relayed it to the team? If so, there's a reason a lot of catchers call their own games -- basic system design, fewer points of failure.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just sat down and watched the 1st half of the game. I was surprised as just how good Tech looked for the majority of the half, 4 plays jumped out at me and I'm sure you're all aware of the ones I'm referring to. But let me put my .2 in. The block below the waist on Will Bryan was an absolute joke, based on the call it was outside the tackle box.Review of the film shows otherwise and the announcers said the same. The hold on Freddie Burden was very questionable, I've seen a whole lot worse not called. Now the 2 biggest plays, on the first scoop and score JJ is running down the seam, wide open, if JeT releases the ball a half a count earlier it's a huge gainer if not a TD. On the second, poor pitch relation by the A back but in all honesty JeT should have held the ball. Outside of these 4 plays I saw an offense that wasn't being stopped or really slowed by the Miami D. In a game this close 1 or 2 plays mean a lot and you don't get a do over but I will say if Tech plays like this the remainder of the season other teams best watch out. I'll watch the 2nd half later this evening or tomorrow but I feel better now than I did when I left the stadium Saturday.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm rewatching the game right now. Besides the 2 fumble 6's the O looked pretty good running the ball. We did drop a td pass and the holding call in the first half hurt. The D looks good against the run but can't cover anyone. And beeline me I love JT but his body language sucks when things don't go his way.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
link from thevelcrofly

Coach West explains what the o-line didn't do that helped cause the fumbles. (starting around the 3:20 mark...)