Replay Study: GT Offense vs Miami

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks as always, one of the best post game threads as usual.

1) I was under the impression that JT was changing the plays a lot at the line based on the D. Do you have any insight? I love the no huddle since it would seem to allow changing the plays after they are signaled in to a greater extent.
2) I just wish we would go up and hike the ball immediately more times. Did we ever just line up and hike it during the game?
3) Could you see if there were regularly open receivers that JT missed? If you have the same camera view from ESPN that I did, you can only see a small part of the field. On some of the end zone replays, I saw open receivers. But given JT's height and the pass rush blocking his view, I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't.
4) Mills is my favorite O player. No one knows his ceiling so we can really only comment on what he has done in the first 5 games. Based on that, I'd say he is as good or better than any BB we have had in their first five games. Including Dwyer.
The checks were coming from the sideline. That is one of the best facets of the no huddle. CPJ was putting us into the right play. I don't think JT really threw a bad ball that I can remember. We had a couple drops. There is not a lot of space out there for him to throw, especially near the boundary.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm just curious boomer why we don't utilize more of short passing game i.e. Slants and curls or flats instead of throwing 40 yard bombs any insight would be appreciated.
The only play I have ever called for to augment our passing game happened yesterday for a TD. I have felt for a long time that if the BB just slips out after going into pass protection, he would have tons of grass. Teams are bringing the house when we throw and the other receivers are usually vertical. It has been there for years and we rarely used it. Our BB should chip a guy and release. Other than that, I am not a fan of slants etc in our offense. Just look at where defenders line up in the first place. They all want to disrupt the pitch lanes. Well, that is where slants go.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The only play I have ever called for to augment our passing game happened yesterday for a TD. I have felt for a long time that if the BB just slips out after going into pass protection, he would have tons of grass. Teams are bringing the house when we throw and the other receivers are usually vertical. It has been there for years and we rarely used it. Our BB should chip a guy and release. Other than that, I am not a fan of slants etc in our offense. Just look at where defenders line up in the first place. They all want to disrupt the pitch lanes. Well, that is where slants go.

In 65 & I think in 66, Georgia beat us using that exact play to get critical first down. The fulback slipped into open area and qb hit him w quick pass. It wS a perfect play call because it w

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The checks were coming from the sideline. That is one of the best facets of the no huddle. CPJ was putting us into the right play. I don't think JT really threw a bad ball that I can remember. We had a couple drops. There is not a lot of space out there for him to throw, especially near the boundary.
CPJ said on show tonite that Miami had our signals.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The screen pass play to MLD in the 1st Q looked fishy. Watch the defensive end, peak at MLD and then heat seek to him on the play. How did he know we would do the first ever screen to the WR?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I would put Miami's defense ahead of Vandy but slightly behind BC and Clemson in terms of quality. They have some fast players and they made the field look small. They played 3-4 but did a lot of shifting and blitzing. Sometimes they would stack the LBs with one almost as deep as the safeties. They are a hard team to block out in space because of their athleticism. They will give a lot of teams trouble on that side of the ball I'm sure.

After this second viewing, honestly, I came away feeling much better than I have after any game this season. We executed at a much higher level on most plays and had control of the ball and the game most of the time. Although we weren't explosive, we pounded them pretty good. The sad part is, you can't just erase the penalties, drops, or the huge breakdowns on the scoop and score plays. They were a small percentage of our snaps, but they had a drastic impact on the outcome. Without them, I am convinced that we win this game. In many ways, this game reminded me of UGA 2014. There was a point in the third quarter where we had them at the point of breaking. The problem is, we had spotted them so many points that it gave them life. When you watch only offensive series, you don't see how they shredded our defense at times, so you have the illusion of being in control. We should have been, but we were behind on the scoreboard.

Lynn Griffin got some playing time, more than we have seen yet. He looked good to me and I think he should get more snaps. He blocked better than the other ABs and sprung some people in the process. JJ Green looks good running. He looks physical and elusive when he has the ball, but he has trouble bringing that to the table when it is time to block. Lynch and Searcy were hit and miss blocking. Lynch made some good plays with his feet and hands and got us some extra yards and clutch conversions. All in all, it was a better day for the ABs.

I hope you guys like Mills. The kid is just a football player. I can't think of another true frosh who has been so impactful running the football. He is tough and ALWAYS gets the extra two yards. He finds the daylight while dancing past the slashers in the trash and then pounds the tacklers who arrive later. I just ask myself, how good is this guy going to get?

I think our OL was more solid on assignments this go around, but the breakdowns obviously cost us a lot more when they happened. They were fewer in number, so that is a positive an something to build on. Shamire wasn't moving well on the bad wheel so he exited pretty early, giving Braun a ton of snaps. The kid played well and deserves to be a part of the rotation. We didn't get to every pursuer at the second level, but we were more disruptive than we had been against Climpsum. We are starting to gel on the interior. I am encouraged.

One thing we have to improve at, nearly to a man (with Mills as the exception), is to just put our pads down and get a couple tough yards instead of dancing and twisting as defenders close in. Too many times we left a much needed two yards on the table because of a lack of decisiveness or just not recognizing when a play was cooked.

I know this is akin to rank heresy but I am going to say it anyway. Mills very much reminds me of some of the better UGA tailbacks we have faced in years past. You know, the ones that we would hit and seemingly have stopped and they would plow ahead for that extra yard or so. Not the fastest guy or the most elusive but by golly every inch of this young man says football player. I also agree about the pace of the game favoring us. If not for the two scoop and scores, we had them right where we wanted them playing our kind of game. Miami is athletic, as always, and Kaaya is a good quarterback but I was not as impressed with them as some seem to be. Woe be unto them if Clemson or Louisville gets a hold of them on national television it would be a massacre. Quite frankly, we have played Miami teams in the past that were much better than this one. Still, for the Coastal, a pretty good team and definitely a contender. We really need a signature win on the road against Pitt.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Holy mother of God how did that happen? I guess its back to sending the plays in by committee. Even knowing our signals did not keep them from getting gashed in the running game.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes he did. I was sitting 15 feet away. For having our signals, they sure didn't shut us down. I would expect better. It was probably later in the game before they figured them out. CFB should go to speakers in the helmet. Stealing signals goes on in every game where there are signals. It's nonsense. Just play.

It's funny, in baseball, as a hitter, I never wanted the signals. If I knew what was coming, I would get so aggressive I would chase anything. That or I would think, what if they screwed up and gave me the wrong one? Stuff like that. Obviously, football would benefit greatly if they knew what was coming, so long as they had time to get lined up.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes he did. I was sitting 15 feet away. For having our signals, they sure didn't shut us down. I would expect better. It was probably later in the game before they figured them out. CFB should go to speakers in the helmet. Stealing signals goes on in every game where there are signals. It's nonsense. Just play.

It's funny, in baseball, as a hitter, I never wanted the signals. If I knew what was coming, I would get so aggressive I would chase anything. That or I would think, what if they screwed up and gave me the wrong one? Stuff like that. Obviously, football would benefit greatly if they knew what was coming, so long as they had time to get lined up.
I liked how he used this fact to point out that if you have a team that has 3 guys giving signals then that works. AGAIN, another drawback of not having enough staff. He certainly hammered that home tonight.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I liked how he used this fact to point out that if you have a team that has 3 guys giving signals then that works. AGAIN, another drawback of not having enough staff. He certainly hammered that home tonight.

I don't think it's related. Iiuc, extra staff doesn't mean extra on sidelines.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'd like to see more of a rotation with Mills and Marshall. Like we had with Laskey and Days in 2014. Maybe even a formation with 2 B backs and 1 A back... Mills, Marshall and Lynch.
Until Laskey got hurt that year it was pretty much all Laskey.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Laskey pounded Miami on the dive. That was a dominating performance by GT that night. We can get back to that point with the entire team being committed to the "GT"

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have to say that I just rewatched the video last night myself, and we did perform MUCH better on offense that I had thought we had when I watched it live in the stadium.

I am more encouraged than I was before viewing the tape. Maybe we do have some talent and some chance with this team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Most teams usually have their backup QBs signaling plays from the sidelines, so lack of staff shouldn't be an issue. If our backup QBs don't know the offense well enough to signal in the plays (that's a whole othere issue if that's the case), at least Lamar Owens and Tevin could both signal them in.

Lack of staff is a legit concern with recruiting and certain other things, but signaling in plays shouldn't be one of them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Agree

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I have to say that I just rewatched the video last night myself, and we did perform MUCH better on offense that I had thought we had when I watched it live in the stadium.

I am more encouraged than I was before viewing the tape. Maybe we do have some talent and some chance with this team.
I didn't watch the game; I listened to it driving back from the beach...I was mightily encouraged by what I heard, despite the miscues. Cudos to Demetra and Bedford for so clearly explaining what was happening in the game.

Also thanks to the Tech gameday app for giving me the audio through the desolation of south Alabama.