Replay Study: GT Offense vs Miami

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would put Miami's defense ahead of Vandy but slightly behind BC and Clemson in terms of quality. They have some fast players and they made the field look small. They played 3-4 but did a lot of shifting and blitzing. Sometimes they would stack the LBs with one almost as deep as the safeties. They are a hard team to block out in space because of their athleticism. They will give a lot of teams trouble on that side of the ball I'm sure.

After this second viewing, honestly, I came away feeling much better than I have after any game this season. We executed at a much higher level on most plays and had control of the ball and the game most of the time. Although we weren't explosive, we pounded them pretty good. The sad part is, you can't just erase the penalties, drops, or the huge breakdowns on the scoop and score plays. They were a small percentage of our snaps, but they had a drastic impact on the outcome. Without them, I am convinced that we win this game. In many ways, this game reminded me of UGA 2014. There was a point in the third quarter where we had them at the point of breaking. The problem is, we had spotted them so many points that it gave them life. When you watch only offensive series, you don't see how they shredded our defense at times, so you have the illusion of being in control. We should have been, but we were behind on the scoreboard.

Lynn Griffin got some playing time, more than we have seen yet. He looked good to me and I think he should get more snaps. He blocked better than the other ABs and sprung some people in the process. JJ Green looks good running. He looks physical and elusive when he has the ball, but he has trouble bringing that to the table when it is time to block. Lynch and Searcy were hit and miss blocking. Lynch made some good plays with his feet and hands and got us some extra yards and clutch conversions. All in all, it was a better day for the ABs.

I hope you guys like Mills. The kid is just a football player. I can't think of another true frosh who has been so impactful running the football. He is tough and ALWAYS gets the extra two yards. He finds the daylight while dancing past the slashers in the trash and then pounds the tacklers who arrive later. I just ask myself, how good is this guy going to get?

I think our OL was more solid on assignments this go around, but the breakdowns obviously cost us a lot more when they happened. They were fewer in number, so that is a positive an something to build on. Shamire wasn't moving well on the bad wheel so he exited pretty early, giving Braun a ton of snaps. The kid played well and deserves to be a part of the rotation. We didn't get to every pursuer at the second level, but we were more disruptive than we had been against Climpsum. We are starting to gel on the interior. I am encouraged.

One thing we have to improve at, nearly to a man (with Mills as the exception), is to just put our pads down and get a couple tough yards instead of dancing and twisting as defenders close in. Too many times we left a much needed two yards on the table because of a lack of decisiveness or just not recognizing when a play was cooked.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I would put Miami's defense ahead of Vandy but slightly behind BC and Clemson in terms of quality. They have some fast players and they made the field look small. They played 3-4 but did a lot of shifting and blitzing. Sometimes they would stack the LBs with one almost as deep as the safeties. They are a hard team to block out in space because of their athleticism. They will give a lot of teams trouble on that side of the ball I'm sure.

After this second viewing, honestly, I came away feeling much better than I have after any game this season. We executed at a much higher level on most plays and had control of the ball and the game most of the time. Although we weren't explosive, we pounded them pretty good. The sad part is, you can't just erase the penalties, drops, or the huge breakdowns on the scoop and score plays. They were a small percentage of our snaps, but they had a drastic impact on the outcome. Without them, I am convinced that we win this game. In many ways, this game reminded me of UGA 2014. There was a point in the third quarter where we had them at the point of breaking. The problem is, we had spotted them so many points that it gave them life. When you watch only offensive series, you don't see how they shredded our defense at times, so you have the illusion of being in control. We should have been, but we were behind on the scoreboard.

Lynn Griffin got some playing time, more than we have seen yet. He looked good to me and I think he should get more snaps. He blocked better than the other ABs and sprung some people in the process. JJ Green looks good running. He looks physical and elusive when he has the ball, but he has trouble bringing that to the table when it is time to block. Lynch and Searcy were hit and miss blocking. Lynch made some good plays with his feet and hands and got us some extra yards and clutch conversions. All in all, it was a better day for the ABs.

I hope you guys like Mills. The kid is just a football player. I can't think of another true frosh who has been so impactful running the football. He is tough and ALWAYS gets the extra two yards. He finds the daylight while dancing past the slashers in the trash and then pounds the tacklers who arrive later. I just ask myself, how good is this guy going to get?

I think our OL was more solid on assignments this go around, but the breakdowns obviously cost us a lot more when they happened. They were fewer in number, so that is a positive an something to build on. Shamire wasn't moving well on the bad wheel so he exited pretty early, giving Braun a ton of snaps. The kid played well and deserves to be a part of the rotation. We didn't get to every pursuer at the second level, but we were more disruptive than we had been against Climpsum. We are starting to gel on the interior. I am encouraged.

One thing we have to improve at, nearly to a man (with Mills as the exception), is to just put our pads down and get a couple tough yards instead of dancing and twisting as defenders close in. Too many times we left a much needed two yards on the table because of a lack of decisiveness or just not recognizing when a play was cooked.
How do you think JT played and what's your take on the no huddle O?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like the pace we played with the no-huddle. I think it got us going to the correct side and diffused some of their shifting etc.

JT, played OK, since you asked. I only saw a couple of reads that would go the other way. He danced a couple times instead of getting what he could. The first scoop and score, I'm really not sure what he could have done differently. The second was pretty freshman like, but he also had an AB not looking at him despite the urgent need to do so. I thought JT found receivers (backs) under duress and made good throws.

The offense needs the WRs to step up.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks as always, one of the best post game threads as usual.

1) I was under the impression that JT was changing the plays a lot at the line based on the D. Do you have any insight? I love the no huddle since it would seem to allow changing the plays after they are signaled in to a greater extent.
2) I just wish we would go up and hike the ball immediately more times. Did we ever just line up and hike it during the game?
3) Could you see if there were regularly open receivers that JT missed? If you have the same camera view from ESPN that I did, you can only see a small part of the field. On some of the end zone replays, I saw open receivers. But given JT's height and the pass rush blocking his view, I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't.
4) Mills is my favorite O player. No one knows his ceiling so we can really only comment on what he has done in the first 5 games. Based on that, I'd say he is as good or better than any BB we have had in their first five games. Including Dwyer.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't say when I've felt as good after a two TD loss. I know I'm a glass half full guy so take this with a grain of salt. Other than the two fumbles, it was a solid game against a talented and well coached Miami team that was rested and had two (or more) weeks to prepare for us. Until their double penalty in the 4th, Miami had played smart - no turnovers and only one five yard penalty. If we hold on to one of the two passes to the end zone in the 4th qtr, I think we get into OT and maybe win. We are a much better team than we were two weeks ago against Vandy. The defense has improved the most.

Now the bad news. The Coastal is going to be murder for the foreseeable future. Going 4-2 in the Coastal might deserve ACC Coach of the Year.

I think a Tech team that can go 5-3 in the ACC this year will really enjoy Thanksgiving weekend.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This may be a dumb question but is it possible Devine’s size hurts the dive? Most guards aren’t that big they’re usually tackles and I’m just wondering if there isn’t as much of a crease to slide through because of how big he is.

I'm just curious boomer why we don't utilize more of short passing game i.e. Slants and curls or flats instead of throwing 40 yard bombs any insight would be appreciated.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There was some short passing. The long passes need to be more fire before the look??!!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm just saying with possession type receivers we could dunk and dunk down the field.

In theory, it 8 and 9 man boxes throwing in a congested area is not ideal. There have been very few bombs this year, if so then it was to an Aback on a wheel or streaking down the middle of the field

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
It still aggravates me that game could've been ours. Felt very much like a typical uga loss. If it weren't for a couple mistakes and penalties we win that game fairly easily I believe. Man I wish Corn Elder would've picked us!

Well I feel if they are saying point out to be in the backfield to stop the run a slant pattern would make the lbs have to stay home for a while or the slant would be there all day. Just and observation maybe I'm wrong.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
RE: Short passing game

One of the things about the defense crowding the box is that defenders are able to cut off passing lanes. That's not good when our QB is around 5'9ish. Unlike most "spread" alignments where the slot receivers are are 5-8 yards away from the OTs, our ABs (essentially slot WR for all intents and purposes in our offense) are extremely close to the tackles. That's a different passing angle than typical slot WRs in other offenses. Why is 5-8 yards of position important? It provides a better angle for passing lanes. If you haven't seen it yet, you should watch videos of Air Raid and West Coast passing breakdowns and they discuss passing angles and lanes.

We've had some success in the past with WRs doing quick slants, or shorter timing routes. One of the byproducts of that with the WRs is the CBs start playing closer to the LOS. Well, given what we do with our running game, having CBs playing closer to the LOS is not a good thing for our option game.

There's a lot of moving parts to any passing game. Let's be realistic here, we're a running team. The more we put into the passing game, the less we put into the running game. Right now, our offense isn't humming to the point our running game is where it needs to be therefore the focus is correcting our bread and butter: the option run game. Until we're able to do that, I think our passing will have to suffer a bit.

However, I do believe we can try to implement 1-2 new passing or option concepts per game that complements our base offense to slow the defenses from playing downhill. Concepts like the Run-Pass Option I suggested in another thread. Something new to make the defense hesitant since they haven't seen it on film. Speed of defenses reacting to our offense is our biggest enemy. When CPJ first got here, defender's heads were spinning when they played us. I think after 9 years, defenses have seen our offense on the field and in film room enough that our adjustments and playing against us has slowed down. They're able to play faster now...and against teams with superior athletes, it becomes an uphill battle for us.

the reason i ask is my high school team whom I love dearly switched from the wing t to a spread option. It works wonders for opening up running lanes. They are avg 300 yrds rushing and almost 200 passing. 2nd in the state in scoring offense in their classification.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
I only caught the last quarter live on TV, and from what I saw, JT's passes just weren't very crisp. Not quite a full on duck, but not a tight spiral either. I wonder if they were thrown just a little bit better, the two drops in the end zone would have been caught. Give props to Miami's safeties for stripping the ball out as the receiver came down with the ball.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
RE: Short passing game

However, I do believe we can try to implement 1-2 new passing or option concepts per game that complements our base offense to slow the defenses from playing downhill. Concepts like the Run-Pass Option I suggested in another thread. Something new to make the defense hesitant since they haven't seen it on film. Speed of defenses reacting to our offense is our biggest enemy. When CPJ first got here, defender's heads were spinning when they played us. I think after 9 years, defenses have seen our offense on the field and in film room enough that our adjustments and playing against us has slowed down. They're able to play faster now...and against teams with superior athletes, it becomes an uphill battle for us.

Was the first fumble a run-pass option? It sure looked like it live -- AB was wide open in the alley and the pitch was there -- but I haven't seen the tape.