Remembering Hewitt

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The anti-Hewitt stuff is quite clearly personal. I generally stay away from it at this point. It's comical.

Most would give 2 arms to have a coach come be as big a failure(sic) as Hewitt supposedly was. Anyone disagreeing with that has an agenda or just hasn't really been paying attention.

Dude's time ran it's course. Not sure why folks refuse to acknowledge the good and refuse to let go of the hatred. Hatred of him personally, not of the contract.

And can we stahhp with all the imbounds stuff. It's silly and revisionist.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
10 years ago I was telling everyone I would never miss Hewitt......sadly...I would love to have a Hewitt talent team right now (if they could just inbound the ball). Holy **** GT BB is really at an all time low.

I also said it in chat a few times and I dont really want to be that guy again but.....If CJP cant recruit anyone in the next class he is not going to get it done at GT. At least Gregory was bringing in highly rated prospects. If I remember correctly, one of the big reasons MBOB hired CJP was because he was a recruiting machine. Clearly thats not working.

Ill take the 2009 team with Gani, Favors, Shump, Peacock, BO, and Glen Rice Jr anyday over what we have been seeing lately.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The anti-Hewitt stuff is quite clearly personal. I generally stay away from it at this point. It's comical.

Most would give 2 arms to have a coach come be as big a failure(sic) as Hewitt supposedly was. Anyone disagreeing with that has an agenda or just hasn't really been paying attention.

Dude's time ran it's course. Not sure why folks refuse to acknowledge the good and refuse to let go of the hatred. Hatred of him personally, not of the contract.

And can we stahhp with all the imbounds stuff. It's silly and revisionist.

The character assasinations on Hewitt...whatever. Maybe people hate that he had a good agent and accepted a crazy contract offer by GT (still probably one of the dumbest contracts in college sports).

All I know is the San Antonio weekend will go down as one of the best times of my GT fanhood.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Funny to see this thread this am. I coincidentally showed my 7 year old the DVD (not HD) video of the 2003-4 Team that Bee-Lieved yesterday! That was soooo long ago. My son, just started following sports seriously last year and was into GT bball until we started losing and FSU kept winning. he is now a FSU bball fan (thanks to his mother), and I can't blame him. it kills me. I wish a I had the answer. That was a great team to root for. Ish' dunks were insane.

Basically, if we could get all of the GA kids that go to FSU to come to Tech, we would be set.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Funny to see this thread this am. I coincidentally showed my 7 year old the DVD (not HD) video of the 2003-4 Team that Bee-Lieved yesterday! That was soooo long ago. My son, just started following sports seriously last year and was into GT bball until we started losing and FSU kept winning. he is now a FSU bball fan (thanks to his mother), and I can't blame him. it kills me. I wish a I had the answer. That was a great team to root for. Ish' dunks were insane.

Basically, if we could get all of the GA kids that go to FSU to come to Tech, we would be set.

kg03 wants desperately to be a GT fan. Desperately. But we simply refuse to give him any semblance of a reason to.

Kid's 10 and refuses to be a UGA fan (#Raisin'EmRite) but I can't keep having him sit down with me to watch Tech get their teeth beat in by the likes of Clemson and VPI.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
kg03 wants desperately to be a GT fan. Desperately. But we simply refuse to give him any semblance of a reason to.

Kid's 10 and refuses to be a UGA fan (#Raisin'EmRite) but I can't keep having him sit down with me to watch Tech get their teeth beat in by the likes of Clemson and VPI.

KG.....Do you hear yourself???

giphy.gif

Pull yourself together and throw a GT jersey on that young man!! (apparel is lit now)

The struggle will make the comeback that much sweeter...we ain't that far away man.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
This thread has gone off the rails. I don't recall Hewitt ever exhibiting any character issues. The comments regarding him getting exposed as a terrible coach when he lost his assistant's however are spot on. Paul was a great recruiter that needed a strong staff to help him run the team. Despite his flaws as a coach he represented the school with integrity from everything I recall. If the reason for hating him is "the contract" that's not his fault. Every single one of us would've signed a perpetual rollover lifetime contract. Don't blame Paul. Blame the idiots that offered it to him.

It was beyond frustrating at the end of the Hewitt era because of the lack of success and what seemed like a never ending saga due to the contract. We all had high expectations of the glory years consistently returning after the success off the 2004-2005 teams. I know I like many couldn't wait for him to go at the end and was pissed when he turned down St. Johns because that would have been our get out of jail free card however if we could turn back time Tech basketball would have probably been better off doing nothing with Hewitt and spending some of the money used to buy him out on a couple of big time assistants to help him get things turned around on the court. As it stands 9 years and two coaches later we are in basketball hell with no end in sight. Hindsight is always 20/20.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
KG.....Do you hear yourself???

Pull yourself together and throw a GT jersey on that young man!! (apparel is lit now)

The struggle will make the comeback that much sweeter...we ain't that far away man.

grreat.gif

Kidding, kidding ... we're still fighting the good fight for GT in the kg household.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What if...
  • Hewitt accepted the St. John's job.
  • Hewitt told his boss, the GT AD, and asked for time to return from vacation to tell his GT players before a formal announcement.
  • During that time, the GT AD asked Hewitt to stay.
  • Hewitt says stte of "it's clearly not working here. I don't have a lot of support." and the AD replies with stte of "You're our guy".
  • Hewitt stays at GT.
  • A year later, the GT AD fires Hewitt.
  • Hewitt asks the GT AD, "I thought I was your guy?" and the AD replies with stte of "Last year we couldn't find anyone better."
How would that change your opinion of Hewitt? Who is responsible for the current state of the program?

This is a hypothetical exercise of course...