Remembering Hewitt

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Yeah but that's not as fun as saying they won because of the technical. Either way he made 2nd FT. My thought was the 3rd miss was on purpose due to the time remaining on the clock.

yes, missed last on purpose
btw--how many remember Blewitt blowing the game yrs ago vs Tenn when he didn't have his shooter miss last attempt with 2 secs left.j.They then got a free pass then past half-ct and the Tenn guy drained the winner, I knew blewitt was gone then

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
btw--how many remember Blewitt blowing the game yrs ago vs Tenn when he didn't have his shooter miss last attempt with 2 secs left.j.They then got a free pass then past half-ct and the Tenn guy drained the winner, I knew blewitt was gone then

Funny you already knew he was gone at that point, which was a year before our Final 4 trip. You shoulda let our Athletic Department know not to give him that contract!!

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
phew_it..... worst tech coach in my 50 years as a tech fan grrrrrrrr

slugboy

Staff member

He did get us to a title game...only Tech basketball coach ever to do that. With his early staff, he was great. He never successfully backfilled his assistant coaching losses, and I’m not entirely sure where to put the blame there (but I feel that Braine and DRad deserve a lot of blame for what happened to our program)

Alright, there’s a lot of blame for Hewitt for not managing his staff better, but I put a TON of blame on Braine and DRad—those guys were AWOL. I can’t and don’t blame Hewitt for accepting a perpetual contract—I can’t think of many people who would turn that down. All the consequences of that deal fall on Braine—it was his job not to do something stupid, and he did something stupid. And the Board supported him.

To me, Morrison is worse, and Gregory was worse. Cremins was better (and his record shows that). Waiting to see on Pastner.

We might be having the same staffing issue with Pastner now.

We off topic yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Let's take a lokk at this analysis.

Hewitt coached at GT for 11 years. His teams were within one game of .500 in conference for 8 of 11 seasons. He went to two ACC tournament finals and a final four.

Gregory coached at GT for 5 years. His team once finished within one game of .500 in conference. That was his final season, with a veteran team. He left little talent behind him. His teams won a grand total of two ACC tournament games, both were in overtime. Gregory's teams never made an ACC tournament semifinal game. Let that sink in.

slugboy

Staff member
Since this topic is “object thrown on court”, Hewitt is way off topic.
I got fished in too.
I’ll cross my fingers for a bit and hope we get back on topic. If not, I’ll move the off topic posts (including mine, of course)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Since this topic is “object thrown on court”, Hewitt is way off topic.
I got fished in too.
I’ll cross my fingers for a bit and hope we get back on topic. If not, I’ll move the off topic posts (including mine, of course)

Staying on topic in this thread be damned, I say!

People remain forever salty about the contractual obligations Paul Hewitt that GT chose to give him, choosing to put the onus on Hewitt.

Braine structured a contract he hoped would keep a rising star. It was a mistake to give away so much leverage & out clauses.

LazyAD begged Hewitt to stay instead of letting him leave for St. John's. LazyAD then restructured the contract to result in long-lasting albatross payouts and leaned on a consultant to hire a mediocre replacement. He should have gone out and raised money from every level of boosters to rid us of the albatross and actually given enough of a **** about hoops to seek a better fit & quality of a coach.

People seem to like reminiscing about LazyAD though because he answered their emails. In reality, he's the single biggest reason we're in the position we're in regarding GT hoops.

slugboy

Staff member
Staying on topic in this thread be damned, I say!

People remain forever salty about the contractual obligations Paul Hewitt that GT chose to give him, choosing to put the onus on Hewitt.

Braine structured a contract he hoped would keep a rising star. It was a mistake to give away so much leverage & out clauses.

LazyAD begged Hewitt to stay instead of letting him leave for St. John's. LazyAD then restructured the contract to result in long-lasting albatross payouts and leaned on a consultant to hire a mediocre replacement. He should have gone out and raised money from every level of boosters to rid us of the albatross and actually given enough of a **** about hoops to seek a better fit & quality of a coach.

People seem to like reminiscing about LazyAD though because he answered their emails. In reality, he's the single biggest reason we're in the position we're in regarding GT hoops.
giphy.gif

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Let's take a lokk at this analysis.

Hewitt coached at GT for 11 years. His teams were within one game of .500 in conference for 8 of 11 seasons. He went to two ACC tournament finals and a final four.

Gregory coached at GT for 5 years. His team once finished within one game of .500 in conference. That was his final season, with a veteran team. He left little talent behind him. His teams won a grand total of two ACC tournament games, both were in overtime. Gregory's teams never made an ACC tournament semifinal game. Let that sink in.
more to the game than just w/l. and he got canned in his last 2 jobs.

Last edited:

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
more to the game than just w/l. and he got canned in his last 2 jobs.

There is more to honesty than denying facts.

Hewitt took the guys that got Cremins to quit to the NCAA tournament his first year. He obviously was better at the beginning than at the end. Mind readers will come up with their own invented reasons why that is true. He absolutely destroyed George Mason when he got there.

With all of that said, Brian Gregory was much worse than Hewitt among the honest people. It isn't close. Among the dishonest, all is possible.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

Hewitt took the guys that got Cremins to quit to the NCAA tournament his first year. He obviously was better at the beginning than at the end. Mind readers will come up with their own invented reasons why that is true. He absolutely destroyed George Mason when he got there.

With all of that said, Brian Gregory was much worse than Hewitt among the honest people. It isn't close. Among the dishonest, all is possible.
If we're going to weigh the raw qualities of P*** H***** versus Brian Gregory in terms of coaching skills, then yeah, Gregory is a worse coach. But if you want to debate who did more damage to our program, then there is no question that (c)PH did far more damage—by several orders of magnitude. Before he tanked (and bankrupted) our BB program, there was no way Brian Gregory would have been considered for our head coach. The fact that he was even in the running is a testament to how deeply H***** buried us in the subsoil. (Granted...he was assisted in ruining our program by some incompetent AD decisions.)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we're going to weigh the raw qualities of P*** H***** versus Brian Gregory in terms of coaching skills, then yeah, Gregory is a worse coach. But if you want to debate who did more damage to our program, then there is no question that (c)PH did far more damage—by several orders of magnitude. Before he tanked (and bankrupted) our BB program, there was no way Brian Gregory would have been considered for our head coach. The fact that he was even in the running is a testament to how deeply H***** buried us in the subsoil. (Granted...he was assisted in ruining our program by some incompetent AD decisions.)

Once again, too much onus being put on Hewitt for accepting a contract and subsequent buyout that were freely offered by former ADs.

When he was replaced, Hewitt left behind Kam Holsey, Mfon Udofia, Glen Rice Jr., Jason Morris, Julian Royal, & Iman Shumpert (who chose to pass on playing for BG), all of which were Top 100 rated recruits. We can debate the merits of those players or how much Hewitt developed them, in hindsight, but let's not pretend like BG didn't have something to work with when he arrived.

The ADs were, far & away, the primary ditch diggers for the current state of GT hoops. It's not even close.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think it is ridiculous to “blame” Hewitt for negotiating a contract all of us wish we could have in our jobs.....and that contract is probably the primary reason for our subsequent woes.

But Hewitt did deserve criticism for the way he coached after that, imho. He seemed to place more emphasis on his role with developing young black coaches than his obligation to either GT or George Mason. (NB-that is pure speculation on my part, but the performance supports that supposition.)

Arguing which person deserved more of the blame seems to me to be....a useless exercise.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

phewitt had issues of character. but your ok with that evidently. you mean his STAFF did. once they left we had problems even inbounding the ball and even ESPN coined his famous.... cto.

Last edited:

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Mods: I get why you moved these posts...but could you have least tried to properly title the thread as, “Trying to exorcise the nightmare that was P—- H——-“? Because that’s what most of us are really trying to do.

It’s a given that I am NOT trying to remember the guy.