Remembering Hewitt

slugboy

Staff member
phewitt had issues of character. but your ok with that evidently. you mean his STAFF did. once they left we had problems even inbounding the ball and even ESPN coined his famous.... cto.
I'm uninformed about these character issues. What did he do that was uncharacteristic of a coach in a similar position?
Was he accused of any activities that we've actually seen at other major NCAA schools (like Louisville, UNC, Arizona, et. al)?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
What if...
  • Hewitt accepted the St. John's job.
  • Hewitt told his boss, the GT AD, and asked for time to return from vacation to tell his GT players before a formal announcement.
  • During that time, the GT AD asked Hewitt to stay.
  • Hewitt says stte of "it's clearly not working here. I don't have a lot of support." and the AD replies with stte of "You're our guy".
  • Hewitt stays at GT.
  • A year later, the GT AD fires Hewitt.
  • Hewitt asks the GT AD, "I thought I was your guy?" and the AD replies with stte of "Last year we couldn't find anyone better."
How would that change your opinion of Hewitt? Who is responsible for the current state of the program?

This is a hypothetical exercise of course...

Did Stephen King write that horror story? :eek: :cry:

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm uninformed about these character issues. What did he do that was uncharacteristic of a coach in a similar position?
Was he accused of any activities that we've actually seen at other major NCAA schools (like Louisville, UNC, Arizona, et. al)?

I believe the uninformed club is full.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Josh Okogie
Tadric Jackson
Solomon poole
Marcus Georges Hunt
Robert Carter Jr

Not Hewitt level... but much better than CJP.
Did nothing with Tadric. Fortunately for Okogie he was never coached by Gregory. Poole left high school early to rescue at bad team and sucked himself before transferring. Carter didn't develop at all and then transferred. MGH was good but Gregory didn't figure out how to best utilize him until the 2nd half of his senior season.
And most of those recruits came early when Tech still had a decent rep based off of Hewitt's time as coach.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I never had an issue with Hewitt personally, it was just time for a change and frankly should have happened a year earlier.

The bigger issue with GT basketball has not been the coaches it has been the administrators, especially Braine and Radakovich. They both made decisions that combined to create a lost decade for GT.

Just because things have been worse since Hewitt left (and they have), doesn't mean it was the wrong decision -it just means the decisions since then have been wrong.

I'll just leave with this thought. Until GT is committed to playing ACC basketball and recruiting it might as well keep Pastner. Other wise all we are doing is making a change, spinning our wheels and repeating every 5 years. We can't keep paying well below market rate and expect to have above market results.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Did nothing with Tadric. Fortunately for Okogie he was never coached by Gregory. Poole left high school early to rescue at bad team and sucked himself before transferring. Carter didn't develop at all and then transferred. MGH was good but Gregory didn't figure out how to best utilize him until the 2nd half of his senior season.
And most of those recruits came early when Tech still had a decent rep based off of Hewitt's time as coach.

Not to mention BG burned a year of Pooles eligibility while the ****ing kid WAS INJURED

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I suspect that a lot of the frustration with CPH came from the belief that he was a better coach than our performance the last several years showed.

When you look at what/how we did the first several years, it's hard to explain what happened.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
yes, missed last on purpose
btw--how many remember Blewitt blowing the game yrs ago vs Tenn when he didn't have his shooter miss last attempt with 2 secs left.j.They then got a free pass then past half-ct and the Tenn guy drained the winner, I knew blewitt was gone then
I watched that game & was stunned!!

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think Hewitt could coach, I think Jarrett Jack was coach of the 04 team , but how I’d love to have some of those recruits he got!!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What if...
  • Hewitt accepted the St. John's job.
  • Hewitt told his boss, the GT AD, and asked for time to return from vacation to tell his GT players before a formal announcement.
  • During that time, the GT AD asked Hewitt to stay.
  • Hewitt says stte of "it's clearly not working here. I don't have a lot of support." and the AD replies with stte of "You're our guy".
  • Hewitt stays at GT.
  • A year later, the GT AD fires Hewitt.
  • Hewitt asks the GT AD, "I thought I was your guy?" and the AD replies with stte of "Last year we couldn't find anyone better."
How would that change your opinion of Hewitt? Who is responsible for the current state of the program?

This is a hypothetical exercise of course...

And then fires him and......we still couldn’t find anyone better....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I suspect that a lot of the frustration with CPH came from the belief that he was a better coach than our performance the last several years showed.

When you look at what/how we did the first several years, it's hard to explain what happened.

It's not hard to explain. Apparently Jarrett Jack coached all his successful teams. The teams before Jack arrived and going back to Sienna too, I guess. :rolleyes:

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
It's not hard to explain. Apparently Jarrett Jack coached all his successful teams. The teams before Jack arrived and going back to Sienna too, I guess. :rolleyes:
Tho Jack was a helluva player! That was a really good team.

StingU2

Jolly Good Fellow
Hewitt is, by a staggering amount, the 2nd best coach in the history of GT basketball. The gap from him to whoever is #3 is wider than the Grand Canyon.

That's ... well, let's just say GT basketball has not really had many good coaches.

Lol... there's no way anyone can debate this.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Like I said, the issues are much more inflicted by the administration than the coaches.
Hewitt was given the automatic rollover because GT couldn't afford to up his salary too much and they were concerned about losing him to other programs or the NBA (of course there was an out for the Knicks in the contract anyways). What they should have done is had a non rollover buyout, but included a longevity bonus. That way if he kept producing there would be a pot for him after so many additional years.

Then of course once DRad decided to fire him, Drad changed the terms of the buyout. Instead of a 5 yr, 1.4MM/per buyout is was modified to an 8 yr, 900K/per buyout. I think this was done because DRad was worried about cash flow, but the long term effect was to increase the length of purgatory for GT from 5 yrs to 8 yrs.

DRad didn't really give a damn about the basketball search and left it up to Eddie Fogler. FWIW, when Gregory was hired he almost turned down the job, because he was concerned he wouldn't have enough money for assts. That was how bad the last couple of AD's had messed up the finances. The scary thing is that among the finalists for the position, Gregory was the best choice.

When Gregory was fired because DRad changed the buyout terms instead of having Hewitt off the books, you still had 3 more years to go and $2.7MM to pay out. This impacted the search which eventually landed Pastner. Which was also flubbed to a degree by Bobinski.

in his final year if he gets the whole contract Pastner would be at $2.3MM, that would still place him in the bottom 2.

GT should just stay the course until they want to get serious about basketball. If they are planning on offering less than $2.5MM and really closer to $3MM, they shouldn't even bother.

Hewitt was much better his first five years than after that, but he at least had some success. FWIW, you can thank Cliff Warren for the guard play during that time and Dean Keener was the coach in charge of the defense at that point. Jack can tell you about how Cliff Warren made him a much better PG.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, the issues are much more inflicted by the administration than the coaches.
Hewitt was given the automatic rollover because GT couldn't afford to up his salary too much and they were concerned about losing him to other programs or the NBA (of course there was an out for the Knicks in the contract anyways). What they should have done is had a non rollover buyout, but included a longevity bonus. That way if he kept producing there would be a pot for him after so many additional years.

Then of course once DRad decided to fire him, Drad changed the terms of the buyout. Instead of a 5 yr, 1.4MM/per buyout is was modified to an 8 yr, 900K/per buyout. I think this was done because DRad was worried about cash flow, but the long term effect was to increase the length of purgatory for GT from 5 yrs to 8 yrs.

DRad didn't really give a damn about the basketball search and left it up to Eddie Fogler. FWIW, when Gregory was hired he almost turned down the job, because he was concerned he wouldn't have enough money for assts. That was how bad the last couple of AD's had messed up the finances. The scary thing is that among the finalists for the position, Gregory was the best choice.

When Gregory was fired because DRad changed the buyout terms instead of having Hewitt off the books, you still had 3 more years to go and $2.7MM to pay out. This impacted the search which eventually landed Pastner. Which was also flubbed to a degree by Bobinski.

in his final year if he gets the whole contract Pastner would be at $2.3MM, that would still place him in the bottom 2.

GT should just stay the course until they want to get serious about basketball. If they are planning on offering less than $2.5MM and really closer to $3MM, they shouldn't even bother.

Hewitt was much better his first five years than after that, but he at least had some success. FWIW, you can thank Cliff Warren for the guard play during that time and Dean Keener was the coach in charge of the defense at that point. Jack can tell you about how Cliff Warren made him a much better PG.
Can we hire Cliff back as an assistant?