Remembering Hewitt

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It could have been the White College Coaches Assoc and I would have been disturbed by the emphasis he placed on it and the resulting on court results of his teams.
I do agree that ultimately, the primary thing that matters is the on court result. I did not say "only thing" because I feel how you represent the school matters as well, and I feel Hewitt was a class act in that regard everywhere I saw him. I gave him an A+ on that score.
But I will admit I was also a bit worried about the outside interests.....

For me, it was clear when the on-court started to suffer but I never drew the connection between that and his off-court interests. Between the asst. coach departures and the key recruiting misses, that's where the blame lay for me.

I never felt like the off-court stuff played any part, really. But I did see how a lot of people turned on him once he became associated with those specific organizations. Some seemed to be incensed by it automatically.

Others, as it seems you're suggesting, connected the diminishing on-court product with the outside stuff. The thought being 'any time you take an eye away from the main thing, it can suffer'. That's totally fair to say, I just don't necessarily agree.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Others, as it seems you're suggesting, connected the diminishing on-court product with the outside stuff. The thought being 'any time you take an eye away from the main thing, it can suffer'. That's totally fair to say, I just don't necessarily agree.

Fair enough.

I will say that I had the chance to have lunch with Hewitt once. I was thoroughly impressed with him as a person. But what do I know...?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think that Paul Hewitt got in Coach Paul Hewitt's way. He became so involved with personal player development and boosting the BCA that he lost sight of what it took to win in college basketball. I truly believe his heart has always been in the right place, but that he maximized the celebrity earned by his early success to further what he saw as a personal campaign (or I could just be full of crap).